Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM

470 posts, read 1,665,679 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a new TV for my bedroom (32" LCD). I currently have an older CRT with the little Comcast converter on it. I think they call it a DTA... It allows me to receive channels above 29 (i think). I know it's purpose if to read the digital channel signals and convert them to an analog signal.

When I buy a TV it will have a QAM tuner so I can receive the HD broadcast channels over cable. Will this also read the higher channels or will Comcast force me to pay another $10 a month for another digital box? Does anyone, who is an area that requires the DTA, have a QAM equiped LCD hooked up and not need the DTA?

I have looked everywhere for an answer, including this site, and no one knows the correct answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,437 times
I have the setup you are describing (I think). My tv with the cable box can access all my subscribed channels (as it should). My TV that has the cable wire directly attached (no box) can only get channels below 100. It's fine for me in the location I have it so I declined renting an additional box from Comcast. I hope that helps.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM

269 posts, read 911,111 times
As long as you don't want premium channels (hbo, showtime, etc) or the On-Demand the QAM tuner should do the trick. You will get all standard channels in HD and SD which they don't scramble.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,679 times
Will I get the channels that were converted to digital too or will I just get 2-29? The Comcast website kinak walks around the question in the FAQ section. I want to make sure I will still get 30-70-something and still have access to the HD selections that are broadcast in there.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
Will I get the channels that were converted to digital too or will I just get 2-29? The Comcast website kinak walks around the question in the FAQ section. I want to make sure I will still get 30-70-something and still have access to the HD selections that are broadcast in there.
Call your cable company and they should be able to answer all your questions. That is what you are paying them for. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut