Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM

519 posts, read 582,706 times

Advertisements

Do I understand correctly: mil rate in Farmington is 25.24. Assessed value is 70 % of fair market value. So if you buy a $500,000 house, your assessed value is $350,000 and therefore your yearly property taxes are $8,834.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
That would be correct, but just because the house costs that much, doesn't mean that is what the town has it appraised at. could be more than $350,000 or less than..all that information is public so its only a phone call away to the town hall, but many municpalities have this information online

Old 06-06-2007, 06:35 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Sounds correct, but a lot depends on when the property was last assessed. Could be more or it could be less. Sometimes older homes get assessed less because of their age. Usually the real estate ads will give you the taxes. Here in CT we do not reassess everytime a home is sold. Some states do this, but we don't. Jay

Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Default Thank you for the replies...

One more question. If you buy a house where the taxes are artificially low relative to the tax formula, how quickly (how many years will it take) before you can expect property taxes to increase to the formula rate?

Reason I am asking is that I am seeing a lot of properties where the current stated tax levels appear to be half of what you would expect given asking prices.

Thanks again for any insights.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,183 times
AFAIK, there's a state law that mandates a property reassessment at least every ten years. It may be able to be done more frequently, but I'm not sure that anywhere in CT does due to costs. The mill rates are usually just increased in the interim.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
One more question. If you buy a house where the taxes are artificially low relative to the tax formula, how quickly (how many years will it take) before you can expect property taxes to increase to the formula rate?

Reason I am asking is that I am seeing a lot of properties where the current stated tax levels appear to be half of what you would expect given asking prices.

Thanks again for any insights.
It's a real sketchy scenario IMO. It's the way our politicians ended up back dooring each other. One side would raise a tax, the other would play the valuation game to keep it in check. It's been this way for decades.

What I think it sets us up for is a scenario you mentioned where IF the assessed went close to fair market most of us would be priced out of our homes due to taxes.

Now, do I think that will actually happen? No. Everyone is for the most part painfully aware that we can not and will not absorb higher taxes on our homes. It's a major hot button around here and if anything they are looking for ways to reduce the property tax burden. There would be a torch mob burning the town halls down if they did a large increase like that.

Taxes on that home you mentioned SHOULD be lower than 8K a year on average as the towns usually are, as you mentioned, very artificially low. My home is assesed about half of it's market value for instance.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,183 times
Quit a few cities have had relatively high property tax hikes after revaluation, somewhere in the order of 25% - 40%. And as hopping mad as people did get, no town halls were burned.
On the other hand, many smaller towns are against increasing their housing density which can lead to requiring more schools and services that in turn increases municipal revenue needs. Yet, more revenue is always needed, so continued development is usually more geared toward retail, elderly and lower density development. It's a real balancing act, with some towns either rejecting their school & municipal budgets over and over again, or others just biting the bullet and accepting the higher than inflation tax increases. It becomes an annual political football in many towns, and to some extent is dependent on state funding and local politics. I guess that one way to characterized it would be as "growing pains" for some towns, and "stagnation pains" for others.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Quit a few cities have had relatively high property tax hikes after revaluation, somewhere in the order of 25% - 40%. And as hopping mad as people did get, no town halls were burned.
What towns did this recently happen in? I'm genuinely curious.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:32 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,388 times
Everyone got re-evaluated last year in CT and this years tax bills are getting increased. The re-evaluation is 5 years now. Its been the talk of the state in local papers and what not.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
What towns did this recently happen in? I'm genuinely curious.
Happened up in Oxford and Middlebury, I think New Milford had that problem as well.

The people in Oxford can't complain too much though, they approved a $60m high school yet turn their backs on businesses that want to come in because they want to keep the town "rural."

I know the taxes in that town are completely driving the middle-class out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut