Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 PM

154 posts, read 688,738 times

Advertisements

Some of you were very nice to answer my earlier questions about West Hartford. The one thing I still can't totally grasp, and I'm hoping you can help me with, is whehter or not WH has a specific personality or identity, or does it feel sort of like a generic suburb? (That is not meant as an insult - I just can't figure it out based on the information I've seen and read thus far so I'd love to hear form those with first-hand experience.)

thanks for any descriptions you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I can honestly say that West Hartford does not have a "generic suburb" feel to it. It has a certain charm with its older homes, mature landscape and generally high quality architecture that helps keep it from looking "run-of-the-mill". West Hartford Center is a good example and is commonly referred to as the ideal when people in the planning profession refer to what a town center should look like and be. And the new Blue Back Square extension of the center is being touted around the country as a prime example of good planning and development. Jay

Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM

6,136 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I can honestly say that West Hartford does not have a "generic suburb" feel to it. It has a certain charm with its older homes, mature landscape and generally high quality architecture that helps keep it from looking "run-of-the-mill". West Hartford Center is a good example and is commonly referred to as the ideal when people in the planning profession refer to what a town center should look like and be. And the new Blue Back Square extension of the center is being touted around the country as a prime example of good planning and development. Jay
I would second Jay's comments. I would compare WH favorably with inner-ring suburbs such as Oak Park, IL or Shaker Heights, OH. Think urban, tree-lined streets, and sidewalks/street lights in most places.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 AM

154 posts, read 688,738 times
thats very helpful - thanks! I havnt been to Oak Park but get a strong sense of it through research I've done on the internet (looked into moving there as well) so I'm happy to hear West Hartford might have a similar feel.

Is there any sense of community or is it too big for that? Is it a walkable area? Also, do you find it easy or a challenge to meet people ( we have young kids so want to get them acclimated fairly quickly)?

thanks again - you've been been a great resource.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I lived in West Hartford for around 16 to 17 years. It is anything but a faceless suburb filled with cookie cutter homes. It is similar to the Boston suburb called Newton.

West Hartford used to have sense of community though I can't say for certain that it still does because I have not lived there for five years.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times
West Hartford is very walkable. There are several neighborhoods that have shops and restaurants that support them, so you won't necessarily have to drive too far for anything. Some of the neighborhoods are Bishops Corner, Corbins Corner, the Center, Elmwood, Park Road, and the Elizabeth Park area. Typical lot sizes are less than 1/3 of an acre, so housing is fairly dense and most streets have sidewalks.

I would say there is a sense of community in town. There are several events throughout the year, West Hartford Days, Park Road parade, summer concerts at Elizabeth Park, Cruisin' the Center, etc. that involve the community and get people out and about. And because the neighborhoods are so walkable, you'll find that people are involved with their neighborhoods and neighbors. Block parties are common in the summer.

WILW is right, WH compares very well to Newton just outside of Boston.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 PM

6,136 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelise View Post
thats very helpful - thanks! I havnt been to Oak Park but get a strong sense of it through research I've done on the internet (looked into moving there as well) so I'm happy to hear West Hartford might have a similar feel.

Is there any sense of community or is it too big for that? Is it a walkable area? Also, do you find it easy or a challenge to meet people ( we have young kids so want to get them acclimated fairly quickly)?

thanks again - you've been been a great resource.
As one who moved here less than a year ago, I would say the acclimation has been as expected. We got to know 3 of the neighbors very quickly (it was one of those warm days in January when people were out raking), but to be honest not many since. On the other hand, our child has had absolutely no problem making lots of friends (Aiken Elementary).

I think it will come down to the particular area in WH you choose. For your criteria, I would recommend the Bugbee neighborhood. It seemed to be friendly when we were looking for houses, and most kids live within walking distance of the elementary school.

Finally, nearly the entire town is walkable, except for the western edge along Mountain Rd. Situation should get even better with the proposed trail along Trout Brook.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:28 PM

103 posts, read 427,982 times
I've lived in 5 towns in CT and West Hartford was by far the friendliest and seemed to have the most sense of community. That may be in part because of where I lived - off the center and then off of Park Road near the Hartford line where the lots tend to be smaller and you can walk to restaurants, etc. My neighbors were always friendly (but not nosy), helpful (not pushy) and cared about their properties. It's also a community where people are involved - from property tax issues, schools, ec. dev., etc.

I just always felt WH was the kind of town that anyone could find a part or neighborhood they liked and could afford and that they would be welcomed.

And there are so many things for kids to do - the Parks and Rec dept is the best in the area.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
I think it will come down to the particular area in WH you choose. For your criteria, I would recommend the Bugbee neighborhood. It seemed to be friendly when we were looking for houses, and most kids live within walking distance of the elementary school.
My experience is that the Bugbee neighborhood tends to be pricier than some of the other areas of WH. If you must look in the Bugbee district, pick an area where there are lots and lots of kids in the neighborhood. It would be much better for trick-or-treating or carpooling issues and you have mommies and daddies that understand issues related to raising kids. Some streets (like around where I used to live) have older residents, with a couple having more time on their hands than most working class people. So much so that they have time to complain to WHPD about the occasional barking of your dog over the other side of your fence, or have the time to show up at Town Hall for a hearing to fight your application for a zoning variance for an enclosed mudroom in front of your house because your kids are getting soaked in the rain...that kind of thing.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM

438 posts, read 1,197,400 times
The area between Farmington and Fern and east of Quaker Lane is very attractive, reasonably close to most of West Hartford's main attractions, and a short walk to the local elementary school (Whiting Lane). I expect it'd be cheaper than Bugbee, too. I used to see kids playing ball and riding bikes all the time in that neck of the woods. That'd be my pick.

Or, if you want to avoid crossing Farmington, look one block south and a bit to the west, near the Kingswood-Oxford School, though they'll still have to cross Quaker Lane that way (to get to Whiting).

(Not that traffic is all that intense on either Quaker or Farmington, but obviously the fewer crossings the better -- though actually, I think little side streets are frequently less safe than the big ones, because people often take them too fast and there's sometimes poor visibility and no sidewalk.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut