Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hartford CT..

July 1994 was hottest on record; average temperature of 77.1F was 3.4F above normal. Thats taking the average high and average low to create the full average for the month.

The 87.80 average you see above is the High temps only. When we look at the entire month this year we're sitting at 76.2... so we're 1 degree away from breaking it.

I think if Hartford's lows stay above 72 and the Highes stay above 82 they will break it.
I was thinking of average HIGH temperature, was speculating if the 87.8 would rise to 90 and if Hartford ever had an average that high before, though your info on average temperature is interesting too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I was thinking of average HIGH temperature, was speculating if the 87.8 would rise to 90 and if Hartford ever had an average that high before, though your info on average temperature is interesting too.
Hartford, CT Monthly High average:

July 2011 87.8(5 days left)
July 2010 88.4.
July 2009 80.1
July 2008 85.5
July 2007 84.5
July 2006 87.2

Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Hartford, CT Monthly High average:

July 2011 87.8(5 days left)
July 2010 88.4.
July 2009 80.1
July 2008 85.5
July 2007 84.5
July 2006 87.2
I bet the 88.4 is the highest "average high" for July (probably for any month) in their record though I wonder about 1999 (if you got your info from the place I'm thinking of (the BOX website), I know it (as does OKX) only shows you the last 5 years so don't go nuts with this, it's just a curiosity).

But anyway, it's a close call, though I think unless Saturday and Sunday are really hot they won't top 2010. Looking at the website, high was only about 83 or 84 today and NWS is predicting only 85 tomorrow and 81 on Friday, 90 Saturday and 87 Sunday. If those numbers are what really happens it would probably end up closer to the 2006 number of 87.2. Same deal with Wavehunter's speculation on where this month will rank for average temperature in Central Park.

Speaking of which, it now looks like from NYC on north Friday's actually going to be a cloudy, somewhat coolish rainy day and Sat/Sun right around 90, which while hot isn't that far above normal this time of year and is hardly the 100+ of recent. Though they're still talking 95+ in Philly and 100+ in DC area and points south.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I wonder about 1999 (if you got your info from the place I'm thinking of (the BOX website), I know it (as does OKX) only shows you the last 5 years so don't go nuts with this, it's just a curiosity).
I'm curious too.. I'm in touch with NWS, lets see if they have an answer for us. If they do, I'll post back... otherwise we'll have to get to work and create a list by looking individual records for each day/month/year.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 AM

Default Storms 7-29-11

Friday is heads up day. Afternoon and evening to be the worst since the warming will result in more unstable air.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM

BTW - If you think thunderstorms are no big deal... read my new post on the report from NWS on the storm damage assessment. Dont take any warning lightly. Bust or not. While it may look like clouds rolling in, the upper layer can be strong enough to rotate the entire system and create Tornados.

" THE STRONGEST
WINDS WERE ESTIMATED TO BE BETWEEN 90 AND 100 MPH"

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...l#post20213452

Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM

2 things to watch for tomorrow (Friday)

- Humidity
- Storms
Both will be to heavy side.

Here's SPC's thinking. SouthWestCT should get the worst of it but central and other areas need to keep a lookout.
...NORTHEAST...
BOTH SHEAR AND FORCING FOR ASCENT ARE FORECAST TO STRENGTHEN AND
SUPPORT INCREASINGLY ORGANIZED TSTMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPPER
TROUGH AND WEAK SURFACE LOW DEVELOPING ACROSS NY DURING THE DAY.
SUFFICIENT DESTABILIZATION IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR FROM NERN PA AND NRN
NJ ACROSS THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY...AND POSSIBLY INTO SWRN NEW
ENGLAND...FOR A FEW SEVERE STORMS. IN ADDITION TO HAIL AND SOME
DAMAGING WIND POTENTIAL...GREATER LOW LEVEL SHEAR NEAR THE SURFACE
LOW WOULD ENHANCE THE POSSIBILITY OF A TORNADO OR TWO IF STRONGER
DESTABILIZATION CAN OCCUR COINCIDENT WITH THE PASSAGE OF THE LOW.

So basically if the sun pokes through or stays out during lunch time and early afternoon then air will destabilize and help create Tornadoes better.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM

Not that this makes severe storms "better", but a small "silver lining" is this unstable weather in general is keeping us from getting a 2nd "100+ heat wave" this weekend (NWS says only Baltimore on south now, Weather Channel is saying Philly on south.......I think NWS will be right as Philadelphia area had a lot of storms yesterday and this morning).

"Only" around 90 give or take a couple of degrees in through the weekend in NYC metro and the rest of non-coastal CT (coastal CT up through Boston may not even see 90 and the same for northern New England and upstate NY north of the mid-Hudson valley).

Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 AM

2 things to discuss...

1. If you dont want major severe storms today hope the clouds stay put. Cloudy right now. If the sun comes out for even just 3 hours straight it could get ugly.

2. Learned something new today and quite surprising. Using the coastline from Virginia to Maine these are all the storms that have impacted and made landfalls. Apparently CT is in the line of fire. I still think we're going to get hit with a hurricane this year.

Last picture is with Storm Name, Date of Landfall, Landfall State, Wind Speed. Sorted by Month. On the list they put it as NY instead of CT.

Closeup:

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
2 things to discuss...

1. If you dont want major severe storms today hope the clouds stay put. Cloudy right now. If the sun comes out for even just 3 hours straight it could get ugly.

2. Learned something new today and quite surprising. Using the coastline from Virginia to Maine these are all the storms that have impacted and made landfalls. Apparently CT is in the line of fire. I still think we're going to get hit with a hurricane this year.

Last picture is with Storm Name, Date of Landfall, Landfall State, Wind Speed. Sorted by Month. On the list they put it as NY instead of CT.

Closeup:

NOTE: Old Farmers Almanac (though I don't buy into them much, they didn't predict the "heat wave" last weekend right, though it seems to have this weekend on target except for the Cape Cod/Maine trop storm landfall) actually is predicting a possible Mid-Atlantic hurricane landfall on Sept 1-3 (preceded by "late" 100 deg weather......the 1940s and 50s had a lot of late August/early Sept heat waves). Still a tropical storm for New England?

Northeast U.S. Long Range Weather Forecast | Farmers' Almanac

By the way, I think that map only goes up to the early-1990s or something. Where is Bertha? (1996, center went right over NYC and southwest CT as a moderate-strong Tropical Storm). Or Charlie? (landfall on western LI in 2004 as a low end trop storm)
And certainly Floyd in 1999?

Also, I think they're listing the state of FIRST landfall (which may be why the storms I mention aren't up there, because they landfalled previously in another part of the US?). Most of CT is blocked by LI in terms of a hurricane/trop storm coming from the sea so of course the "first" landfall would be in NY. Gloria's a good example, though it was still a hurricane when it hit CT. The only way a storm could have "first" landfall in CT is to track east of LI and then somehow turn west into the Sound.

By the way, look up Hurricane Juan in 2003. It never was near any land until hitting NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA as a Cat 2 hurricane.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 07-29-2011 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut