Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
hi all

i would like to know if anyone has any info on waterbury now i moved 20 years ago to the west coast. Thinking of moving back how is the town as far as crime, jobs ,houses i know a lot has changed in 20 years is it bad good or the same. or im thinking maybe wolcott, naugatuck, watertown, prospect. any help would be appreciated. please let me know what parts of waterbury are good place to move my wife kids and parents.

take care
vinman
Hi Vin...as a former Wtby guy myself and still in CT after moving away too here's my input.

The city is still stagnant. The mall opened up where the old Chase mill was and that whole area got redone. They rebuilt the Palace and did a bang up job and they had a few state handout projects like a UCONN branch but nothing followed that seed money and really that's really it.

If you've been gone since the mid 80's you will be in for a shock. Most of "us" (Yourself included) moved on. The neighborhoods are still intacts, but the face has changed dramatically.

Old things just got older and not much as changed. The city IMO has not progressed at all since you left - if anything it's gotten worse.

As for the valley, well - Naugy is still doing pretty good and they have a nice proposal for a downtown redevelopment project. BUT I still know a lot of natives who moved away too. My mother and some friends now live in my current area. They had enough of the valley. Fairfield county has expanded more and Naugatuck is becoming something of an affordable place to sleep so you can work in FFC, as are the old guard suburbs like Woodbury and Southbury. The desperate housewives set took over in those towns and IMO they are losing their charm quickly.

NOW, after saying that - other places in CT have done great. East of Hartford where I live now (Manchester) has really boomed and the city has so much new development going on it's not even funny. I love it here. IF you are thinking of moving back to CT, knowing what you came from (I came from the same) You would do good to look into the Eastern metro of Hartford such as Manchester, South Windsor, Vernon etc. Good homes for the money, good people good neighborhoods all much like the valley USED to be with access to the city of Hartford just down the hill.

Good luck Vin - feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or want the scoop "straight up" with no PC fluff from a former Waterburian.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrassCity View Post
Crime is not rampant. Waterbury is not in the same league as
New Haven, Hartford or Bridgeport. Not even Close!

I've lived here my whole life in the Hopeville section and have great
neighbors.

Home prices are a relative bargain here compared to even Naugatuck.

Taxes are high but we do get garbage pickup, fulltime fire/pd.... We
have a mayor who has a business sense to running the city. Much
better than the previous jailed mayor who was more interested in sex
with minors than running the city.

We have a very good police chief who can relate very well to all. The
firemen are the best in my mind.

And for the person who said that the Catholic Schools in Waterbury
aren't the best hasn't attended any of them. Sacred Heart High and
Holy Cross High are considered among the best schools in the state.
Also we have Chase Collegiate too.....

We also have 2 of the top Italian deli's in the State - Ann's & Nardellis.

Visit all parts of the city before judging us.

The city is a burnt out shell of what it used to be...My entire (rather large) family has moved on after settling there almost 100 years ago. Not one left and the original neighborhoods (West, North and East ends) is in ruins compared to what it was 20-30 years ago.

I can judge because I grew up there and know the city like the back of my hand. It sucks to lose your home town to corrupt politics, a large influx of the ghetto class, and cheap chinese labor putting all the mills out of business.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:10 AM

17 posts, read 63,858 times
i have lived in the waterbury area my entire life moved to oakville 7 years ago but i do alot of business in the city itself waterbury isn't much different than any other city it has its good sections and bad sections it is true 40 years of bad polatics has taken its toll but the city is bouncing back slowly but surely bunker hill, town plot, bucks hill and the east end are still fantastic neighborhoods the overlook section is making a big come back there are alot of housing deals in waterbury the guy who said 300k and up is nuts i sell real estate and i would be a very rich man if that were the case, the person who said if you don't want someone close to you to die is very extreme even crazy look at the stats compared to hartford, new haven, and bridgeport waterbury is lower one of the best things about the area is it is 30 minutes away from all other ct cities and 1.5 hours away from new york and boston one of the bad features are schools private schools are good public schools are going to get rid of the middle schools eventually and go back to k-8 neighborhood schools Naugatuck is ok alot of people coming from the coast and fairfield county watertown and thomaston are fantastic and a bargain

Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngol View Post
there are alot of housing deals in waterbury the guy who said 300k and up is nuts i sell real estate and i would be a very rich man if that were the case,
I believe this figure of $300,000 was referring to Prospect.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,490 times
I am considering moving waterbury over bridgeport. My few concerns are the schools. I have two children one entering 9th grade and the other 6th. Is the education system as bad as people say? Also how are the jobs? I have a degree in masters mental health counseling. Am I better off working in NY and commute or what? How is neighborhood with the zip code 06704?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM

77 posts, read 325,497 times
posted without reading all pages of thread. do not want to repeat something already said. my mistake.

Last edited by TiZZ; 03-16-2008 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: posted without reading all pages of thread.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 AM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
the kids would be fine. In 2006 and 2005, Crosby and Wilby has had 2 students go to Ivy League Schools, and Crosby has also had a student go to NYU. As far as discipline and structure, as long as the kids stay focused in their work, no one would bother them. The main problem now the "tough kids" looking to fight the other "touch kids" to prove to their girlfriends that they are tougher. But honestly, I don't think this is different from any other large public school system in the country

Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 PM

42 posts, read 136,759 times
What makes Naugatuck the pits. Have you ever lived here? Worked here? Or maybe all you know is the Rt.8 corridore with the factory and smoke stacks. Crime is extremely low here and my 3rd grader in public school is reading at full 4th grade level.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celina1960 View Post
What makes Naugatuck the pits. Have you ever lived here? Worked here? Or maybe all you know is the Rt.8 corridore with the factory and smoke stacks. Crime is extremely low here and my 3rd grader in public school is reading at full 4th grade level.
I find Naugatuck to be no better or no worse than Manchester. Not the pits at all, but does have its parts.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I find Naugatuck to be no better or no worse than Manchester. Not the pits at all, but does have its parts.
Mmnn, I don't know. Growing up in/next to one and now living in the other, I would have to disagree a bit.

Naugatuck is still doing okay but I find the overall cleanliness, people, housing and "growth factor" to be a notch higher up here. I'm not saying one is a slum and one is paradise...but a notch higher.

You just don't find that valley "grit" as much up here IMHO and I think the neighborhoods/properties are in better shape as as whole.

Granted, I don't know what your view of Manchester is so I'm not sure if you have ever been in the areas such as Lydallville section of town, Manchester Green, Highland Park, Case Mountain, Keeney Street South area etc. A lot of people only know the mall, and a few neighborhoods around the highway and East Hartford side.

On the flip side, yes I am fully aware of all the sections of Naugatuck. As I said my mother lived in Union city, girlfriend and other friends in the Glen Ridge/Hop Brook area and I pratically grew up in DT since the age of 10 visting the Salem Roller House and then Studio 54...heck my Grandmother even worked in one of the Rubber Factories! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut