Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2022, 02:07 PM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sally’s will be opening their Fairfield branch in the Trademark Building on Commerce Drive and Black Rock Turnpike in October. Their previously announced Wethersfield location will follow before the end of the year. Three other locations, Norwalk, Newington and Woburn, Massachusetts have been announced but opening dates have not been set. Norwalk will be in the SoNo Collection mall and Woburn will be in the Wolburn Village. No location in Newington is known yet. Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/business/a...t-17469923.php
Good, the more Sally's in the County the better, even if they're not as good as the original. I thought the Stamford one was great. Griggs in Greenwich was great too. I told the owners they should open one in Darien or Norwalk, too soon but they would love to. More quality places are sorely needed to give all the Greeks and Albanians posing as Italians a run for their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 06:59 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sally’s will be opening their Fairfield branch in the Trademark Building on Commerce Drive and Black Rock Turnpike in October. Their previously announced Wethersfield location will follow before the end of the year. Three other locations, Norwalk, Newington and Woburn, Massachusetts have been announced but opening dates have not been set. Norwalk will be in the SoNo Collection mall and Woburn will be in the Wolburn Village. No location in Newington is known yet. Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/business/a...t-17469923.php

Since they list one in the Boston area (the first non-CT market Pepe's went into), I wonder if they dare venture into NY like Pepe's did. It's funny, I don't live too far from the NY Pepe's and while it seems crowded on many a night, a lot of the locals I know don't like them because it's "not the kind of pizza they're used to" (I'm describing it in the nice way, not the real way they put it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
More quality places are sorely needed to give all the Greeks and Albanians posing as Italians a run for their money.
I'm actually finding that more and more pizza shops are being run (not just staffed) by Latinos. But maybe that's just in NY and not CT. I've found no change in the pizza quality.....(before this becomes a whole back and forth I know you were kind of tongue-in-cheek though).

Old 10-01-2022, 09:44 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I'm actually finding that more and more pizza shops are being run (not just staffed) by Latinos. But maybe that's just in NY and not CT. I've found no change in the pizza quality.....(before this becomes a whole back and forth I know you were kind of tongue-in-cheek though).
Fairly rare. But we do have Milford Pizza and Mexican. Pizza is mediocre, Mexican is solid.

There’s also Four Brothers in Westport that I believe is Latino owned, which remains some of the worst pizza I’ve ever had. Including chains.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:42 AM

752 posts, read 552,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There’s also Four Brothers in Westport that I believe is Latino owned, which remains some of the worst pizza I’ve ever had. Including chains.
I have no clue how this place stays open. Agreed. Some of the worst pizza I've had.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Since they list one in the Boston area (the first non-CT market Pepe's went into), I wonder if they dare venture into NY like Pepe's did. It's funny, I don't live too far from the NY Pepe's and while it seems crowded on many a night, a lot of the locals I know don't like them because it's "not the kind of pizza they're used to" (I'm describing it in the nice way, not the real way they put it)
I know NYers who hate New Haven style. They say it's burnt and overcooked. NYers prefer thicker doughy pizza cut into larger evenly cut and spaced triangular slices. They won't tolerate random sizes. They like the middle a little on the gooey side. I don't like those styles at all.
I've given up on all CT pizza except NH style and Griggs. I threw in the towel. Done with it, so I wouldn't know about latinos working in any of them. If the owner's name is George, Niko, Steffanos, Vladmir, Gustav then forget it I won't go near the place.

Last edited by SteveM85; 10-02-2022 at 06:09 PM..

Old 10-03-2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I know NYers who hate New Haven style. They say it's burnt and overcooked. NYers prefer thicker doughy pizza cut into larger evenly cut and spaced triangular slices. They won't tolerate random sizes. They like the middle a little on the gooey side. I don't like those styles at all.
I've given up on all CT pizza except NH style and Griggs. I threw in the towel. Done with it, so I wouldn't know about latinos working in any of them. If the owner's name is George, Niko, Steffanos, Vladmir, Gustav then forget it I won't go near the place.
Funny, because the best and most celebrated NY pizza often is more well done and charred.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Funny, because the best and most celebrated NY pizza often is more well done and charred.
NYers prefer large round pizza with 1/2" thickness, and the edge crust to be atleast 1 1/2" in width before the cheese and sauce start.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:11 AM

537 posts, read 330,842 times
I was at a kids birthday party at Roller Magic in Waterbury recently and I must say it is probably the worst pizza I've had in this state. I know, not a real pizza joint, but it was just bad.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:49 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,069 times
don't think this has been mentioned..

i originally caught and recorded this documentary on PBS called Pizza: A Love Story but it is now streaming Amazon for those who might be interested.

a couple of nuggets i picked up..

the crust is not burnt it's 'charred'.
there is a New Haven style pizza place in Chicago called Piece. the owner grew up in West Haven i think. nice to know in case i ever make it out there again.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
the crust is not burnt it's 'charred'.
there is a New Haven style pizza place in Chicago called Piece. the owner grew up in West Haven i think. nice to know in case i ever make it out there again.
Yeah, there's a few New Haven style places that are supposed to be good in far spots of the country.

Tomatoes in Detroit area, Fantini's in Stuart FL, Black Diamond Apizza and White Pie in Denver.

Can't vouch, but hear they're solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut