Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,205,547 times

Advertisements

Hi all.New here...... My wife and I are moving from New York and buying a house in Derby and will be commuting to Harrison/White Plains area via the Merritt. My family lives in Derby and I am on the Merritt on the weekends quite a bit. Nice,fast run. People say the traffic can be bad but I want the lowdown from people on here. I can handle a 50 minute commute to our jobs no problem but want a heads up on the traffic as far as good times/bad times. We would be leaving our home in the morning around 6:20-6:30. Coming home would be leaving work at like 6:00 and hitting the parkway. I'm a realist.....I'm not expecting no trafiic days......but can someone give me a rundown prime driving times/bad traffic times......just be honest but dont be a doomsayer.. I appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
If you'll be leaving Derby at about 6:20 AM you'll probably beat much of the traffic. There will be days when you won't hit much, but then there will be days that it will be pretty tough. I know quite a few people who commute to Norwalk and Stamford from Seymour so you won't be alone in the commute, unfortunately.

I'd suggest for you to take a few days and do a few dry runs. That's the only way you can tell what it'll be like.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,325 times
i came across terrible traffic at a most unexpected time coming back from WP one time.. it was the Friday BEFORE memorial day, i left WP at 2:30 in the afternoon and the Merritt was a parking lot. took me like 4 hours to get home to Meriden that day and traffic didnt clear up until a few miles before that.. absolutely ridiculous.
maybe that's normal for weekend traffic but 2:30 in the afternoon? i suggest taking the IBus from Stamford into WP. you'll still get traffic on 95 but at least you're not driving.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Hi all.New here...... My wife and I are moving from New York and buying a house in Derby and will be commuting to Harrison/White Plains area via the Merritt. My family lives in Derby and I am on the Merritt on the weekends quite a bit. Nice,fast run. People say the traffic can be bad but I want the lowdown from people on here. I can handle a 50 minute commute to our jobs no problem but want a heads up on the traffic as far as good times/bad times. We would be leaving our home in the morning around 6:20-6:30. Coming home would be leaving work at like 6:00 and hitting the parkway. I'm a realist.....I'm not expecting no trafiic days......but can someone give me a rundown prime driving times/bad traffic times......just be honest but dont be a doomsayer.. I appreciate any input.
I am assuming you have received negative feedback from friends, family, coworkers etc. about your new commute as this is your first post on here.

Since you already know New York traffic, I am sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

I doubt you will have many days of a 50 minute commute from those two points. Bridgeport to Stamford would be about a 50 minute average commute.

Peak travel times are 6:00 - 9:00 am southbound and 3:00-6:00 pm northbound.

As long as you are someone that doesn't get frustrated easily, or suffer from road rage, you won't have a problem. Personally, I could never do it.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
i came across terrible traffic at a most unexpected time coming back from WP one time.. it was the Friday BEFORE memorial day, i left WP at 2:30 in the afternoon and the Merritt was a parking lot. took me like 4 hours to get home to Meriden that day and traffic didnt clear up until a few miles before that.. absolutely ridiculous.
maybe that's normal for weekend traffic but 2:30 in the afternoon? i suggest taking the IBus from Stamford into WP. you'll still get traffic on 95 but at least you're not driving.
Not so unexpected when you figure that lots of city folks spend the whole week or weekend as a vacation around Memorial day. The northeast bound traffic is always terrible once you get to summer weekends. Plus some companies close early on Fridays so the time for driving starts earlier.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I am assuming you have received negative feedback from friends, family, coworkers etc. about your new commute as this is your first post on here.

Since you already know New York traffic, I am sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

I doubt you will have many days of a 50 minute commute from those two points. Bridgeport to Stamford would be about a 50 minute average commute.

Peak travel times are 6:00 - 9:00 am southbound and 3:00-6:00 pm northbound.

As long as you are someone that doesn't get frustrated easily, or suffer from road rage, you won't have a problem. Personally, I could never do it.
My sister says there is traffic depending on certain times. Some days better/worse than others. Im a pretty easy,calm person. I'll have to adjust my commute time if it gets bad. We are moving there to be near my mom who is 73 now.....plus my sister lives near there....plus finding anything affordable to live in in Westchester NY is unheard of. Unless a husband and wife are both making 6 figures,it aint happening. Would I love a short commute. Yes. But to have a nice ,affordable place to live near my family makes the commute sacrifice worth it.The place we are buying is nice and costs HALF of what you get here in NY and the taxes are HALF too. A comparable place in NY would run me $650,000 with taxes of $7900 +.......thats if your lucky.We may even switch jobs if the economy gets better and work in CT one day.
Any other traffic input? I'm taking it all in......Thanks by the way!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
My sister says there is traffic depending on certain times. Some days better/worse than others. Im a pretty easy,calm person. I'll have to adjust my commute time if it gets bad. We are moving there to be near my mom who is 73 now.....plus my sister lives near there....plus finding anything affordable to live in in Westchester NY is unheard of. Unless a husband and wife are both making 6 figures,it aint happening. Would I love a short commute. Yes. But to have a nice ,affordable place to live near my family makes the commute sacrifice worth it.The place we are buying is nice and costs HALF of what you get here in NY and the taxes are HALF too. A comparable place in NY would run me $650,000 with taxes of $7900 +.......thats if your lucky.We may even switch jobs if the economy gets better and work in CT one day.
Any other traffic input? I'm taking it all in......Thanks by the way!
You won't be the only NYer looking to Ansonia and Derby for cheaper cost of living. That is primarily why traffic has increased so much on RT 8 and the Merritt.

As your sister said, it depends on the day. Some are worse than others.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
If I am not mistaken, Derby to White Plains is about 50 miles so you having a 50 minute commute, even in off peak hours, would be difficult. You should figure at least an hour and add up to 30 minutes during rush hour (maybe more). It definitely is not a commute I would want to make. Jay

Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Not so unexpected when you figure that lots of city folks spend the whole week or weekend as a vacation around Memorial day. The northeast bound traffic is always terrible once you get to summer weekends. Plus some companies close early on Fridays so the time for driving starts earlier.
in case it makes a difference, i meant to say it was the friday of the weekend before memorial day weekend not the friday of memorial day weekend. but i get your point.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If I am not mistaken, Derby to White Plains is about 50 miles so you having a 50 minute commute, even in off peak hours, would be difficult. You should figure at least an hour and add up to 30 minutes during rush hour (maybe more). It definitely is not a commute I would want to make. Jay
It depends. On the weekends(no traffic), I've done it in 45-49 minutes from Mt Vernon NY to Exit 52......doing 70-80 of course...... I know it will be longer with commuter traffic.

Is it my dream commute? Nope.......but again, the living situation is more important right now. By the way, How come the Merrit was never widened or are there future plans to do so? NY has done it on a few of their parkways with great success. Are there any plans to do so? It obviously needs something...more people,more lanes......I thought Obama was supposed to use money for infrastructure and parkways/highways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut