Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2022, 09:28 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It would be interesting to see a more granular breakdown. Waterbury is in New Haven County, right? My mom used to live in Guilford. That’s also in New Haven County. It’s hard to imagine Waterbury up almost 40%. Guilford? Sure.
Friends in Waterbury sold a small single family for 60% over it's value a year ago.
Was barely worth 100k for years, sold for 157k
So on a percentage basis it's outperformed. Saw many other examples.
It's easy when the amounts are so small to begin with.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:33 PM

Look at the historical graphs before. Most bull markets in real estate last longer than 2 years.
Prices are sticky as well on the downslope. Your comparing against old sold comps, Houses are leased for a year.
Lastly you simply have denial from those who think the last stop on the gravy train is farther along.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:17 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The RE investor says it won't be as bad as 08 because it's not Countrywide ninja loans. Tsek and CTYank say it will be the worst thing to ever happen because the Fed is printing money.
It may not be as bad as 08 or it may be worse. We just don't know.
The real conundrum is how can these prices stay high if people are fleeing CT ? No one on the leaving CT Facebook group has an answer. Either.

schrodingers real estate buyers strike again?

Old 01-25-2022, 05:58 AM

512 posts, read 351,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The real conundrum is how can these prices stay high if people are fleeing CT ?
People are not fleeing Connecticut, or at least the data I have seen does not support that statement. If your source is the "leaving CT" Facebook page, I am guessing you are hearing a lot of biased anecdotes I believe the population has been fairly steady, with no great changes in either direction.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:30 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
People are not fleeing Connecticut, or at least the data I have seen does not support that statement. If your source is the "leaving CT" Facebook page, I am guessing you are hearing a lot of biased anecdotes I believe the population has been fairly steady, with no great changes in either direction.
MrG was flippant. The 7K FB members are middle income personnel who favor lowered taxes, but more freedoms and more Jesus. It is their right to do so. They say FL has no income tax, yet fail to realize now home costs there are sky high through the roof higher than CT, the part of FL where it counts anyway. What's the point of interior FL, who cares.

Anyone who says people are fleeing should take a look at what happens when a home goes live on the market in CT. Just asks Stylo's friend in Fairfield. 40-50 of those showings were probably NY and NJ residents looking to flee to CT for lower taxes and more freedom and Jesus. Here in CT mask mandates are loosely enforced, if at all. Gov Lamont knows full well it's just a cold and flu season but he has to put in some face time and do some press on COVID, he's going through the motions. If it were up to Govs Murphy and what's her name, they'd have their henchmen in hazmats in humvees whisk you away blindfolded if you went without a mask.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:35 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
The real conundrum is how can these prices stay high if people are fleeing CT ? No one on the leaving CT Facebook group has an answer. Either.

All those new people moving to CT must have a lot of money too. I saw in the news that CT has over a 2 billion dollar surplus.

"Question: When was the last time a Connecticut legislature was poised to adopt a state budget with a $2.3 billion surplus built into it? Answer: Never, until now."

https://ctmirror.org/2021/06/08/new-...of-2-3-billion

Quote:
I must be really old now because I have no idea what a schrodinger is lol. What is a schrodinger?

I missed you Mr. Gompers.....glad to see you back.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Not familiar with the FB group you belong to that you obviously have an issue with....
Of course there are plenty moving out of CT!
It's called life. People change, jobs, divorce,
Go to the Florida forum and read the posts there.

In fact I would encourage most to span the globe here on City Data and get out of your bubble.
Can learn a great deal.....

Why have CT home values shot up. Mostly buyers from NYC. Now every year we have people move from everywhere to CT.
That hasn't changed. The big difference were those tired of the draconian rules of the city and the lack of safety.
These folks also on average are higher net worth buyers who looked at CT like everything was on sale.
All the folks bidding on my home were from NYC. Even a friend who sold a modest house in Waterbury sold it to someone from the Bronx. My new neighbors who just paid 60k over...yep from the city...

Read all the threads here about NYC folks looking to move here. See the massive increase in posts since pre CV!?

Old 01-25-2022, 06:43 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I must be really old now because I have no idea what a schrodinger is lol. What is a schrodinger?
It means the RE market in CT is doing both great and awful at the same time

Old 01-25-2022, 06:44 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Not familiar with the FB group you belong to that you obviously have an issue with....
Of course there are plenty moving out of CT!
It's called life. People change, jobs, divorce,
Go to the Florida forum and read the posts there.

In fact I would encourage most to span the globe here on City Data and get out of your bubble.
Can learn a great deal.....

Why have CT home values shot up. Mostly buyers from NYC. Now every year we have people move from everywhere to CT.
That hasn't changed. The big difference were those tired of the draconian rules of the city and the lack of safety.
These folks also on average are higher net worth buyers who looked at CT like everything was on sale.
All the folks bidding on my home were from NYC. Even a friend who sold a modest house in Waterbury sold it to someone from the Bronx. My new neighbors who just paid 60k over...yep from the city...

Read all the threads here about NYC folks looking to move here. See the massive increase in posts since pre CV!?
Mr. Gompers knows all of the above. He is being facetious in many of his posts.....and that is part of his charm.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Mr. Gompers knows all of the above. He is being facetious in many of his posts.....and that is part of his charm.
How do you define charm!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut