Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 03:03 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

In Asia it’s serious. You know it is because Disney closed its park in Singapore because of it. Here not so much. Jay

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeik...sease-spreads/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 03:10 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
Where are the reports that they’ve stopped counting the dead and corpses piled in hospital corridors? I’ve seen nothing in the news about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm somewhat concerned because I have plans to travel overseas in a couple of months. That means airports and sitting in a plane--places where someone might expose us to that virus if it's spread by then.

It doesn't seem as though it's going to be like it is in China when it gets here. If you watch some of the news that's getting out from China, it's like a national disaster. In that one city, everything is closed, gas stations are closed so that people can't leave, stores are closed, people are worried about running out of food. There are so many dead that they've stopped counting, hospitals are telling people to just stay away because there are piles of sick or even dead people in the corridors.

I don't think it will reach those proportions here. If a lot of people started getting really sick, we could always just stay inside or wear masks like they're recommending in China until it runs its course. (But I do worry about going through two major airports and sitting in a plane cooped up with people.)

Old 01-27-2020, 05:14 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Good News for Wesleyan student.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/wes...for-coronavius

"On Monday, Wesleyan University confirmed that The Centers for Disease Control found that the Wesleyan student who was being monitored, has tested negative for the Coronavirus and is doing well..........There is still no word on the test results of the student who was at Yale."

Old 01-27-2020, 05:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
Influenza may be more dangerous.

Another thing to remember, when you see pictures of people wearing face masks in China -- a lot of people do that anyways, because of the pollution and/or germ phobia. It's not an unusual precaution there. Things would have to be pretty bad for us to do that in CT.

Also, the Chinese gov't is hypersensitive about its response to this kind of thing, because of poor handling of previous outbreaks. So they are probably overreacting intentionally, to show they can mobilize a massive response quickly (e.g., building isolation hospitals).

Last edited by nico7; 01-27-2020 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 08:20 PM

830 posts, read 684,916 times
Here's what we know about, and where we're at with, the Wuhan coronavirus: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/26...nical-profile/

Basically, if it goes widespread here and you're over the age of 65, that's a very real concern. Right now, it's not fully clear how contagious the virus is. It's likely more contagious than SARS but also substantially less deadly. I'm in Japan right now and the country is in a similar wait-and-see mode, but if anything changes I'll do updates.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Connecticut is lower risk because it doesn’t have a whole lot of people flying from Asia. I’ve worked for Asian companies. The one I worked for from 2009 to 2014 had a development group in Wuhan. A new grad software engineer with a masters cost $35k where Shanghai was approaching $100k and all the engineers were job hopping for 20% raises. If I were in California, I’d be paying more attention than in New England.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:37 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Nope. If there's need for concern, we'll know it. Not from some hysterical media headlines.
It is so sad what media does and what they don't to people. So sad.. How come they don't tell us that not only MILLIONS get the flu every year, which is contagious as well, but also that 10's of 1000s die from it???

And yet 4 (FOUR) cases of Corono virus in U.S are headlined.

Ok, China has more widespread and fast but take a look at this and let me know if you still are "worried"?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Old 01-28-2020, 06:18 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Using extra hand sanitizer, as its flu season. Other than that, nothing.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:27 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
First off it's hard to get accurate info from the media, and the Chinese govt.....who controls the local media.
The Coronavirus was reported weeks/ months before the govt. took action. They have too much pride there.
The other concern is this virus seems to be asymptomatic for longer than Sar's was. This is a concern because you could be a transmitter of the virus, without yet showing any symptoms. Some are estimating up to 10 days on the outside. The good news is transmissibility is less than Sar's.

Google "serpentza" on YouTube to learn about all things Chinese.
This might not be the plague or Spanish flu.....but we should all hope that the Chinese govt and others try to make changes to how open air wet markets are run, lack of sanitation, washing hands, refrigeration etc....

Unfortunately don't think this will happen soon. It's partly cultural, and lack of education and also money.

In China anything with 4 legs other than the table is considered food.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:08 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Thanks for all the input. It still seems pretty serious to me though and I am sure there will be far more than the 5 confirmed here in the US. From what I read over 100 people here have been tested and being monitored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut