Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times

Advertisements

I can't even see whom it was that called naugatuck the pits. It's kind of irrelevant though, considering that this was an inactive thread that was bumped.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I can't even see whom it was that called naugatuck the pits. It's kind of irrelevant though, considering that this was an inactive thread that was bumped.
It was on the first page...post # 4

//www.city-data.com/forum/19916-post4.html

I wouldn't call it a dump either by CT city standards.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Mmnn, I don't know. Growing up in/next to one and now living in the other, I would have to disagree a bit.

Naugatuck is still doing okay but I find the overall cleanliness, people, housing and "growth factor" to be a notch higher up here. I'm not saying one is a slum and one is paradise...but a notch higher.

You just don't find that valley "grit" as much up here IMHO and I think the neighborhoods/properties are in better shape as as whole.

Granted, I don't know what your view of Manchester is so I'm not sure if you have ever been in the areas such as Lydallville section of town, Manchester Green, Highland Park, Case Mountain, Keeney Street South area etc. A lot of people only know the mall, and a few neighborhoods around the highway and East Hartford side.

On the flip side, yes I am fully aware of all the sections of Naugatuck. As I said my mother lived in Union city, girlfriend and other friends in the Glen Ridge/Hop Brook area and I pratically grew up in DT since the age of 10 visting the Salem Roller House and then Studio 54...heck my Grandmother even worked in one of the Rubber Factories! LOL
Much of Naugatuck has changed for the better. Downtown is very attractive and the neighborhoods above downtown are seeing a lot of new "FFC folk" who are transforming the city into a SW CT bedroom community. I would call Meriden and Bristol gritty towns, not so much the towns in the Valley (especially Oxford and Huntington).

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-11-2008 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-11-2008, 09:00 PM

42 posts, read 136,759 times
The plaza is half empty because the landlord of the place is very money hungry and not a very pleasant person.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 PM

42 posts, read 136,759 times
That zip code has a very large area. I would call the police department and school department on your concerns.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
the kids would be fine. In 2006 and 2005, Crosby and Wilby has had 2 students go to Ivy League Schools, and Crosby has also had a student go to NYU. As far as discipline and structure, as long as the kids stay focused in their work, no one would bother them. The main problem now the "tough kids" looking to fight the other "touch kids" to prove to their girlfriends that they are tougher. But honestly, I don't think this is different from any other large public school system in the country
Thank You for staying positive it really help. How are the jobs? I am in the Social Work Field.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:08 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
Charnise,

I'm sorry for being so late in my response, i don't really go online when I'm not at school. But I'm not certain as to what jobs there would be in the social work field. But I can tell you that there is 20,000 kids that live in Waterbury, so if your work is what I imagine it to be, then there should be plenty of jobs.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 AM

42 posts, read 117,343 times
Waterbury?
Just the name makes me want to throw up!
One of my best friends daughter (17 years old) was raped and forced into prostitution over there.
The police was not cooperative to help her get her daughter out of there and when she did(by herself) they did nothing about prosecuting that rotten pimp.
He is still out on the street.
When she went to fill up the rape report they treated her like she was a scumb bag.

I understand why so many people talk negatively about the place.

Steph

Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
Steph, I hope you're near a garbage pale because I'm gonna throw the word WATERBURY at you

Please refrain from the I heard from my mothers-fathers-uncle's-grandmother that waterbury police are horrible. In fact, they just might be. But in order to give them a fair trial, maybe you should have the person that told you join the thread and have them join the thread and make their own statement.

Also, you mentioned that the person in question was "raped" then "forced into prostitution." Was this the type of gun-to-the-head forced or was it the professor-my-roommate-forced-me-to-watch-the-football-game-so-i-didn't-finish-the-powerpoint forced? Imagine how hard it is to convict a pimp..she's having sex (prostitution) the john is paying (solicitation of)..
where does the pimp fall in? hmm I'm not the D.A. but it sounds like we don't have a case here.

Those of you can stand there and criticize but I've never been raped or forced in to prostitution. My suggestion would be, when in Waterbury, drive down the streets that you belong.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
In all fairness...Waterbury was declared the safest city in New England with pop over 100K recently. (Or was it the Northeast? Ah crap I can't remember)

Waterbury has been doing some tremendous things as of late. It's got a loooong way to go, but it's getting better quickly . It's neighborhoods are also still very shockingly still in tact which is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut