Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2023, 05:41 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Housing cost. Wage inflation is far lower, in aggregate, than housing inflation, which is putting more citizens at risk of being homeless. Behind the firewall, the Post has a nice column today on the reason battered women are returning to their abusers, and housing is the most common now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Migration? There are still bidding wars for homes and condos, one recent one I heard had 40 bidders, so looks like we still have more coming in than want to leave. These people have money though, they’re not 830g’ing.
Do Beek or JayCT know if these 830g builds are full or sitting empty?
If they’re sitting empty probably a good idea not to build more for the time being
There are bidding wars because of artificially low inventory (driven by high interest rates). The NYC exodus through the Red Sea has ceased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 05:48 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I hear you - but it doesn’t require incremental housing stock. We have vacant office buildings and struggling hotels (and apparently malls). Let’s start there.
I actually agree with this. I'm uneasy with how many people think that office repurposing is a quick fix for the housing crisis but there are available options but the low hanging fruit will only go so far. (for the Office point watch this, if we made spaces for POWs like this it'd literally be against the Geneva Convention. Not a joke. https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...ference%20room. Office/Retail to residential absolutely is possible but honestly it's oddly more environmentally sound to tear down and rebuild for the specific use. As an aside the argument against the steel/glass office towers at the time they started getting popular in the late 60s early 70s was the single use purpose build not being flexible)

We in CT, as is much of the nation, is awash in under and unused surface level parking. We have many established downtowns where residential was once allowed and encouraged that now isn't for some less than sensical reasons. Like I said I'm much for trigger density zoning that allows growth up to a point, moves to the next sector, and then resets back to the start.

Old 08-04-2023, 05:54 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
There are bidding wars because of artificially low inventory (driven by high interest rates). The NYC exodus through the Red Sea has ceased.
The exodus has ceased looking at the numbers, and the amount of cash going into new purchases is staggering. Generally in a more "normal" housing environment this is great... but at crazy prices that looks like an ATH not so much. Loads of people are going to get burned bad is my guess.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:17 AM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
I hear you - but it doesn’t require incremental housing stock. We have vacant office buildings and struggling hotels (and apparently malls). Let’s start there.
I agree and am livid at Milord putzing around on our malls conversion ideas.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:55 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
No kidding, everyone knows that by now, but there's still a migration thing going on. More want to come than leave. That will change though I agree.

There is already momentum starting on converting office to housing. Stamford has a few. Whether it's conversion or 830s, if there's money to be made on the table, they'll do both.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:33 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Migration? There are still bidding wars for homes and condos, one recent one I heard had 40 bidders, so looks like we still have more coming in than want to leave. These people have money though, they’re not 830g’ing.
Do Beek or JayCT know if these 830g builds are full or sitting empty?
If they’re sitting empty probably a good idea not to build more for the time being
There are waiting list for years for affordable housing all over CT even before Covid.

Old 08-04-2023, 12:56 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
There are waiting list for years for affordable housing all over CT even before Covid.
Is that how it works with those 830g buildings? you have to get on a waiting list and apply?
Do you guys know if the one next to the house in Fairfield is in fact an 830 or just a condo building with individual units for sale at market prices? just curious

Old 08-04-2023, 01:00 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
What kind of affordable housing? Section 8? Senior living?

Old 08-04-2023, 09:40 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Jay, reread that article... it's not a good look for the board member. That's no working class neighbourhood. That property is a two storey aging 80s style strip mall on Rt 1. Their preferred project is a golf simulator/rooftop bar. Now I love me some rooftop bars, but if that isn't a decent location to your standards of acceptable placement of an affordable or any apartment complex.

And why do you think I'm insulated?? I pass that Castle Ave complex everyday on my walk. It's no worse than the parking lot across the street (which is such an ugly use of space, far worse than any building). I'm in the thick of it. My direct neighbours, my family, friends are in the thick of it and mostly people in the area just shrug it off neither here nor there. I think the NIMBYs blew their wad when they predicted the end of days with the Judd project, and the one behind Summit, and the one across from King's Deli. KHE is as bad and good as it's ever been literally no change. (Actually remembering the "public debate" about the one near Summit was horrifying and now a few of my friends live there).

The reason why middle class gets thrown these projects is that the upper-middle class wants to keep strangling the supply of housing for their own goals... my entire issue.
I don’t need to reread it. The person that warned them about an 8-30g project was not a board member. She was Director of Planning and Zoning. She was just advising them that they will meet a lot of opposition should they come in with a giant 8-30g box there. That’s NOT NIMBY, that is being honest with them. Would you rather she lie to them?

You say you aren’t “insulated” from these monstrosities. Do you live next to or even near one? Do you own a home next to one? Is the value of what is likely their largest asset going to be impacted by one? I doubt it.

Just because you walk by one doesn’t mean you are able to feel their pain or actually being hurt like the owners of Castle Avenue are. Your comments certainly show your lack of understanding or empathy for them. That’s pretty sad.

Also blaming the “upper middle class” is a cop out. It’s not their fault that the idiot bleeding hearts in the legislature gave away the store to greedy developers at the expense of the middle and working class.

And I don’t know who you hang around with in Fairfield but my friends and family are absolutely livid about what is happening in town. The Berkley Road project was the last straw. More and more are realizing how vulnerable they are to those 8-30g monstrosities. As the Judd Road project shows living on a nice street in town does not make you safe from them. They set precedent for future projects like Berkley Road. Pretty sad. Jay

Old 08-04-2023, 09:44 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Is that how it works with those 830g buildings? you have to get on a waiting list and apply?
Do you guys know if the one next to the house in Fairfield is in fact an 830 or just a condo building with individual units for sale at market prices? just curious
It is 8-30g which means it has 30% of the units meeting affordable housing guidelines. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut