Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2022, 08:21 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Agreed. In my experience its been 20-25% as well. It helps to shop the project if you can. We also found our architect to be a wealth of knowledge and helpful in navigating the selection process, especially with coming up with a list of GCs who would likely be interested in the project.
That’s an excellent suggestion as well. Architects will know the better contractors to work with in the area and help guide you through the design and building process. This is particularly important when building a $2 million home. I’ve seen too many horrible homes built because the owner tried to save money. It sadly shows. Jay

Old 01-21-2022, 08:29 AM

69 posts, read 33,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure where you got that figure but our GC’s markup was no where near that. It was more like 25%. In fact it depended on the sub price. Sometimes he did not mark up the price. Still worth the price. Time is money and anything that gets you done faster is worth it. You won’t regret it. Jay
I have heard many accounts of very high GC markups in this market. 35% was a common figure thrown around.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:08 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That’s an excellent suggestion as well. Architects will know the better contractors to work with in the area and help guide you through the design and building process. This is particularly important when building a $2 million home. I’ve seen too many horrible homes built because the owner tried to save money. It sadly shows. Jay
Yeah, the architect should be the first person hired on the project. Looking at GCs before the architect is putting the cart before the horse. The good ones aren't cheap, but are worth every penny.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:39 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Yesterday's NYTimes headline:

Quote:
Something Has to Give in the Housing Market. Or Does It?
There appears to be no quick reprieve coming for rising prices: “It’s not a bubble, it really is about the fundamentals.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/u...s-surging.html

If you get paywalled, the gist is this:

Quote:
“It’s not a bubble, it really is about the fundamentals,” said Jenny Schuetz, a housing researcher at the Brookings Institution. “It really is about supply and demand — not enough houses, and huge numbers of people wanting homes.”

“My pessimistic view is that the economy is perfectly capable of running with unaffordable housing,” said Daryl Fairweather, the chief economist at Redfin. This was evident over the last decade, she said, when affordability worsened even as the economy continued to grow. And that reality has enabled politicians and the public to largely neglect the issue of housing affordability.
Quote:
None of this is rooted in the kind of risky borrowing that inflated the housing bubble. Rather, home buyers flush with pandemic savings and strong credit have been taking out conventional loans (if they’re taking out loans at all)…Add to all of this a few more forces stressing the housing market even without a pandemic: Baby boomers who own a lot of housing stock are sticking around in their primary homes longer than previous generations did, at a time millennials have reached peak home-buying age. That ties up existing supply. Local governments have further stymied new housing supply with zoning and building restrictions that will remain a problem even when home-building supply chain kinks resolve.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:22 PM

163 posts, read 130,429 times
It doesn't make sense to deny we're in a bubble because the cause of the last one isn't a factor today. All sorts of factors can result in a bubble. This is a Fed-blown bubble. There is a 1:1 relationship between the Fed purchases of MBS and the parabolic rise in home prices.

See:

https://ibb.co/1qwP6FP

This is a time where people are paying millions of dollars for pictures of monkeys. It will end badly.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:17 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
It doesn't make sense to deny we're in a bubble because the cause of the last one isn't a factor today. All sorts of factors can result in a bubble. This is a Fed-blown bubble. There is a 1:1 relationship between the Fed purchases of MBS and the parabolic rise in home prices.

See:

This is a time where people are paying millions of dollars for pictures of monkeys. It will end badly.
I think were ok for the time being. Big Pharma has decided to take all control of the country right now and did so without any resistance and they have no plans on relinquishing that control. They're in charge. Migration to suburbs and forests should continue, but you're right, someone or something will come along that causes people not to be able to honor or meet their monthly mortgage responsibiltity. That's when it will end. We just don't know who or what that someone or something is. What we do know is that bubbles pop. History says so.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:46 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
FYI

‘No SALT, no deal.’ Some House Democrats say deduction must be in Build Back Better
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

This sure we be great for Fairfield County.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:26 AM

69 posts, read 33,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post

See:

Very interesting suggestion. I hadn't realized this before.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:39 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
FYI

‘No SALT, no deal.’ Some House Democrats say deduction must be in Build Back Better
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

This sure we be great for Fairfield County.
I’m bummed Biden hasn’t put this through separately. This would be such an easy win for his base, but typical to lump it in with a pie in the sky massive bill.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:21 AM

163 posts, read 130,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I think were ok for the time being. Big Pharma has decided to take all control of the country right now and did so without any resistance and they have no plans on relinquishing that control. They're in charge. Migration to suburbs and forests should continue, but you're right, someone or something will come along that causes people not to be able to honor or meet their monthly mortgage responsibiltity. That's when it will end. We just don't know who or what that someone or something is. What we do know is that bubbles pop. History says so.
I think we're in the most obvious bubble in history and seeing it pop in real time right now. As in it is literally popping this week.

I looked at a new-construction house that was $1.3M, built with the most shoddy materials on the market (single-pane Silverline windows) and presumably by the cheapest subcontractors available. I said no thanks. Next week, the price was raised by 3%. It's still sitting.

Every bubble has breathless rationalization, just enough of which is rooted in reality to make the rest of the hyperbole seem credible. Bitcoin is limited, so grab it now at 70k before it runs to 500k. Houses will go up another 20%, there are no houses available so you better act fast or you'll risk being on the street because rental prices and availability are under huge pressure too. Buy this Omega now so you can get in line for the Rolex that's sold out for years, otherwise you'll never get it. Etc.

The bottom line is the Fed put a massive tide of money under every asset class creating many bubbles and gave rise to a speculative circus. The lights are now going off.

If you're looking at a home now is the time to hold off if you can, but keep in mind the housing market is slow to react. Patience will be rewarded.

Last edited by tsek; 01-24-2022 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut