Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 10:47 AM

66 posts, read 24,231 times

Advertisements

I think most people agree that New Haven area is better than Hartford area for young adults as it has more food and night life options and is generally more vibrant. However, as someone with young family who lives in Southern FFC, we were surprised that we actually visit Hartford area quite often for activities, especially compared to New Haven area despite it is closer.

It seems there are just more things to do for families in Hartford area (e.g. science museum, fun events at convention center, the close by new England air museum, other museums and Elizabeth Park etc). For New Haven, we usually don't know what else to visit besides Yale and its museums and It in Jordan's furniture. The vibrant food/night life scene in New Haven isn't relevant to us as a young family, with kids we prefer to get our people watching/vibrancy fix from downtown areas in nice suburbs.

Is my family's experience a correct assessment of New Haven area vs Greater Hartford area? Does Greater Hartford area have more activities to offer to families than New Haven area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 11:44 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
No, I don’t think so. I’d say it’s about equal. The things that standout that Hartford area has New Haven doesn't are the big convention center and Science Center. But the Peabody at least makes up for the latter. But they're both only 40 minutes from New Haven.

For kids in New Haven area you have the soon reopening Peabody Museum, tons of youth music/art education in and around the Audubon Arts area, Connecticut Children’s Museum, lots of family programming at the Shubert Theater, Eli Whitney Museum and Workshop, The Shore Line Trolley Museum, and not too far from Essex Steam Train which has family friendly events, Leitner Family Observatory and Planetarium, carousel at Lighthouse Point. Escape New Haven is fun for families. Coastal attractions like Thimble Island Boat Tour and our many beach parks can be good too. There's other beautiful parks/playgrounds in the area too.

Then you have random things not far like Urban Air, Chuck E Cheese, Sports Center in Shelton, Giggling Pig in Milford, etc. Pez Museum in Orange.

Here in Milford there are tons of family friendly events on the green, harbor, Walnut Beach area. Everything from family movies to family friendly concerts, holiday events for kids, etc. Eisenhower Park has lots to do. I’m sure the same goes for a lot of nearby towns.

Last edited by Stylo; 03-04-2024 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-04-2024, 02:55 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
It doesn’t really matter since the two cities are so close to each other.

That said Hartford has the Yardgoats baseball which attract sellout crowds.

Old 03-04-2024, 03:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Go to both

Old 03-04-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It doesn’t really matter since the two cities are so close to each other.

That said Hartford has the Yardgoats baseball which attract sellout crowds.
Yes the Goats are popular, and there's UCONN games too. Yale has football, hockey, baseball, etc. games which are well attended too, same with Quinnipiac (great hockey team).

Old 03-04-2024, 08:09 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,636,251 times
It honestly really depends what exactly you are looking for, but I agree with the others that I still feel the New Haven area has more amenities, especially when you consider the surrounding towns.

A few towns east in Madison, there is the whole Madison Surf Club which offers a bunch of activities including Sailboats and Kayaking.

Stylo already mentioned this but in Essex you've got the steam train and riverboat.

You might've already been there, but did you ever visit the Yale Art Gallery and Center for British Arts in Downtown New Haven? There is the Ely Center of Contemporary Art as well. I believe Long Wharf Area also has some great family activities like the Canal Dock Boathouse and the It Adventure Ropes Course.

There is also East Rock Park and the West Rock Ridge State Park.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:27 PM

66 posts, read 24,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

For kids in New Haven area you have the soon reopening Peabody Museum, tons of youth music/art education in and around the Audubon Arts area, Connecticut Children’s Museum, lots of family programming at the Shubert Theater, Eli Whitney Museum and Workshop, The Shore Line Trolley Museum, and not too far from Essex Steam Train which has family friendly events, Leitner Family Observatory and Planetarium, carousel at Lighthouse Point. Escape New Haven is fun for families. Coastal attractions like Thimble Island Boat Tour and our many beach parks can be good too. There's other beautiful parks/playgrounds in the area too.
Thanks for the suggestions. I made the post because we just found it interesting that Hartford area seems to have more major attractions that make us willing to drive all the way up from Southern FFC to visit.

We are excited for the Peabody museum reopening and we visit Essex quite often as well (though I thought Essex is not considered as New Haven area?). The other things you listed to do in New Haven, while are very nice amenities to families, do seem to be more local attractions/amenities (except Thimble Island) that are similar to what we have in FFC (I assume Greater Hartford area has similar things too) and don't seem to have the same draw as Hartford area attractions?

Again this is just random musing, as other posters correctly pointed out, Hartford and New Haven areas are close enough that families living there can visit attractions in both areas easily.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reslinal View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I made the post because we just found it interesting that Hartford area seems to have more major attractions that make us willing to drive all the way up from Southern FFC to visit.

We are excited for the Peabody museum reopening and we visit Essex quite often as well (though I thought Essex is not considered as New Haven area?). The other things you listed to do in New Haven, while are very nice amenities to families, do seem to be more local attractions/amenities (except Thimble Island) that are similar to what we have in FFC (I assume Greater Hartford area has similar things too) and don't seem to have the same draw as Hartford area attractions?

Again this is just random musing, as other posters correctly pointed out, Hartford and New Haven areas are close enough that families living there can visit attractions in both areas easily.
I’m not sure what you mean. Other than the Science Center and Convention center, what’s different in the 2 areas as far as regional draw? The Shubert at the very least draws from a larger area.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Do both, once or twice, and you're set for life. No need to ever go again.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:01 PM

837 posts, read 506,182 times
I can't wait for the Peabody to reopen.

I don't think one city is particularly better than the other and both are accessible to each other. If you live north of Hartford, New Haven becomes far. Not sure at what point west Hartford become inconvenient, but we live 20 minutes east of New Haven and are members at the CT Science Center. With membership comes a few reciprocal months at other places, including Mystic Aquarium. We are taking advantage of that this weekend. Middletown has Kids City. That's terrific for younger kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut