Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 08:06 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Rush hour trains from southeast are now in 84-86 minute range. And from Brewster 80-83 minutes. Still a long ride but better than it used to be
Oh thats good to know for future reference for me too, thanks! I normally just miss the rush - haven't had to be there before 9 in awhile, but the tail end of rush hour trains have been running in the low 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 10:11 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Rush hour trains from southeast are now in 84-86 minute range. And from Brewster 80-83 minutes. Still a long ride but better than it used to be
That’s much quicker than I thought!

Old 03-07-2020, 11:27 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s much quicker than I thought!
Yes, still a long commute and one I wouldn’t want to do daily, but it’s doable for people who have to. Commuters on the west side of Danbury (along mill plain road /Rivington area especially) theoretically could have a 1.5 hour door to door commute to GCT if they take advantage of the exit 1 shuttle service to Brewster. It’s a 10 minute bus ride, followed by an 80 minute train ride. I used to drive to that park and ride before New Fairfield got its own shuttle service to Southeast

Old 03-07-2020, 11:28 AM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
I hope New Haven line improves soon. I remember in 2013 there was an 82 minute express from Milford and Fairfield express was an hour.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, still a long commute and one I wouldn’t want to do daily, but it’s doable for people who have to. Commuters on the west side of Danbury (along mill plain road /Rivington area especially) theoretically could have a 1.5 hour door to door commute to GCT if they take advantage of the exit 1 shuttle service to Brewster. It’s a 10 minute bus ride, followed by an 80 minute train ride. I used to drive to that park and ride before New Fairfield got its own shuttle service to Southeast
The timing is would never line up perfectly though?

Still, not too bad for western Danbury or NF. Newtown would be a non starter though. I know one person who did it daily. Crazy.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The timing is would never line up perfectly though?

Still, not too bad for western Danbury or NF. Newtown would be a non starter though. I know one person who did it daily. Crazy.
The evening commute does, as the bus is waiting for you right in front of the platform as soon as you exit so no wait time. Mornings you have to wait for the bus, then wait for the train though the shuttle schedule is pretty tight, they definitely have it down to a science as far as getting you to the station in the morning with just enough time to get to the platform, but not so much time that you’re waiting for too long for your train. They do a good job for sure. But yes, evening commute is always faster.
NF is more like 1 hr 45 minutes to GC because the drive to southeast takes longer and the train from southeast does too. It’s too bad there’s no parking available at Brewster.
Newtown would be a painful commute. I’d rather stick needles in my eye.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 10,291 times
So basically I should stay near New Fairfield and Bethel as well as Orange and Milford. Would that be a safe assumption? Big thing here is I'm not a daily commuter, just a few times a month at best.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendace View Post
So basically I should stay near New Fairfield and Bethel as well as Orange and Milford. Would that be a safe assumption? Big thing here is I'm not a daily commuter, just a few times a month at best.
Those would be good areas to focus on, yes.

The biggest differences between the 2 are coastal vs. inland. There's more population density on the coast. Milford/Orange have proximity to more urban areas, such as New Haven, Black Rock/Bridgeport, and it's a more bustling area in general. They do both have quiet areas. North Milford and pretty much all of Orange north of the Post Road is pretty quiet. But pretty much all of New Fairfield is quiet and wooded. Having lived in both, the Milford area feels a bit younger/more vibrant and Bethel/NF a bit more settled down. Both are great for families. Milford and Bethel both have nice downtowns. Bethel you'll have to compete with some traffic to get to train on 84 occasionally. Not quite as easy as New Fairfield.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:25 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendace View Post
If you are commuting as frequently as once per week, stay pretty close to the train line. You might be okay in Trumbull and parts of Brookfield too. I wouldn't recommend Newtown. I know more than one person who commutes to the city regularly from further out than Newtown, but they tend to drive in at off hours and are based pretty far uptown so it "works" for them

Old 03-09-2020, 06:35 PM

If you decide on northern Fairfield County because of price range, and schools (not magnet or private) are important, then I would focus on New Fairfield, Southwest part of Brookfield, or northwest part of Bethel, in that order.
But if you honestly don’t care about the commute because you will be doing it so infrequently, then that opens up pretty much the whole northern and eastern part of FFC to choose from. And even farther East or North of that too, into New haven and Litchfield counties could be good options.
You’re lucky in that you have lots to choose from and within your budget in all of these areas

But if you’re doing anything that remotely resembles an at least once weekly commute I’d focus on northwest Fairfield county and as close to the Harlem Line that you can possibly get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut