Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

I mentioned Easton, Weston and Redding as an alternative to Ridgefield not because they are more affordable but because they are just as affordable. They sometimes have a nice home at a reasonable price and as mentioned are close to Westport and Fairfield. I also like Kidyankee's suggestion of looking east of New Haven. Branford, Guilford and Madison are very nice with a lot of what Ridgefield has to offer at a more reasonable price. Plus you can catch a Shoreline East train to New Haven and connect to Metro-North into the city. Good luck, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 35,770 times
Thanks everyone! This is all very helpful. Now I'm checking out Madison and Guilford. It never occurred to me we could find a nice home in in our price range a good school district near the BEACH! It's a little far, though....

Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin'Rose View Post
Thanks everyone! This is all very helpful. Now I'm checking out Madison and Guilford. It never occurred to me we could find a nice home in in our price range a good school district near the BEACH! It's a little far, though....
Both are great towns. They are right on the water and about 90 mins from NYC driving (without traffic). You also have the train in town which, after the switch in New Haven, takes you right into Grand Central. Schools are excellent, you can get a little more for your money, and the towns are very nice. Also take a look at Essex.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:04 PM

184 posts, read 842,330 times
Let me correct myself - by Ridgefield being "more affordable" I think the OP will find a bit more inventory in Ridgefield in the 600K range than in the other towns - more homes to check out and choose from.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times
We moved to New Fairfield and we absolutely love it. You can get a great house for 600k here. The schools are good and its a nice small quiet town. Everyone here is orignially from NY so we all get along here We are originally from Westchester and I feel that we fit in betterhere than we would have in Ridgefield. Yes they have a great downtown but so overpriced and expensive that to me, its not even worth it. We originally were lookingin Ridgefield to be closer to NY as well but we border NY here as well. From here you can take Metro North from Brewster (southeast station). ANy questions-feel free to pm me.

PS-we have a small man made beach here that is really great for the kids.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 35,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
We moved to New Fairfield and we absolutely love it. You can get a great house for 600k here. The schools are good and its a nice small quiet town. Everyone here is orignially from NY so we all get along here We are originally from Westchester and I feel that we fit in betterhere than we would have in Ridgefield. Yes they have a great downtown but so overpriced and expensive that to me, its not even worth it. We originally were lookingin Ridgefield to be closer to NY as well but we border NY here as well. From here you can take Metro North from Brewster (southeast station). ANy questions-feel free to pm me.

Thks MomofToo. Can I ask why you decided on New Fairfield? Were you considering any of the other CT towns mentioned on this thread? I'm just curious what the selling factor was for you. I've heard New Fairfield mentioned on other threads before, but know even less about that area. I know about the lake, but that's about it. )

Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 17,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
We moved to New Fairfield and we absolutely love it. You can get a great house for 600k here. The schools are good and its a nice small quiet town. Everyone here is originally from NY so we all get along here We are originally from Westchester and I feel that we fit in betterhere than we would have in Ridgefield. Yes they have a great downtown but so overpriced and expensive that to me, its not even worth it. We originally were lookingin Ridgefield to be closer to NY as well but we border NY here as well. From here you can take Metro North from Brewster (southeast station). ANy questions-feel free to pm me.

I live in New Fairfield as well. I was also originally looking in Ridgefield. I like Ridgefield but very happy with my decision to buy in New Fairfield. One of the main selling points for me in New Fairfield was the size of the home you can get for your money. In Ridgefield, I could get a starter home the size of the one I sold in NY. I was looking in the 600k-700K area. Some of the homes I looked at in Ridgefield are still on the market for much much less. I have a very beautiful home in New Fairfield with wonderful neighbors. I can't speak for the schools since my children are not of age but all my neighbors are very happy with the BOE.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 AM

356 posts, read 808,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The towns are actually pretty similar, but Ridgefield prices are nearly double that of Southbury prices. Why? Proximity to NYC and Metro North. Ridgefield has a nice quaint downtown, while Southbury's is more spread out where you'd need a car to go from store to store. They are both rural, both affluent, and both near highways. Southbury is close to Danbury and Waterbury, where Ridgefield is close to Danbury and Norwalk. Also Ridgefield has always seemed busier than Southbury.

Southbury does have a large 55+ neighborhood that takes up much of the town (Heritage Village) so Southbury's median age will be higher. It also makes driving down Main St in Southbury interesting.

Schools in both towns are good. Southbury regionalizes with nearby (and more affluent) Middlebury to form Region 15. Ridgefield has their own high school.

Also take a look at Monroe, Oxford, Newtown and Brookfield. All are similarly priced to Southbury but more direct to lower Fairfield County and NYC if you will still be travelling there every so often. Oxford has their own brand new high school that local newspapers have been raving about, and Monroe's Masuk is very good too. These towns are relatively rural/suburbanish too but have plenty of neighborhoods with friendly families.
Yeah Oxford High is amazing...I was there on Friday night to cover a Weston/Oxford basketball game...they're team sucks though!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 AM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times
I am sorry I didn't write back sooner Ramblin Rose!
We were trying to stay near the NY border and good school were a must. You do get more house and yard for your money in New Fairfield. Its a very small but cute town with the focus on children. The churches have programs for children, which is great for new comers. I love the elementary school (Consolidated) my son has a wonderful teacher and there is alot of parent involvement. Its small, there aren't sidewalks into town but it is a wonderful place to raise a family. I didn't want to have to keep up with the Jones' in Ridgefield. We feel more at home here and no one seems "fake" I see alot of that in Ridgefield.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Yeah Oxford High is amazing...I was there on Friday night to cover a Weston/Oxford basketball game...they're team sucks though!
I've only seen it once, you can't see it from the road since it's set so high up. They say from the second story of the building, you can actually see the sound, and on a clear day, the Long Island shoreline.

If the newspapers are correct, Oxford High has a pretty decent football team. I'm not sure how they compare to other schools in the SWC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut