Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 04:57 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,364 times

Advertisements

I'm glad we were on the wetter, quieter side. We had some fairy significant gusts of wind in the 2-3pm time frame yesterday where I was concerned for trees if it kept blowing. We will have some minor branch/stick patrol in the next few days but we only had a few power hits and there were a few local outage as of 7pm last evening. Isiais was far more damaging in terms of wind (it was like a bomb went off) and we had a 6 day power outage after. But we did get a LOT of rain with Henri. Adding the total from last night, over 5". We've had to pump the pool twice, my gardens are flattened but overall better than expected.

I'd rather be overly prepared than caught flatfooted like we were for Isiais. (I was at the shop when Isiais hit and I barely made it home for roads being made impassable by downed and falling trees. Weirdly we weren't experiencing that wind yet 15 miles to the east. My husband called and told me that I'd better come home right away. I was shocked and not a little alarmed as I drove west toward home.) The next morning, knowing what I had seen on the roads the previous afternoon, we knew the power outage would likely be a long one so we picked our way through trees and power lines on roads to the highway, driving to Cape Cod at 7am to buy the nearest generator that would handle the load of refrigerator, freezer and well pump. Good thing we did. Suboptimal preparing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 05:06 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Current map showing the water vapor in the air. You can see 3 things here...

1. NHC shifted the storm track south, its over Litchfield county this morning and making the stop and turn over MA, not Vermont.

2. The red colors = very dry air.. its slowly pushing east. Tomorrow we got sun!

3. Rain is wrapping around Western CT now as it pushes away

Here's a Loop past 4hrs. Spinning Away

Old 08-23-2021, 05:09 AM

Peak Wind Gusts

New London: 57 mph
Groton: 53 mph
Middletown: 49 mph
Hartford (BDL): 44 mph

My house: 19 mph

https://twitter.com/NWSEastern/statu...13156415021059

Old 08-23-2021, 06:33 AM

708 posts, read 401,447 times
Thank you Cambium. Great information as usual

Old 08-23-2021, 10:01 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Almost got jackknifed on 84 around Waterbury climbing up a hill.

Scary yesterday. But nj had it the worst. Today it looks the same in CT

Old 08-23-2021, 04:08 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HendrixStyle View Post
29K without juice; most should be good by Mon.

https://patch.com/connecticut/danbur...utages-21-days

Not sure what the '21-days' thing is, tho

I missed the storm this time (I did get on my trip back today to see all the "sudden showers" being generated as I approached the area), but noted that on my trip west Saturday I saw a lot of power trucks coming your way.

Well, I came back today (left at 7am got back about 1:30pm) and again on the other side of the highway (NY route 17) I saw tons of power trucks going back! So I guess it's not so bad this time?

Old 08-23-2021, 04:45 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I missed the storm this time (I did get on my trip back today to see all the "sudden showers" being generated as I approached the area), but noted that on my trip west Saturday I saw a lot of power trucks coming your way.

Well, I came back today (left at 7am got back about 1:30pm) and again on the other side of the highway (NY route 17) I saw tons of power trucks going back! So I guess it's not so bad this time?
Be careful on Route 17. It's a great road to get speeding tickets on.

The storm was pretty much a bust. A couple of rainy days for us, and very little wind.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:01 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
I-95 traffic jam in the atmosphere jam have slow down the pattern and weaken Henri. The jet stream and water temperature has play major role.

Most models showed Henri harnessing enough power and force to fight the upper-level high-pressure system that in the end, steered it eastward.

While the storm was expected to remain a Category 1 hurricane when it hit land, the intensity dropped off quickly as colder water off the coast of New Jersey depleted its energy.

A rare wavy jet stream is almost causing a jam in the atmosphere, stalling out the rain in the New York City region making for a very slow exit.

https://www.fox61.com/mobile/article...qAu1C67puwq0xw

Old 08-24-2021, 05:17 AM

" A rare wavy jet stream is almost causing a jam in the atmosphere"

The Jet stream was up north, it was a cut off low that was cut off from the Jet stream and stacked over Henri but NYC's rain came BEFORE it happened.. I explained this in another post with a map showing the features including the High Pressure over the Atlantic which played a role. Nothing is rare about any of it. My favorite atmospheric feature is an Upper Low so I follow them closely. I love them more in winter than summer but they happen a lot (not just recently)

In fact, do a CityData search with key words "Upper Low" and my name and you'll see how many times its happened. lol

Old 08-24-2021, 05:20 AM

Rainfall totals from the airports:

BDL: 4.5"
BDR: 1.54"

NYC: 8.19"
Islip: 2.34"
Albany: 0.89"

Providence: 0.91"
Boston: 2.45"

I'll post a map with rain totals when everyone updates their totals from yesterday since it was a 2 day event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut