Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,208,051 times

Advertisements

But again, we are moving to have the family closer. My Dad died a few years ago and my Mom lives in Derby alone and my younger sis lives in Shelton with her husband. But thanks anyway.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-29-2010 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Deleted reference to deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 AM

So as luck would have it,we had to run to Derby last night to sign some last minute papers. We were in Scarsdale at the time. Got on the Hutch at 5:46, smooth sailing until White Plains with just a SLIGHT traffic delay. Got on the Merritt and smooth(65 mph) all the way to exit 31. Not a parking lot....just stop and go....then speed up for a bit then slow up again. Was like that through exit 41.....then it was just open and smooth sailing(65-70 mph) until Exit 52(where I had to get off). 31-41 was a little annoying at times but it flowed,it wasnt a parking lot. Im sure some days will be better/worse. All in all,I arrived at our destination at 6:55. No biggie. I will try a few more runs anyway.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 AM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
GM, I wish you posted this when I was on the boards more a couple of months ago.

I currently go 3-4 days/week "reverse commute" from the Mt. Vernon/New Rochelle area to the Bridgeport area and it usually takes me 45 minutes or so. But that's with NO traffic (typical day is about 7:45-3:45, so I beat out the traffic going north on the Hutch Parkway). But I usually see most of the "other way" full of traffic, so it's probably not a good commute.

I hear you on the costs, in Westchester even places like Mt. Vernon and Yonkers (and bad parts of town to boot) have rents and housing prices that in most parts of the country would be the "rich" end of town

Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 PM

59 posts, read 100,145 times
Its not far in mileage but traffic will have you coming home with a headache EVERY DAY.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyshire View Post
Its not far in mileage but traffic will have you coming home with a headache EVERY DAY.
Ive been doing ok with the traffic coming home. Sometimes an hour...sometimes 1:15. No huge deal. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes its fine. I also dont start heading to CT until around 6:00-6:30 anyway.The area we live in now and the quiet neighborhood compared to where we moved from makes it all worth it.
Your user name......Derbyshire......is that by any chance named after the Derbyshire townhouse complex?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Ive been doing ok with the traffic coming home. Sometimes an hour...sometimes 1:15. No huge deal. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes its fine. I also dont start heading to CT until around 6:00-6:30 anyway.The area we live in now and the quiet neighborhood compared to where we moved from makes it all worth it.
Your user name......Derbyshire......is that by any chance named after the Derbyshire townhouse complex?
Yes!! We lived there until 3 years ago when our family expanded we moved one street up the hill into a house. Our neighborhood is gorgeous but we are not impressed wih the school system here.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM

I ask because we looked at a few townhomes (in Derbyshire) for sale a few months ago. Great scenic neighborhood.The homes around there are nice. We wound up buying an awesome townhome called Orangewood over on Shagbark Drive.....right down the street.Nice and quiet, just what were looking for. School system does not affect me and my wife (no kids or plans to have any). But if you have kids, I can understand that.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

Yes its such a nice area of Derby. Unfortunately I don't see great things for Derby's future because many of the people are moving from the slums of Bridgeport. Shootings and stabbings are becoming more common here. All of the families are moving out as their kids approach middle school grades to Oxford, Orange and towns where a parent doesn't have to worry about the kids riding bikes until dusk. For someone without kids Derby is good though! I'm sorry about your Dad. But welcome to CT!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 PM

[quote=derbyshire;15068700]Yes its such a nice area of Derby. Unfortunately I don't see great things for Derby's future because many of the people are moving from the slums of Bridgeport. Shootings and stabbings are becoming more common here.

It seems safe where we are..........Anything we need to know???

Old 07-16-2010, 01:21 PM

There was a shooting on Hawkins Street where an innocent person was hit. This happened last month. More recently there was a stabbing also on Hawkins just one block up from the shooting. They are pretty confined to one area but if this is the sort of crap my kids will be exposed to as they attend school with kids from these neighborhoods, I will not have it. There was also a shooting earlier this yr along Elm off of 34.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut