Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,027,584 times

Advertisements

According to Wikpedia

Connecticut in 'parts' now has a subtropical climate

read
Climate

Parts of Connecticut, including northwestern Connecticut, have a Humid continental climate while other parts, especially southeastern Connecticut, have a Humid subtropical climate, with seasonal extremes tempered by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Winters are cold, with average temperatures ranging from 31°F (−1°C) in the southeast to 23°F (−5°C) in the northwest in January. The average yearly snowfall is about 25–100" (64–254 cm) across the state, with higher totals in the northwest. Spring has variable temperatures with frequent rainfall. Summer is hot and humid throughout the state, with average highs in New London of 81°F (27°C) and 87°F (31°C) in Windsor Locks. Fall months are mild, and bring foliage across the state in October and November. During hurricane season, tropical cyclones occasionally affect the region. Thunderstorms are most frequent during the summer, occurring on average 30 times annually. These storms can be severe, though tornadoes are rare.[14]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM

893 posts, read 792,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
According to Wikpedia

Connecticut in 'parts' now has a subtropical climate

read
Climate

Parts of Connecticut, including northwestern Connecticut, have a Humid continental climate while other parts, especially southeastern Connecticut, have a Humid subtropical climate, with seasonal extremes tempered by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Winters are cold, with average temperatures ranging from 31°F (−1°C) in the southeast to 23°F (−5°C) in the northwest in January. The average yearly snowfall is about 25–100" (64–254 cm) across the state, with higher totals in the northwest. Spring has variable temperatures with frequent rainfall. Summer is hot and humid throughout the state, with average highs in New London of 81°F (27°C) and 87°F (31°C) in Windsor Locks. Fall months are mild, and bring foliage across the state in October and November. During hurricane season, tropical cyclones occasionally affect the region. Thunderstorms are most frequent during the summer, occurring on average 30 times annually. These storms can be severe, though tornadoes are rare.[14]
Did you really have to bring up the snow? I had just forgotten about it!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:22 PM

Sorry

the snow will fall in most subtropical climates, CT is on the northern limit of this climatic type.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Correct, the Koppen climate classification system is rather vague when describing what "Humid subtropical" is. It basically means warmest months are over 70F and coldest months are under 60F with variable rainfall.

Sounds like a tropical island by the description

Old 06-26-2008, 06:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Correct, the Koppen climate classification system is rather vague when describing what "Humid subtropical" is. It basically means warmest months are over 70F and coldest months are under 60F with variable rainfall.

Sounds like a tropical island by the description
Not be the neard…….

But actually the Koppen climate classification system is not vague at all……..the definition of what “subtropical Humid Climate” in the most modern climate scheme….the Koppen-modified Trewartha is……

- TEMPERATE………….4 to 7 months mean temp over 50 F .
- SUBTROPICAL………8 or more months mean temp 50 F.
- TROPICAL……………all months mean temp 65 F or higher.

Places like Miami, Florida or Hanoi, Vietnam are tropical (all months over 65 F), places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Los Angles, California are subtropical (8 months or more over 50 F) and places like Chicago, Ill are temperate (4 to 7 months over 50 F).

Sky is right, in some years when one looks at the mean temps in southern Connecticut, a station like Bridgeport may have 8 months that had a mean temp of 50 F or higher. Along the East Coast, most places from Canada down to about northern Rhode Island never have a year with 8 or more months of 50 F means. Starting around Connecticut however,….. in some years the climate is by definition subtropical.

This is why all these California people make me laugh, they think there moving to Vermont or Michigan, in the end they are so disappointed that there is so little “real winter” in Connecticut. They news media makes such a stink about 15 or 20 inches of measly snow (the 4 or 5 times a year it even snows), like it’s Minnesota, Colorado, or Maine. The California transplants always give you that strange look - when you tell them more Hurricanes (tropical cyclones) have hit Connecticut than Blizzards.

People up in the snowbelts would laugh at the winter in Connecticut…

Old 06-26-2008, 06:48 AM

Actually Miami and south Florida have all now been designated as 'tropical' as far north as a line From Bradenton east to Ft. Peirce. They before where considered 'subtropical', actually this may be too conservative.

I have the Trewartha textbook Still from college- 1975 version- I am sure it has been updated several times.

Additionally the climate here in Vernon has not seen a temperture below zero in several years- at this point I call it a zone 6-7.
The zone 7 line is a mere 30 miles to the south of me- and seemingly creeping further north each year.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I agree.

My neighbors moved out here from Michigan and find it hilarious that CT schools close at the threat of 3-5", before a flake even falls..

Old 06-26-2008, 07:35 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,760,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree.

My neighbors moved out here from Michigan and find it hilarious that CT schools close at the threat of 3-5", before a flake even falls..
I totally agree. My coldest experiences ever were in Meadville, Pennsylvania, in late December, 1996. I was visiting in-laws and one of my dogs decided that she wasn't going to "do her business" due to the unfamiliar surroundings. It was about 11 pm, and I thought I was going to die: it was so cold (windy, and damp).

The other situation was in Windsor, Ontario, in January, 2001. I can't describe it any other way than to say I feared for the life of every animal and homeless person left without shelter. My legs got windburn through my jeans.

After this, you realize that 0°C (32°F) might not be your desired temperature, but it's really nothing at all.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:43 AM

28 posts, read 107,293 times
Quote:
Not be the neard…….

But actually the Koppen climate classification system is not vague at all……..the definition of what “subtropical Humid Climate” in the most modern climate scheme….the Koppen-modified Trewartha is……

Places like Miami, Florida or Hanoi, Vietnam are tropical (all months over 65 F), places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Los Angles, California are subtropical (8 months or more over 50 F) and places like Chicago, Ill are temperate (4 to 7 months over 50 F).

Sky is right, in some years when one looks at the mean temps in southern Connecticut, a station like Bridgeport may have 8 months that had a mean temp of 50 F or higher. Along the East Coast, most places from Canada down to about northern Rhode Island never have a year with 8 or more months of 50 F means. Starting around Connecticut however,….. in some years the climate is by definition subtropical.

This is why all these California people make me laugh, they think there moving to Vermont or Michigan, in the end they are so disappointed that there is so little “real winter” in Connecticut. They news media makes such a stink about 15 or 20 inches of measly snow (the 4 or 5 times a year it even snows), like it’s Minnesota, Colorado, or Maine. The California transplants always give you that strange look - when you tell them more Hurricanes (tropical cyclones) have hit Connecticut than Blizzards.

Who tells out of staters more about Hurricanes than Blizzards? I'm 26 and have lived in New England my whole life and the only Hurricane that I (barely) remember is Gloria when I was about 6. Even Tropical storms, I can 't remember more than a few., Bob...Mitch?

Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Not be the neard…….

All true if you live on the CT coast...the rest of the state this does not apply...they have winter and it can be nasty depending on the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut