Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 09:34 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Where does Southport go to HS? I'll tell them they should send their kids to Warde. They'll be offended and ban me for life. I won't have to ghost them anymore. Great idea. According to them the middle and HS are deluged with pronoun kids and THC vaping pens. They say one kid passed out in the bathroom last week from vaping, they had to call an ambulance. These people are unreal, you have no idea. They pay 40K per kid per year for private like it's nothing. They take the one-payment option. Paid in full.

I like CTArtists listings.
Southport goes to Ludlowe Middle and High Schools. Those people you mention sound like snobs. Sending your kids to private school means you are shielding them from reality and diversity. Sure there are kids that vape in the public schools but that’s common in all schools these days, public and private. Hate to burst their bubble. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 06:06 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Southport goes to Ludlowe Middle and High Schools. Those people you mention sound like snobs. Sending your kids to private school means you are shielding them from reality and diversity. Sure there are kids that vape in the public schools but that’s common in all schools these days, public and private. Hate to burst their bubble. Jay
It depends on the private school. Catholic schools in the area are much more diverse than public schools, since they draw from different towns including Bridgeport. And most private schools have all the problems public schools have, sometimes worse, because certain problems are promoted by excessive amounts of money compounded by parental inattention.

As far as the original topic goes, I think Greenfield Hill is a great area and I wouldn't mind living there myself, though I'd probably favor lower Greenfield Hill closer to town. I am very happy where I am though, so I don't intend to move. But Greenfield Hill is beautiful and a great area to live in. I'm sure there are some snobby people but there are people like that all over this area. You don't have to like everybody; as long as you can find some like-minded friends, you should be fine.

Greenfield Hill was slumping pre-COVID because a lot of people were caught up in the urbanist mentality of needing to be close to town There are some really nice areas close to town but some are nowhere near as nice as Greenfield Hill. Since COVID, lots of people seem to be abandoning their worship of cities, and Greenfield Hill is enjoying a strong revival. I would definitely consider it strongly.

Old 12-02-2021, 01:00 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It depends on the private school. Catholic schools in the area are much more diverse than public schools, since they draw from different towns including Bridgeport. And most private schools have all the problems public schools have, sometimes worse, because certain problems are promoted by excessive amounts of money compounded by parental inattention.

As far as the original topic goes, I think Greenfield Hill is a great area and I wouldn't mind living there myself, though I'd probably favor lower Greenfield Hill closer to town. I am very happy where I am though, so I don't intend to move. But Greenfield Hill is beautiful and a great area to live in. I'm sure there are some snobby people but there are people like that all over this area. You don't have to like everybody; as long as you can find some like-minded friends, you should be fine.

Greenfield Hill was slumping pre-COVID because a lot of people were caught up in the urbanist mentality of needing to be close to town There are some really nice areas close to town but some are nowhere near as nice as Greenfield Hill. Since COVID, lots of people seem to be abandoning their worship of cities, and Greenfield Hill is enjoying a strong revival. I would definitely consider it strongly.
You are right but I was talking about the expensive private schools Steve mentioned.

Another good part of Greenfield Hill is the eastern side off Black Rock Turnpike. I have family friends that lives between BRT and Burr Street. They can get to the stores on the turnpike pretty fast and even to the center by going down Burr to Mill Plain Road in a reasonable time. Jay

Old 12-02-2021, 03:28 PM

51 posts, read 58,487 times
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm traveling the next few days but my wife and I will be sitting down when I get back to read through all the comments together.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:57 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
If she’s wary about high class arrogance, it’s good you’re not looking in Westport. Fairfield is a lot more laid back. Greenfield Hill feels relatively reserved to me. There’s not too many ostentatious McMansions. Though if you want more economic diversity and bigger lots, look in/around the Black Rock Turnpike and University areas. Basically, anywhere east of Greenfield Hill and north of Route 1, excluding the expensive mansion-y area of Congress St.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:06 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
I looked at a home up in Greenfield way back when, I think it was Merwins Rd. Nice but too far out. I don't know if the neighbors were down to earth. You couldn't see them. Septic and oil, big no no's. Hated the University area. Loved the South Pine area. Overall town is just too far out considering the debilitating traffic in the region.

Old 12-04-2021, 03:41 PM

Guy I know on Jennings Beach just bought this house today Drywolf. 1M for a fixer. Needs a lot of TLC. It's right on GH - Southport.
Going to rent out the beach area house. Hated the density there and lack of yard. Doesn't care about the beach anymore.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M35100-60459

Old 12-05-2021, 05:16 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Where does Southport go to HS? I'll tell them they should send their kids to Warde. They'll be offended and ban me for life. I won't have to ghost them anymore. Great idea. According to them the middle and HS are deluged with pronoun kids and THC vaping pens. They say one kid passed out in the bathroom last week from vaping, they had to call an ambulance. These people are unreal, you have no idea. They pay 40K per kid per year for private like it's nothing. They take the one-payment option. Paid in full.

I like CTArtists listings.
For a time I worked in Westport and had quite a few clients that lived in the Southport section of Fairfield. Some of the things that I noticed rather quickly is that many Southport residents make an emphasis that they live in Southport, "not in Fairfield." It wasn't that they would deny the neighborhood was in Fairfield, but you pick up on small details. For example, someone gives you their address and of those with Fairfield addresses, it was always without exception certain Southport residents who would write "Southport, CT" instead of "Fairfield, CT." Quite a few times I was "corrected" as I told them they lived in Fairfield and they "corrected" me that they live in Southport. One a few occasions I would mention in conversation that I went to the Dunkin Donut close to the border with Fairfield and they would "correct" be that its Southport. Excuse me... lol

I get it with Rowayton residents trying to dissociate themselves from Norwalk, despite Rowayton is a neighborhood of Norwalk and not its own independent town. There is a much bigger gulf between Rowayton and the rest of Norwalk. On the other hand, Fairfield has a smaller gulf with its neighbornood of Southport.

I also noticed, but I'm not sure if this is still the case, that whenever I would drive on route 1 from Westport to Fqirfield, the welcome sign was to Southport and not Fairfield. A simple glance at a map notes that Fairfield boders the entire eastern side of Westport as oppose to one part is the town of Fairfield and the other the "town" of Southport. You wouldn't know this if the only reference was the welcome sign on route 1.

Once I also had a client that upon asking me where I lived and at that time it was Stamford, she looked at me like an alien with three eyes. Holy smokes! You would think Stamford was like Bridgeport. lol

The stories I could give from that experience are quite many! The fact that one of my coworkers was well known among the power circles in the area because of who was her ex-husband, I think added even more to the experience than otherwise. I did met quite a few interesting people who are famous nationwide (actually, more like worldwide) to people that are "famous" locally who were her friend not just on a business relationship, but personally too. I don't know if she's still in News 12, but the "locally famous" types would be like the news anchor Rebecca who I met quite a few times among other people. Others were related to famous people, such as Drew Barrymore's sister. Her name is another one I can't remember right now.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
For a time I worked in Westport and had quite a few clients that lived in the Southport section of Fairfield. Some of the things that I noticed rather quickly is that many Southport residents make an emphasis that they live in Southport, "not in Fairfield." It wasn't that they would deny the neighborhood was in Fairfield, but you pick up on small details. For example, someone gives you their address and of those with Fairfield addresses, it was always without exception certain Southport residents who would write "Southport, CT" instead of "Fairfield, CT." Quite a few times I was "corrected" as I told them they lived in Fairfield and they "corrected" me that they live in Southport. One a few occasions I would mention in conversation that I went to the Dunkin Donut close to the border with Fairfield and they would "correct" be that its Southport. Excuse me... lol

I get it with Rowayton residents trying to dissociate themselves from Norwalk, despite Rowayton is a neighborhood of Norwalk and not its own independent town. There is a much bigger gulf between Rowayton and the rest of Norwalk. On the other hand, Fairfield has a smaller gulf with its neighbornood of Southport.

I also noticed, but I'm not sure if this is still the case, that whenever I would drive on route 1 from Westport to Fqirfield, the welcome sign was to Southport and not Fairfield. A simple glance at a map notes that Fairfield boders the entire eastern side of Westport as oppose to one part is the town of Fairfield and the other the "town" of Southport. You wouldn't know this if the only reference was the welcome sign on route 1.

Once I also had a client that upon asking me where I lived and at that time it was Stamford, she looked at me like an alien with three eyes. Holy smokes! You would think Stamford was like Bridgeport. lol

The stories I could give from that experience are quite many! The fact that one of my coworkers was well known among the power circles in the area because of who was her ex-husband, I think added even more to the experience than otherwise. I did met quite a few interesting people who are famous nationwide (actually, more like worldwide) to people that are "famous" locally who were her friend not just on a business relationship, but personally too. I don't know if she's still in News 12, but the "locally famous" types would be like the news anchor Rebecca who I met quite a few times among other people. Others were related to famous people, such as Drew Barrymore's sister. Her name is another one I can't remember right now.
That level of snootuness is so stupid. People like that annoy me

I do think the sign at the Westport border says Fairfield, not Southport. I don't think I've ever seen a sign delineating the "boundaries" of Southport though I think there are some directing people toward Southport Village or Center. And of course on the post office in Southport.

Southport is just a neighborhood that happens to have its own post office. That's really the only thing that sets it apart from other neighborhoods like Greenfield Hill, Stratfield etc that have a Fairfield post office address.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That must have been a while ago. I haven't noticed them declare Southport or Fairfield either way. You could call it Katmandu, they wouldn't care. They just love money. The more the better. They're angry why they only have 7M instead of 8M. A couple of guys are up in arms over the pronoun stuff in the public schools. They pay GFA and Country Day tuition like it's a trip to a gas station fillup.
Do you still live in the area? I haven't heard anyone sneer over living in Stamford and Norwalk. Actually the opposite. Younger millenials sneer if you don't live in DT Stamford.
Darien and New Canaan people are flowing into South Norwalk like you wouldn't believe. I know a bunch and they're living it up. Forest Rowayton is very similar to many other areas in town. It's probably 70-80% covered in trees. Have you ever seen Silvermine, Harborview or Shorefront Park? Lower Gregory Blvd? People are loaded. Shippan and North Stamford? Arod rented a home in Shippan for awhile when he was playing for the Yanks. Houses are still flying off the market.
Stamford and Norwalk kicked out the poorest. They're allowing The Help and illegal undocs stay in certain designated areas. The perfect CT microcosms. Fairfield is too to an extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut