Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 01:06 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Maybe I'm being hopeful, but at the very least - there are a lot of promising treatments in the hopper.

Remdisivir, HCQ, tocilizumab, favipiravir, ivermectin, convalescent serum. That's just the few I've heard of being more hopeful, there's many others.

All being studied now, which takes time. We only need a few to be effective to change the course of things.
I just find it hard to accept that a disease appeared out of nowhere that is going to cripple the world indefinitely. Of course, I guess that could be true, but it seems more likely that our bodies will adapt to it and most people will build up some type of immunity to it, as with other diseases. It seems that we have to work through the whole process.

BTW, did you see my DM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 01:11 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
I agree with the last few posts - really fatigued by the media sensationalism. I did want to let this group know I tested positive for antibodies. My PCP had an early release of the Roche test so accuracy is 99.5%. Not surprising since I worked until March 18th in NY - rose the subways and Metro North until then. Symptom wise - I wasn’t asymptomatic but wasn’t text book either. Had extreme fatigue and the most swollen glands I’ve ever experienced in late Feb (visibly so). One day of fever (~100.5). Nothing since thankfully - I feel great. I think there are a lot of ‘me’ out there which lends credence to much higher infection rate / lower death rates.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:15 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I agree with the last few posts - really fatigued by the media sensationalism. I did want to let this group know I tested positive for antibodies. My PCP had an early release of the Roche test so accuracy is 99.5%. Not surprising since I worked until March 18th in NY - rose the subways and Metro North until then. Symptom wise - I wasn’t asymptomatic but wasn’t text book either. Had extreme fatigue and the most swollen glands I’ve ever experienced in late Feb (visibly so). One day of fever (~100.5). Nothing since thankfully - I feel great. I think there are a lot of ‘me’ out there which lends credence to much higher infection rate / lower death rates.
Yeah, definitely.

I took the Quest test and was negative. I was actually driving into the city in Feb and March due to an injury and in the office very infrequently. I got tested because I had gone to a fundraiser in early March in Manhattan with a few hundred people in a very tight space. If it was there, I dodged it!

Old 05-04-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I am getting an antibody test tomorrow. Thanks for letting us know about your test, and I am glad that you are feeling well.

I was also going into New York until March 13th. Plus I was exposed to 3 different people who got COVID back in March. I never got any real symptoms, except for a mild sore throat for a day at a time a couple of times.

I'll be interested to see what my results are. It's very nice of you to share your results with us, and I hope you continue to be well.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, definitely.

I took the Quest test and was negative. I was actually driving into the city in Feb and March due to an injury and in the office very infrequently. I got tested because I had gone to a fundraiser in early March in Manhattan with a few hundred people in a very tight space. If it was there, I dodged it!
I guess you were lucky that you were off the train most of the train. I was on the train every day, though by the week of March 9th, the train was more and more empty every day.

I went with a friend of mine to see her mother and brother in the Bronx on March 15th. Both the mother and the brother showed symptoms for COVID less than a week after I saw them, and my friend then starting showing symptoms about a week after that. I suspect that she got it from them on the day that we visited, because as far as I know, she wasn't exposed to anybody else who got sick.

She was sick for about three weeks with COVID, but seems to have recovered now.

I'll be interested to see what my antibody test results are. Thanks for sharing the results of your test, man.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:54 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:

The problem is 40% of the adult population is obese, 17% is age 65+, and a chunk of the population has high risk chronic problems. If you're not one of those categories, great. Close to half the adult population has elevated risk.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:56 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
We are not reinfected with the same coronavirus over and over for the common cold. There are many different strains that are different enough that we don’t have full immunity after getting another.

This is different. While there are different strains, they are similar enough that we should have immunity. This mutates very slowly and slightly.

Also, coronavirus is not the most common cold virus. There are others too.
There are only 4 strains of coronavirus that infect humans (other than SARS/MERS/SARS-2), they cause a common cold, and one does not become immune to them.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I just find it hard to accept that a disease appeared out of nowhere that is going to cripple the world indefinitely. Of course, I guess that could be true, but it seems more likely that our bodies will adapt to it and most people will build up some type of immunity to it, as with other diseases. It seems that we have to work through the whole process.

BTW, did you see my DM?
You mean cripple the world the way that smallpox, the plague, and many other epidemic diseases did? You have to realize that ALL diseases that infect humans had a beginning. Looking back across millenia, it's harder to realize that when they appeared, they did so suddenly, and with a bang. The only examples we have had since 1900 have been the Spanish Flu, and HIV. But they were both pretty awful, and we're still dealing with HIV, probably will be for a very long time.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
So now that you've tested positive, how will your behavior change? Do you plan to volunteer to donate convalescent serum? Do you plan to volunteer to work in an essential field in contact with coronavirus patients?

Or do you plan to continue your life exactly as you were living before, taking all possible precautions to contract the virus? What actual change in the way you go about your life will occur, as a result of your having tested positive?

Old 05-04-2020, 04:12 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
There are only 4 strains of coronavirus that infect humans (other than SARS/MERS/SARS-2), they cause a common cold, and one does not become immune to them.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...03.13.990226v1
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...985-5/fulltext
https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/20/...we-still-dont/

Quote:
To be clear, most experts do think an initial infection from the coronavirus, called SARS-CoV-2, will grant people immunity to the virus for some amount of time. That is generally the case with acute infections from other viruses, including other coronaviruses.
I'm not sure why you don't think someone would become immune to a specific strain of the coronavirus that causes a cold? Do you have a source for that?

Of course immunity would wear off eventually.

200 viruses cause the common cold, and many mutate more frequently than the coronaviruses, which have a 'proofreading' mechanism that slows down major mutations, unlike influenza or rhinovirus.

Caveat: I'm not an epidemiologist, so if you have sources for this, I'm more than willing to listen. But I'm going with most experts on this, that there's no reason or evidence to think we won't build some immunity to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut