Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,177 times

Advertisements

Have visited Madison many times, really love it! Now I that I no longer commute into NYC: I would like to relocate from Fairfield county. Madison seems to have everything; great schools, great sports programs for the kids; what is it like? We would like to find that type of neighborhood where the kids all play together; where the lots are big enough for privacy but not so small that it's like living in a fishbowl.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Madison is a wonderful upscale town that has a lot to offer. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of activities for families. In comparison to Fairfield County, the home prices are reasonable. About the only downside that I know if is that there is limited shopping. There is a nice small downtown and there are a number of stores along Route 1 but you will have to travel to find a wide range of national stores. Most will drive up to Waterford or down to Milford to do really big shopping. I know people that even drive all the way to West Farms Mall in Farmington to shop at more upscale shops. In fact, one of Nordstrom's West Farms store's largest draw towns is Madison (meaning that a lot of Madison residents drive up to that store to shop). I hope this helps, Jay

Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,177 times
Thanks Jay, I really appreciate your input. I have noticed some of the negative stories in the press about the Madison police and the uranium in the water but am not really concerned about either issue. If anything the police dept. will surely be much better going forward;and tiny traces of uranium are pretty common especially in CT. Fairfield county is getting super congested; one Friday afternoon in July; around 3pm; it took me 45 minutes to go from Exit 5 to Exit 9 on 95.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Keep in mind that it is quiet in the Madison area, people coming from a busier area may find it too quiet. When you have to travel 20 miles to shop at maajor stores, it is something to think about carefully particularly when you are use to having everything nearby. Jay

Old 12-18-2009, 07:07 PM

113 posts, read 325,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Madison is a wonderful upscale town that has a lot to offer. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of activities for families. In comparison to Fairfield County, the home prices are reasonable. About the only downside that I know if is that there is limited shopping. There is a nice small downtown and there are a number of stores along Route 1 but you will have to travel to find a wide range of national stores. Most will drive up to Waterford or down to Milford to do really big shopping. I know people that even drive all the way to West Farms Mall in Farmington to shop at more upscale shops. In fact, one of Nordstrom's West Farms store's largest draw towns is Madison (meaning that a lot of Madison residents drive up to that store to shop). I hope this helps, Jay
The elementary school Jeffrey was voted #1 in the state.

But Jay how long have you lived in Madison? Have you ever, you always say you lived in Glastonbury. How does that make you a townie expert? Please ask for a local like myself for over a decades opinion. I can talk bull on Bozrah but I only been there twice.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:36 PM

113 posts, read 325,864 times
We would like to find that type of neighborhood where the kids all play together; where the lots are big enough for privacy but not so small that it's like living in a fishbowl.

The kids playing together you have live on a cul-de-sac or by the water. The later is very pricey and the town surtaxes south of Rt 1, water views, etc so your taxes are up.

I live 2 miles north of Rt 1 and my kids are play dates heaven.

There is a lot of hubris arrogance here so watch out. However there is also some great people. {The jones garbage and most of those don't have it}

One joke is GM should have just marketed Saabs in this area. They only sold 10k last year in the US and 10% of that must be here.

Remember the magazine "The Economist" ranked CT the least friendliest state. I believe it too. It is very don't get to close to me. ???

Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinect View Post
But Jay how long have you lived in Madison? Have you ever, you always say you lived in Glastonbury. How does that make you a townie expert? Please ask for a local like myself for over a decades opinion. I can talk bull on Bozrah but I only been there twice.
I never said I lived in Madison, but that does not mean I do not know the town. I have been there more than twice and know people that have lived there for longer than a decade. Is anything I said not true? You may have your gripes with it, but the people I know there like it a lot. Jay

Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 31,337 times
Quote:
There is a lot of hubris arrogance here so watch out.

One joke is GM should have just marketed Saabs in this area. They only sold 10k last year in the US and 10% of that must be here.

Remember the magazine "The Economist" ranked CT the least friendliest state. I believe it too. It is very don't get to close to me. ???
Yes I have heard all about the snobby people in your state and very unfriendly cold people too so worried to be moving there. i hear everyone is unhappy too. can someone please tell me about this. thank you

Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
There is a lot of hubris arrogance here so watch out. However there is also some great people. {The jones garbage and most of those don't have it}

Regarding Saab, a recent article (I can't find it anymore) about their coming disappearance noted that Saabs were mostly found in the Northeast, especially CT and said that was one reason why in it's heydey their US HQ was in Milford.

Regarding "friendliest" and "arrogant", at least people are generally "tolerant" here and don't shove their politics in your face or bug you about what church you go to like often happens in the South. Unlike here, down there if you disagree at all with many conservatives, they act like they have to save America from you and unlike here, with those same types there's no such thing as agreeing on some issues and disagreeing on others. Here at least the liberal-conservative divide is more like a healthy college debate.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:23 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
I think Madison is actually nicer than some of the more expensive Fairfield County towns where you're just paying to be closer to NYC. Also, if shopping is a big concern, the Clinton outlets are 1 town over, 10 minutes away, and it's not like Madison doesn't have its own supermarkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut