Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 AM

588 posts, read 1,873,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Thanks for the reminder though because I have been paying for HD service and now that it's the "standard" for the nation I'm going to see if I still will get "charged".
Just wanted to throw my $.02 in here... HD isn't the "standard" for the nation - digital over the air (OTA) broadcasting is. Digitial is a vast improvement over the soon-to-be defunct analog OTA signals, but it's definitely not a true HD signal. HD is *available* OTA, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get it. They are only allegedly guaranteeing that you can receive the digital signal.

The Digital TV Transition: What Is DTV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,162,576 times
I pay $169 a month with Comcast and have the bundled service (phone, internet, cable)

Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,925,484 times
It sounds like were all getting screwed about the same amount... Technology is great, but it doesn't come cheap!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 PM

588 posts, read 1,873,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I pay $169 a month with Comcast and have the bundled service (phone, internet, cable)
That seems completely outrageous...I have the same bundled services, through AT&T's UVerse, and I'm paying $105 (including 1 extra cable box and the HD services). Even before I had Uverse, I was paying $50/mo for a POTS line (regular old phone line) and DSL service, plus another $50-60/mo for Cablevision's family package w/ DVR. There aren't many options out there, but I would call your company and threaten to leave for a competing service unless they lower your rates.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,854,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Just wanted to throw my $.02 in here... HD isn't the "standard" for the nation - digital over the air (OTA) broadcasting is. Digitial is a vast improvement over the soon-to-be defunct analog OTA signals, but it's definitely not a true HD signal. HD is *available* OTA, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get it. They are only allegedly guaranteeing that you can receive the digital signal.

The Digital TV Transition: What Is DTV?
For Whatever It Is worth...my experience over the last year has been that when I can get digital reception via antenna the picture quality is outstanding. Equal to cable or satellite, maybe better.

Most channels I receive offer some, often a lot of, HD programming....both 720p and 10801. The reception/quality/pictures are often spectacular. Again, this is in PA so CT OTA experience from different areas is needed to see what they have found the reception is like.....and as in my experience may require some tinkering.....but the potential is great and the price is right.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
I got DirecTV and haven't changed since 2003! $49.99 a month. I use cell phone only $59.99 a month. I got Cable internet. $49.99/mth. Whatever the total is, I'm happy with the situation.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 PM

166 posts, read 511,575 times
For anybody that wants to change packages, you can go to a Best Buy and sign up for promo deals through them - that they don't offer elsewhere. I used to live in CT, but down here in TN I am paying $50 a month for the next 6 months for expanded basic cable and high speed internet, then it will be going to $75 a month after that. I got that deal via Circuit City (no longer an option, but BBY does the same thing) It is via Charter, my Comcast bill for the same in SW VA was about $87 a month.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM

44 posts, read 96,121 times
yikes guys!!!

basic cable...$14 (optimum)
basic DSL, landline, 2 cell...$100 (ATT)

rethink if you really "need" all the bells and whistles....

as for the poster with calls to italy.... have you google calling cards on line? i call the netherlands for .02 a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut