Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
With better techniques, better protocols (protecting vulnerable and nursing homes), and hopefully some effective treatments–it may not matter as much if there's a second wave.

Completely agree, and that is my hope. The fall is a long time from now and we just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
40k people in 2020. NO. In an area where one foot of Social Distance does not occur, btw. NO.

I'm a big Met fan, and am sincerely hoping if any team plays in 2020, there are no fans in the stands. MLB packed house = Oyster festival crowd.

This is an unprecedented year.

This festival has been around 45 years. Cancelling once will not crush it, nor the citizens, long-term.

I am for the economy re-opening, also for 6 foot rule staying in force, at minimum, 6 months, past any possible 2nd wave cycle.

I agree with Cuomo (Andy), in that the economy needs to re-open at the correct time, smarter than before.

That includes cancelling any massive gatherings in very tiny spaces.
Totally agree with you on this too and per another post of yours, I think CT will open as "upstate first, FFC after" similar to Cuomo's plan for NY.

I think except for pro sports without an audience (Taiwan has already started this with their pro baseball league, and So. Korea will next week....even talk of ESPN showing their games until MLB comes back), you will not see anything with a huge crowded audience until 2021. I even think New Year's Eve at Times Square (this Dec 31) and next year's Mardi Gras are shot and I put the Olympics odds at 50-50. But that said...

Quote:
We have zero indication on what distancing will be needed after May. It's all a guess.

We're still learning a lot about the virus, and developing treatments.

If they decide to cancel the August Oyster Fest, it'll be because they can't risk the funds in limbo in case it doesn't happen. I'd put my money on a gathering like that being fine by August, but time will tell. Events like that in June have no chance.
Been saying this all along to people. August is a LONG time from now and we don't really know yet, good or bad. More than almost any other time in our lives (unless you are among society's oldest and lived through WW II) we just have to get through day by day and see how it all plays out.

I do think a lot of very large events will be closed for longer not out of "mourning" but extensive caution against a 2nd wave. But I do wonder what happens if we somehow surprise ourselves and this is down to "nothing" by say late June and we have things already cancelled into the fall. Do we un-cancel them?

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 04-30-2020 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 AM

538 posts, read 331,691 times
Yea I think we are getting close to reopening things up. Masks should still be mandatory everywhere in public until after the fall, as that may help mitigate the severity of a 2nd wave (if there will be one). Have everyone use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting any public place.

Not sure what to do with restaurants and bars, reduce capacity and have tables 10 feet from each other? Install plexiglass walls between tables? Places where you're putting your hands to your mouth I have no idea how to help mitigate spread. I know I personally probably won't be going to dine-in at any restaurant or bar.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:32 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Couple quick graphs for the Top 5 cities with the most positive cases.

Blue line = the 7 day average of daily cases.

Stamford. 7 day Average is down to 24 people positive, lowest since March

Bridgeport looking the worst in the bunch with the 7 day avg of over 50 still and you can easily see it with the red line (total count) not flattening

New Haven. Still needs to improve

Norwalk..

Danbury

Old 04-30-2020, 08:34 AM

987 posts, read 600,471 times
Why should FFC open later when we're further along in the curve?

Old 04-30-2020, 08:48 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Milford, New Haven, Waterbury, Hartford, Manchester, Hamden, East Hartford, Bristol cases are high too.

Eastern CT wasn’t hit that hard

Old 04-30-2020, 08:53 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Yea I think we are getting close to reopening things up. Masks should still be mandatory everywhere in public until after the fall, as that may help mitigate the severity of a 2nd wave (if there will be one). Have everyone use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting any public place.

Not sure what to do with restaurants and bars, reduce capacity and have tables 10 feet from each other? Install plexiglass walls between tables? Places where you're putting your hands to your mouth I have no idea how to help mitigate spread. I know I personally probably won't be going to dine-in at any restaurant or bar.
There are antimicrobial solutions that places like restaurants can use for surfaces. There's a service locally: https://rxsps.com/

Old 04-30-2020, 09:03 AM

538 posts, read 331,691 times
Quote:
There are antimicrobial solutions that places like restaurants can use for surfaces. There's a service locally: https://rxsps.com/
It's not the surfaces I'm worried about, it's every putting their hand to their mouth and unable to wear mouth coverings because they are eating and servers moving back and forth between tables. My concern is basically you can't wear a mouth covering while you're eating/drinking.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:07 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

Bigger chance of 2nd wave due to higher number of cases.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
It's not the surfaces I'm worried about, it's every putting their hand to their mouth and unable to wear mouth coverings because they are eating and servers moving back and forth between tables. My concern is basically you can't wear a mouth covering while you're eating/drinking.
You can't catch it from eating though. It's more people touching their mouth and nose that's a problem. Do people really directly touch their mouth when eating? I know I don't. Just the food makes contact. So those surfaces could help.

Also people can wash their hands...

There's much more of a risk of catching it airborne in a restaurant.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:17 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Bigger chance of 2nd wave due to higher number of cases.
Actually it probably less of a chance as there have been more people in FFC who have been exposed already than in other parts of the state. Second wave, if it comes, is likely to hit those areas that were relatively unscathed this first time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut