Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 06:29 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Not really. Restaurants and gyms--masks are off or more likely to be off, so are a hard no for me. Indoor dining has been proven to be a risk, more subject to HVAC flow patterns, rather than the 6' distancing (which...from my observations around New England the past couple of weeks since limits were relaxed, is not being rigorously followed).
This has been my approach as well. As much as I like going to restaurants, it’s not really worth it to me to dine inside. Although I’ve been comfortable with being inside and maskless with certain friends and family, so perhaps I’m being a bit irrational or inconsistent. It’s just whatever you make your peace with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 06:52 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
This has been my approach as well. As much as I like going to restaurants, it’s not really worth it to me to dine inside. Although I’ve been comfortable with being inside and maskless with certain friends and family, so perhaps I’m being a bit irrational or inconsistent. It’s just whatever you make your peace with.
I think everybody has their own approach, and there are sometimes inconsistencies. I've been out to restaurants with small groups of people and I go to the gym every week. I work out with a trainer and there is a room dedicated to training, so I'm not very close to other people while I am there. My trainer is there 6 days per week and has not gotten COVID yet, and I have not heard of a case of COVID at the gym.

I work with a guy who is super fanatical and thinks that I am too lax about COVID. Yet, he has flown to the west coast several times during the COVID period, while I am waiting until a few weeks after I get my second shot to brave flying.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:00 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Since there are many who respect Dr. Gottlieb here, just saw this and thought I'd link it here. Sounds a bit alarming, if proven true!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...w-Yorkers.html

Old 03-22-2021, 05:22 AM

31 posts, read 13,787 times
Quote:
Since there are many who respect Dr. Gottlieb here, just saw this and thought I'd link it here. Sounds a bit alarming, if proven true!

I dug up a few papers on MedRxiv and BioRxiv, still going through the review process. Mutants in this variant include T95I, D253G, E484K, D614G, and A701V: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...259v1.full.pdf.

From the same paper, mapped onto the crystal structure of the Spike protein, the E484K mutation lies in the Receptor Binding Domain (RBD). As I recall, it is distal from the site on Spike RBD responsible for macromolecular recognition event of ACE2. Also, the paper shows that, as of currently screened cases, around 11% present E484K mutation. <5% present N501Y mutation; and <1%, both E484K and N501Y. Another interesting point here is that multiple different epitopes on RBD have been identified. Perhaps this is not divorced from RBD function in macromolecular recognition of ACE2? This interaction presents nM Kd, and thus would it not be unreasonable to suggest the presence of more than one binding pocket to occupy -- thereby conferring potency at more than one binding pocket? Hmm....

The general rule of thumb is that shape complementarity and hydrophobic contacts drive potency, whereas hydrogen bonds drive specificity. If, for example, E484 is forming hydrogen bonds (likely as a donor) in the antibody-mediated neutralization binding event targeting RBD, than certainly the "flip" in physiochemical properties (for lack of better terminology) of E484K would attenuate potency. Now, does that completely evade neutralization? I would say unlikely, but difficult to say. Here is where shape complementarity would enter the discussion. That is, if E484 presents shape complementarity for the binding pocket on the anitbody, then I would entertain the discussion.

T95I and D253G mutants in this strain map to the N-terminus of Spike protein. This paper, just published in Cell Host & Microbe, provides the structural basis for SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein N-terminal domain (NTD)-dependent antibody neutralization: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...31312821001335. The upshot of this is that there is one epitope on the surface of the NTD, for which antibodies with nM binding affinities have been identified from covalescent donors. Of the antibodies characterized, one recognition event implicates D253G, yet molecular interaction in question is an intramolecular hydrogen bond that does not appear to contact NTD. In addition, the epitope on NTD is strongly positively charged; that is noteworthy here, given the physiochemical properties of aspartic acid. Further suggestive that the D253G mutant may not evade NTD-dependent neutralizing antibody activity.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:53 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:

Really depends on the severity of the re-infection. If people start ending up in hospitals again, then its a problem. If its cold like symptoms, then its not an issue.
My understanding of the vaccines is that they do not necessarily prevent infection, but that they reduce the severity of the infection, so that people don't end up in the hospital. Would think that would be consistent no matter the variant.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:40 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
My understanding of the vaccines is that they do not necessarily prevent infection, but that they reduce the severity of the infection, so that people don't end up in the hospital. Would think that would be consistent no matter the variant.
True of J&J and first dose of Moderna/Pfizer, but the latter after 2nd dose protects against infection ~95%.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:23 AM

56 posts, read 24,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
True of J&J and first dose of Moderna/Pfizer, but the latter after 2nd dose protects against infection ~95%.
If I understand what you wrote, I think this is backwards.
J&J and first dose of Moderna are protective of asymptomatic infection. Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are ~95% protective against symptomatic disease.

We don't have good data yet on how effective the vaccines are on some of these new variants. We do have evidence that some vaccines (Astra Zeneca) are much less effective against some variants (South African), so the concerns expressed by Dr. Gottlieb seem warranted.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:30 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massimiliano View Post
If I understand what you wrote, I think this is backwards.
J&J and first dose of Moderna are protective of asymptomatic infection. Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are ~95% protective against symptomatic disease.
I meant what I said. J&J and first dose of others is protective against severe cases. Second doses prevent infection.

"the Moderna vaccine was 94.1% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness"

That accounts for asymptomatic or symptomatic.

Does asymptomatic really matter? From what I understand, it's unlikely these people are spreading it. Pre-symptomatic seems to be the bigger issue, as you don't have symptoms yet and can unknowingly spread it.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:49 AM

OK, but the following statement about Moderna/Pfizer is incorrect, since their trials after the 2 doses didn't measure infection but symptomatic disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The CDC believes that both asymptomatic and presymptomatic transmission account for about 50% of transmission, with presymptomatic accounting for more depending on when the peak of infectiousness is.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:13 AM

There is some new data out of Israel, not sure if peer-reviewed yet, that shows ~90% effectiveness for Pfizer preventing asymptomatic infection. Is that what you're referring to?
If true that's great news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut