Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 PM

68 posts, read 359,116 times

Advertisements

I have to come to the defense of Connecticut residents on this one. I'm hoping to move to the area in August, and I was recently in New Haven for 2 days for an interview. I took the second night (after the interview) to cruise downtown, and met nothing but really friendly and nice folks. ***Even the cab drivers were nice*** (which shocked me)! Maybe I was just lucky, but I thought everyone was great. Kudos to the bartender that hooked me up with several free drinks. haha. Hope to join you guys in CT soon!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM

84 posts, read 442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Generally speaking, if you are getting cut off, flipped off etc it's because you are not keeping pace with the traffic and/or becoming more of an obsticle in traffic.

The left lane is NOT for travel. It's a passing lane. Slower traffic keep right. If someone needs to get in to your lane and they are slightly behind you, hit the gas and not the brake...if they are in front, brake lightly.

It's that simple.

I found it just the opposite in the South. Two lane highway in the middle of NOTHING, with two cars having a cruise control race in both lanes. I flash to pass, I get brake lights. Sigh...flash to pass again, I get brake checked...Okay third time is charm, they speed up for brief second, make the pass and pull to the right lane. I go by, and WHAM right on my butt with the high beams flashing on and off. Talk about ignorant.

Sometimes I'm glad we don't have an autobahn because 80% of the driving public is scared to actually drive.

I do agree that people sleezing into a stopped lane last minute and such is - well, sleezy. I never let those people in, and in fact they may be on the receiving end of the 1 finger salute. LOL

Oh jviello, I usually enjoy your posts so much. I'm so disappointed in this one. I get the whole left lane thing drives some people crazy; my husband the speeder from IA can't stand it when someone in the left lane is in his way and doesn't understand that they need to get over. That's one point of view.

The other point of view is that if they are actually driving the speed limit or near it, say 75 mph, you feel justified in giving them the "salute" because you are in a hurry to break the law. Come on.

My mother raised me with an unbreakable rule: No one should have enough power over you to compel you to behave in a discourteous fashion.

Still friends?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
Oh jviello, I usually enjoy your posts so much. I'm so disappointed in this one.
I'm not. He is being honest here. If you dispute anything that he is saying, try driving along I-84 or I-91, middle lane at about 60, and see if you disagree.

Quote:
The other point of view is that if they are actually driving the speed limit or near it, say 75 mph, you feel justified in giving them the "salute"
In my experience, they're usually going 50 mph while gabbing away on the phone oblivious to the 10 or 12 cars behind them.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 AM

5 posts, read 21,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Generally speaking, if you are getting cut off, flipped off etc it's because you are not keeping pace with the traffic and/or becoming more of an obsticle in traffic.

The left lane is NOT for travel. It's a passing lane. Slower traffic keep right. If someone needs to get in to your lane and they are slightly behind you, hit the gas and not the brake...if they are in front, brake lightly.

It's that simple.

I found it just the opposite in the South. Two lane highway in the middle of NOTHING, with two cars having a cruise control race in both lanes. I flash to pass, I get brake lights. Sigh...flash to pass again, I get brake checked...Okay third time is charm, they speed up for brief second, make the pass and pull to the right lane. I go by, and WHAM right on my butt with the high beams flashing on and off. Talk about ignorant.

Sometimes I'm glad we don't have an autobahn because 80% of the driving public is scared to actually drive.

I do agree that people sleezing into a stopped lane last minute and such is - well, sleezy. I never let those people in, and in fact they may be on the receiving end of the 1 finger salute. LOL
Actually I'll correct you. There's a reason they took down the signs many years ago that read "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". On two lane highways, the right lane is the designated slow lane and the left lane is the fast or travel lane. This is true especially in a densely populated state such as Connecticut where if that left lane weren't open to traveling traffic, there would be major backups because of people switching lanes so often. So no, the left lane is not only to pass IF there are only two lanes. If there are 3, it's technically the passing lane but our highway system is antiquated, so that left lane is imperative to keeping traffic moving. Check this with your local police. You'll find it to be true.

And how irresponsible of you to blind somebody with your high beams because they don't feel like going 10-20 mph over the speed limit. The car you're tailing and flashing your lights on could be my 75 year old grandmother or anyone's 16 year old daughter learning how to drive. Who the hell do you think you are bullying people on the road who won't drive fast? And how is it ignorant that people blind you for blinding them? Wouldn't you think it's ignorant of you to do that in the first place? Shame on you, and as far as I'm concerned (from speeding to deliberately blinding people with your lights and then having the nerve to get pissed at them when they tap their breaks because you're being a jerk) you shouldn't be a licensed driver. Road rage is a serious offense, as is reckless driving, because that's exactly what it is. In keeping pace with the thread, you really show yourself to be more rude than reserved. Or should it be inconsiderate??

I, too, enjoyed reading your posts because your knowledge of the Hartford area is of great help to people on this thread, but this one post really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited by jayCT22; 05-01-2007 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 AM

105 posts, read 356,476 times
Down here on I-10, when you see someone in the left lane cruising at ten miles below the speed limit, the license plate usually says Sunshine State.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Oh jviello, I usually enjoy your posts so much. I'm so disappointed in this one. I get the whole left lane thing drives some people crazy; my husband the speeder from IA can't stand it when someone in the left lane is in his way and doesn't understand that they need to get over. That's one point of view.

The other point of view is that if they are actually driving the speed limit or near it, say 75 mph, you feel justified in giving them the "salute" because you are in a hurry to break the law. Come on.

My mother raised me with an unbreakable rule: No one should have enough power over you to compel you to behave in a discourteous fashion.

Still friends?
Let me be clear about my post. It's not about aggravation. It's not about agression. It's about the law and rule of driving. The left lane is NOT a travel lane. It's in your DMV handbook. You should not be pacing the car in the middle lane while you are in the left lane. Pass, or slow down - put on your right signal and move over and travel.

I travel a LOT on CT's highways, and at least 90% of the time I'm in the middle lane. If I have to pass, check the mirror, left signal - lane change, pass, right signal - lane change. It's that simple.

Why is that so hard?

I'm not talking about someone going 90mph pushing a car going 70mph...BUT even still if they are coming up on you and you can move to the right lane - you were supposed to be there anyway. If not, continue on at your speed IF you are overtaking the car in the right lane (If not speed up a little or slow down) and when the right lane opens up move over. A drivers license does not equal a badge no matter how much you may disagree with the other person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayCT22 View Post
Actually I'll correct you. There's a reason they took down the signs many years ago that read "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS".
Call the DMV. The rule of law still state that slower traffic keep right and the flow of traffic is designed the way I posted above.

Quote:
On two lane highways, the right lane is the designated slow lane and the left lane is the fast or travel lane.
On a two lane highway, both lanes are dual purpose. Left lane ='s passing/travel right lane equals slow traffic/travel.

It's very easy. If you can move over, do so.

Quote:
This is true especially in a densely populated state such as Connecticut where if that left lane weren't open to traveling traffic, there would be major backups because of people switching lanes so often. So no, the left lane is not only to pass IF there are only two lanes. If there are 3, it's technically the passing lane but our highway system is antiquated, so that left lane is imperative to keeping traffic moving. Check this with your local police. You'll find it to be true.
I dont' need to check with the local police. State Police Sargent Paul Vance is a friend for over 20 years, as is Sgt Cunningham of the DMV and Inspector Demayo of the DMV. (Remember I've been in the automotive industry for over 21 years.)

We have two...two short stretches of federal highway that is two lanes in this state...antiquated? I seriously disagree. If you mean we dont' have speed trap cameras, helicopter speed traps, traffic cameras and electronic bulletin boards then yes and I say THANK GOD.

Quote:
And how irresponsible of you to blind somebody with your high beams because they don't feel like going 10-20 mph over the speed limit. The car you're tailing and flashing your lights on could be my 75 year old grandmother or anyone's 16 year old daughter learning how to drive. Who the hell do you think you are bullying people on the road who won't drive fast?
I'm going to stop your rant right there. Why do you have a flash to pass on your car? Why do they do so on every road in the world - specifically in Germany on the autobahn? It's to alert the person in front of you that quicker moving traffic is approaching and guess what...in the rest of the world people move over with no brake checks, flip offs or wannabe cop attitudes!

It's the blatant arrogance of the American driver who thinks it's his or her RIGHT to block traffic or dictate to someone how fast or slow THEY think they should go...it's just a typical American selfish narcissistic ego driven mindset.

Not everyone is paying attention to their mirrors. (Sad but true) That's why you have flash to pass. I suggest you do some research on the subject before going off on an ignorant tirade about me being a bully.

As for your grandmother and daughter...IT'S THE LAW so you should teach your 16 year old the law of passing and travel lanes and WHAT FLASH TO PASS MEANS...and your grandmother should be tested every year to be sure she is fit to be behind the wheel.

Blinding someone from a quick flash? Get real...You are clueless to the subject, sorry.

Edit: This is right from the CT DMV Handbook.

Page 47

Quote:
Avoiding the Risks
How to Avoid Conflict on the Road
There are solutions to these problems, but most of them come from within the driver. Here are some helpful hints to remember:
• Very often, another driver’s aggressive driving makes one feel compelled to retaliate. However, it is best to leave
punishment to the police. Call the police to report any instances of aggressive driving when you arrive at your destination.
• Don’t compete on the road. Driving is not a contest. Let others who are racing pass you.
• If another driver does something to anger you, talk to your passengers about it instead of using your vehicle as a
weapon to retaliate.
• If you get angry easily and feel that you do not have the best frame of mind while driving, consider postponing the trip
until you feel better or have a friend drive or call a taxi.
• Give an aggressive driver the benefit of the doubt - it is possible or likely that he or she made a mistake from fatigue or
from failing to pay attention, but did not intentionally set out to cause a problem for you.
Motorists would be well advised to keep their cool in traffic. Be patient and courteous to other drivers and correct unsafe driving
habits that are likely to endanger, infuriate or antagonize other motorists. Be aware of the behaviors that have resulted in violence
in the past.

Behaviors That Can Cause Trouble

Lane Blocking. Don’t block the passing lane. Stay out of the far left lane and yield to the right for any vehicle that wants to
pass.

Tailgating. Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you. Dozens of deadly traffic altercations begin when one
driver tailgates another.

Signal Lights. Don’t switch lanes without first signaling your intention to do so, and make sure you don’t cut someone off
when you move over. After you’ve made the maneuver, turn your signal off.

Gestures. If you want to wave to another driver, please use all of your fingers. Obscene gestures have gotten people shot,
stabbed and beaten.
And again on Page 38

Quote:
Being Tailgated. Every now and then, you may find yourself being followed closely or “tailgated” by another driver. If
you are being followed too closely and there is a right lane, move over to the right.
If there is no right lane, wait until the
road ahead is clear, then reduce speed slowly. This will encourage the tailgater to drive around you. Never slow down
quickly to discourage a tailgater. It increases your risk of being hit from behind.
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/ctdriver.pdf (broken link)

Wow, how about that. Too bad more people don't know the rules of the road or how to act in a proper manner.

Last edited by JViello; 05-01-2007 at 06:57 AM..

Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iska View Post
Down here on I-10, when you see someone in the left lane cruising at ten miles below the speed limit, the license plate usually says Sunshine State.
Exactly, and when you flash to pass you get brake checked, flipped off, "scolded" etc. Nice.

It's the typical mindset..."No one is going to tell ME what to do - if I want to drive in this lane all day, damn it I'm going to and no punk bully is going to make me pull over".

All the while a person like myself has "bully" the last thing on my mind...more like "just move over please so I can continue on...thanks"

Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,523 times
Boy this thread reminds me of why I do not miss those days, especially in the summer, in CT often driving I-95 between NY and Stonington! Watching this two-lane mayhem and weaving in-and-out of traffic is something to behold in CT like no place except perhaps southern Jersey on the Turnpike: you would mistake it for steering tests betwen a set of cones testing a yet-to-be-released sedan/SUV. Two-lane highways in the northeast corridor just don't cut it any where in this day and age.
I agree, it is very elementary that you are not in the left lane for any reason but to pass. No one should be tailgating, or so impatient to cut you off while you are exceeding 65 mph and in the process of passing another vehicle. I've been on that end and it is tempting in instances when these jerks tailgate you, to give them the "quick brake and accelerate treatment", which I openly admit I've done more than once in extreme cases on a bad day. On the other side of the coin, if trailing someone who is holding up traffic and not passing, I occasionally have given the quick flash of a high beam in the day time. No tailgating, no blaring of the horn, no shaking the fist out of the window violently. No harm done, just to indicate in the least curt fashion possible that you need to move. For the person who would dare say as long as they are doing 65, they have every right to be in the left lane even if not passing, that individual has alot of audacity. What if the passenger in that car behind you is in labor, or there is some other form of sudden medical emergency? It is downright stupid to be traversing in the left lane if you have no intention to pass and that is as elementary as the ABCs of driving come. Where were these people during driving school on the day they taught you how to drive?

Last edited by unknown stuntman; 05-01-2007 at 07:41 AM..

Old 05-01-2007, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,526 times
Default Hey westguy22. I have to agree with your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westguy22 View Post
I visited CT in early January because we are thinking about a move to the Litchfield area. We looked at Woodbury and Roxbury- both classy towns but we can't seem to forget the rudeness of some people in CT. Not only some, but it seemed like most. It seems like they go out of the way to ignore you and NOT make eye contact, don't say thank you when you hold the door, fail to use signal lights on the roads and when you say something to them, they look at you as if you're from anotehr country. Dont get me wrong, i love CT but why do people here act this way? I've never been to a place where the population is so alike and distinct.

i'd love to hear other's opinions on this, esp people who moved here from outside of the northeast.

thanks

Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,523 times
[quote]I visited CT in early January because we are thinking about a move to the Litchfield area. We looked at Woodbury and Roxbury- both classy towns but we can't seem to forget the rudeness of some people in CT. Not only some, but it seemed like most. It seems like they go out of the way to ignore you and NOT make eye contact, don't say thank you when you hold the door, fail to use signal lights on the roads and when you say something to them, they look at you as if you're from another country.[quote]

As someone who has lived in many places around the country, grew up in CT, and lived in other places in New England as well, that sort of sums up my feelings for ALL of Southern New England (CT, RI, Mass), as well as the whole northeast corridor between Mass and greater DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut