Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 08:30 PM

51 posts, read 58,497 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! 14 months after my first post here about relocating my family from LA to Fairfield County to chase a better quality of life, my wife and I just returned from a visit with a firm "Yes" to a summer 2022 move.

The search originally started in Westport (https://www.city-data.com/forum/conn...ht-target.html), then went to Weston (https://www.city-data.com/forum/conn...questions.html), and we eventually heeded the advice from several of you that Greenfield Hill in Fairfield checked the most boxes for us. We spent much of last week in Fairfield and we're both all in on the town.

I'm 100% in on Greenfield Hill. Big flat lots (2+ acres is a lifelong dream), quiet, safe, great schools, proximity to stores. My wife loves the diversity and mix of Fairfield, but isn't quite 100% on Greenfield Hill so I wanted to spell out some of her concerns and hear what you folks have to say.

While we live a very comfortable life in LA (a big, nice house in an upscale area), we buy used cars, and as she puts it, my wife is a "Target/Old Navy/Trader Joe's" shopper. We've heard the phrase "old money" thrown around regarding Greenfield Hill a few times, and she's concerned we'll be surrounded by an ostentatious, arrogant bunch.

Also, we've both lived our whole lives in inner suburbs on small lots, and she's concerned that having 200ft to your neighbor's front door will mean less of a neighborhood/community feel.

Does anyone in the area have any insights they can share?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 08:37 PM

464 posts, read 312,148 times
You’re overthinking it. Fairfield is great.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:12 PM

51 posts, read 58,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
You’re overthinking it. Fairfield is great.
Haha, not me, blame my wife!

Old 12-01-2021, 07:24 AM

50 posts, read 87,204 times
Greenfield Hill is exclusive and quiet. It is close to the Merritt Parkway. It is far from the center of town. As a former resident I would say that Greenfield Hill is the place to be. The other areas of Fairfield have more traffic, more noise, etc.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:07 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Greenfield is not diverse. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I'd look on the other side of town. There's little to no interaction between the two. I know some in Southport right next to Greenfield. Ostentatious would be putting it lightly. I've ghosted them, they persist though. I still like one guy, he's on the beach though near South Benson, good guy. He can't stand the traffic around town anymore. Wants out. Wants 2 acres like you.
I can't either and I know traffic, I was out west too. It's everywhere here but that's the drawback when you get too popular and desirable. I wish there was a way for CT Dems to curb the in-migration. Whatever they're doing it's not working.
Other than that I'd go for it. Enjoy. Get a boat and put in Southport harbor, it's 5 minutes away, join the Yacht Club there, it's amazing. Life is good in CT!

Old 12-01-2021, 10:55 AM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Greenfield Hill is amazing. It’s so beautiful and quiet. It is the second most prestigious neighborhood in Fairfield, after Southport. It is affluent and upscale but like any similar neighborhood, there will be snobby people there.

To be honest, I would not worry about Old Money people. I have found them to be more down to earth than new money. New money is trying to prove themselves while Old Money has nothing to prove. My aunt worked for one of the wealthiest families in America. If I gave their name you’d know it immediately. The matriarch was the most down to earth person you could find. Though she had a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce, she often drove herself in an old Volvo, wore nice but well worn clothes and often was found in my aunts kitchen having coffee and talking to whoever wandered in (and there was always someone wandering in there).

I’m not sure how you can avoid snobby people. They are everywhere in every affluent community in our country. There are some less prestigious areas with larger lots like Hoyden’s Hill, Galloping Hill or Mill Hill. The lots in these areas may not be as spacious as 2 acres but they can be larger than the rest of town and have slightly more diverse residents.

Greenfield Hill is pretty big, taking up about 1/4 of the town. Parts of it can feel remote. I’d suggest that you try to find a house toward the southern end or eastern side of Greenfield Hill. This would make it easier and faster to into the Center of Black Rock Turnpike, the two main commercial districts in town. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:12 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
Hey everyone! 14 months after my first post here about relocating my family from LA to Fairfield County to chase a better quality of life, my wife and I just returned from a visit with a firm "Yes" to a summer 2022 move.

The search originally started in Westport (https://www.city-data.com/forum/conn...ht-target.html), then went to Weston (https://www.city-data.com/forum/conn...questions.html), and we eventually heeded the advice from several of you that Greenfield Hill in Fairfield checked the most boxes for us. We spent much of last week in Fairfield and we're both all in on the town.

I'm 100% in on Greenfield Hill. Big flat lots (2+ acres is a lifelong dream), quiet, safe, great schools, proximity to stores. My wife loves the diversity and mix of Fairfield, but isn't quite 100% on Greenfield Hill so I wanted to spell out some of her concerns and hear what you folks have to say.

While we live a very comfortable life in LA (a big, nice house in an upscale area), we buy used cars, and as she puts it, my wife is a "Target/Old Navy/Trader Joe's" shopper. We've heard the phrase "old money" thrown around regarding Greenfield Hill a few times, and she's concerned we'll be surrounded by an ostentatious, arrogant bunch.

Also, we've both lived our whole lives in inner suburbs on small lots, and she's concerned that having 200ft to your neighbor's front door will mean less of a neighborhood/community feel.

Thanks in advance!
Fairfield is a great town. I wanted to live in Fairfield but it was a bit too expensive so my husband and I moved to Trumbull.

I know people all over Fairfield from the mansions on Congress Street to the very middle class section of Stratfield where my husband's family lived. There is an area that might suit all your needs that has a closer knit community than the very large lots of Greenfield Hills. It is the Mohegan Lake area. I know people who live/lived there and they really like it. The area is in the northern section of Fairfield but I don't think it is technically Greenfield Hills. There are not many houses in the Mohegan Lake area right now but here is one with lake rights. My brother lived in the "Lake Hills" community at one time. My first Art Director lived across from the beach and she LOVED it and so did I.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_43444953

This is sold near Lake Mohegan and the lot is 1/2 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...n/pid_38132204
Another sold house near the lake on 1/3 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_40797974
Here is another one with lake rights on 1/2 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...n/pid_38564665

Having said the above I think you would like Greenfield Hills but your wife might not like the very large lots. In any town that has large lots I don't think you will get that close community like when houses are on lots less than 1 acre. But that is not to say that the people who live in the larger lots in Fairfield aren't nice folks.

Last edited by CTartist; 12-01-2021 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-01-2021, 07:13 PM

980 posts, read 598,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Fairfield!

Don't listen to others. In comparsion to other areas of Fairfield County (of similar sized lots) Greenfield Hill is one of the most down to earth. As much as a I love Steve he's wrong about there being no interaction between Greenfield Hills and Tunxis Hill - both areas are districted to Warde (one of the town's high schools). I bring this up because I see you mentioned schools. Also don't listen to rankings - ALL Fairfield schools are top notch.

I agree with Jay - Live closer to Black Rock Turnpike or the Springer Glen area and it'll feel closer to "real life." This area may be a good compromise between you and your wife.

Also, don't forget, as a Fairfield Resident you have nearly free access to the town beaches ($25/year/car), as compared to $50/day/car if you live in a non shoreline town.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and feel free to DM me if needed!

Old 12-01-2021, 07:51 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Welcome to Fairfield!

Don't listen to others. In comparsion to other areas of Fairfield County (of similar sized lots) Greenfield Hill is one of the most down to earth. As much as a I love Steve he's wrong about there being no interaction between Greenfield Hills and Tunxis Hill - both areas are districted to Warde (one of the town's high schools). I bring this up because I see you mentioned schools. Also don't listen to rankings - ALL Fairfield schools are top notch.

I agree with Jay - Live closer to Black Rock Turnpike or the Springer Glen area and it'll feel closer to "real life." This area may be a good compromise between you and your wife.

Also, don't forget, as a Fairfield Resident you have nearly free access to the town beaches ($25/year/car), as compared to $50/day/car if you live in a non shoreline town.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and feel free to DM me if needed!
Where does Southport go to HS? I'll tell them they should send their kids to Warde. They'll be offended and ban me for life. I won't have to ghost them anymore. Great idea. According to them the middle and HS are deluged with pronoun kids and THC vaping pens. They say one kid passed out in the bathroom last week from vaping, they had to call an ambulance. These people are unreal, you have no idea. They pay 40K per kid per year for private like it's nothing. They take the one-payment option. Paid in full.

I like CTArtists listings.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:24 PM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Fairfield is a great town. I wanted to live in Fairfield but it was a bit too expensive so my husband and I moved to Trumbull.

I know people all over Fairfield from the mansions on Congress Street to the very middle class section of Stratfield where my husband's family lived. There is an area that might suit all your needs that has a closer knit community than the very large lots of Greenfield Hills. It is the Mohegan Lake area. I know people who live/lived there and they really like it. The area is in the northern section of Fairfield but I don't think it is technically Greenfield Hills. There are not many houses in the Mohegan Lake area right now but here is one with lake rights. My brother lived in the "Lake Hills" community at one time. My first Art Director lived across from the beach and she LOVED it and so did I.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_43444953

This is sold near Lake Mohegan and the lot is 1/2 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...n/pid_38132204
Another sold house near the lake on 1/3 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_40797974
Here is another one with lake rights on 1/2 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...n/pid_38564665

Having said the above I think you would like Greenfield Hills but your wife might not like the very large lots. In any town that has large lots I don't think you will get that close community like when houses are on lots less than 1 acre. But that is not to say that the people who live in the larger lots in Fairfield aren't nice folks.
Lake Hills and Lake Mohegan are not Greenfield Hill. Greenfield Hill is mostly 2 acre zoning with small fringes maybe having acre lots. Lake Hills and Lake Mohegan are mostly 1/2 acre lots which gives you a more neighborhood feel.

The first house is Lake Hills which is beautiful. It’s a large area of modest capes built on 1/2 acre lots built back in the 50’s around Samp Mortar Lake. There’s an association that maintains beaches around the lake and that holds social events. It’s a great way to meet people and a great place to live. It’s super convenient to Black Rock Turnpike which has a lot of shopping and dining options. I know a number of people that live in Lake Hills and all love it. It might be the right mix of more modest and affluent people your wife wants.

I also know the builder of that first house, Eric DeLaurentis. He builds a really good house. He grew up in Lake Hills and started buying those old capes, knocking them down and building beautiful new homes. He sells them as fast as he can build them. His wife, Jennifer DeLautentis is a real estate agent in town. She is very good. I’d highly recommend using her if you want to look at houses in town.

The other houses listed can be called Lake Mohegan because they are not part of the Lake Hills Association. It’s an area immediately adjacent to Lake Hills. Lake Mohegan is a town owned lake with a beach and 170 acres of open space land that’s great for hiking. It’s very pretty and a nice amenity to live near. You don’t have to drive all the way down to the center to go to a beach. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut