Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 AM

21 posts, read 64,175 times

Advertisements

Hi. Just wanted to throw my two cents in and see what people were saying about Westlake after the story in the news yesterday. I had a discussion and disagreement with the moderator here, Jay, awhile back about Westlake and my feeling is stronger than ever.

Westlake is outwardly pleasing, some condos even beautiful, but please think twice about moving there. When it was built it was geared toward young people and families. I knew several people who lived there and loved it. Over the years the outside has stayed the same (very pretty) but it is NOT a place I would ever recommend. It borders on dangerous. Just look at the local papers today. There are many car break-ins. There is a dog-fighting ring there. I feel even more strongly about this than I did a few months ago when I first posted about it, so I wanted to come and warn people again. I hope the young couple that was asking about it took my advice and moved somewhere else. There are plenty of nice places in town. It's just not worth the risk to have a condo that looks nice from the outside and has a pool.

I noticed there are beautiful new apartments off Washington Street for rent. One and two bedroom apartments brand new with a pool and a fitness area. If you are set on buying this would not be for you, but if you are thinking of renting I would check it out. It's just past the Goodwill Plaza on the same side of the street. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM

112 posts, read 243,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree6199 View Post
Hi. Just wanted to throw my two cents in and see what people were saying about Westlake after the story in the news yesterday. I had a discussion and disagreement with the moderator here, Jay, awhile back about Westlake and my feeling is stronger than ever.

Westlake is outwardly pleasing, some condos even beautiful, but please think twice about moving there. When it was built it was geared toward young people and families. I knew several people who lived there and loved it. Over the years the outside has stayed the same (very pretty) but it is NOT a place I would ever recommend. It borders on dangerous. Just look at the local papers today. There are many car break-ins. There is a dog-fighting ring there. I feel even more strongly about this than I did a few months ago when I first posted about it, so I wanted to come and warn people again. I hope the young couple that was asking about it took my advice and moved somewhere else. There are plenty of nice places in town. It's just not worth the risk to have a condo that looks nice from the outside and has a pool.

I noticed there are beautiful new apartments off Washington Street for rent. One and two bedroom apartments brand new with a pool and a fitness area. If you are set on buying this would not be for you, but if you are thinking of renting I would check it out. It's just past the Goodwill Plaza on the same side of the street. Good luck to you.
I agree 100%. Some areas are nicer than others but a LOT of the areas are not safe in Westlake. Carriage crossing IMO is better than Trolley Crossing and what ever you do STAY AWAY FROM PEPPERMILL!!! Also, if you are still thinking about moving to the Westlake area take a drive around ALL of the complexes. There is one area (top of the hill I believe see pic below) that is very run down and looks more like a project (ghetto) more than anything else. Due to my circumstances in life I was raised in the projects so who am I to say...you have to do what you have to do to survive. That's another topic. But it seems like you don't need to go that route.

Inverness Ln Middletown, CT 06457

Also, what I have been told by realtors is to drive around the area at night and to call the local police dept and ask what they think of the area. I was actually looking to buy in Westlake around 6yrs ago...I called Middletown PD and asked what they thought. They told me as a single female it would be in my best interest NOT to move into the complex I was looking at. Oh and the traffic in Westlake can be a NIGHTMARE.

It really depends on you and your situation, how much you can afford, etc. And most condo's ARE electric heat so keep that in mind (and fees can be expensive depending on the complex). Also, looking for a place to stay for a few years is different than wanting a place to settle down in. If your young and dont mind some dangerous areas and are looking to sell or rent out in a few years then go for it. If you are looking into settling down I would suggest trying some of the outlying towns that border Middletown/Cromwell to buy a condo. They are generally more pricey and like I said it depends on your circumstance.

I do have to disagree with the apartments off of Washington Street. Last time I was around Washington St is wasnt a very nice area. Unless they have cleaned it up like they have with Downtown????

Oh...and here are more of those run down areas in Westlake, one in Afton Terrace and one on Braeburn Lane:

Last edited by tryingtomakeitinCT; 05-26-2010 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I COMPLETELY disagree with the above two posts. West Lake is NOT an unsafe area by any stretch of the imagination. It is a series of apartment and condo complexes that offer a wide range of housing options. Thousands of people live in this area so there is bound to be a problem every so often. Yesterday's incident was one of the few that happen ever so often. If your criteria for safety is for nothing to ever happen then you are going to have to move to the middle of no where to get that. To go a step further, would I let my wife and kids walk around there at night? Yes, without a concern. Jay

Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,667 times
i don't agree either. i've been here 3 years and never had my car broken into (although there have been incidents). yes, the housing on Inverness Ln is a bad neighborhood (in addition to the houses being kinda goofy looking) but most of the area is very nice. on top of that, i live in the building right next to the one where Monday's incident took place and there was no danger to us spectators in any way. it was an isolated incident that involved a mentally disturbed man who unfortunately had an emotional breakdown. he had a wife and kids and recently lost his job. apparently the stress was just too much for him - poor guy. could happen anywhere. there was no guns or other weapons involved other than the taser the cops used but that's a different story given the guy had a heart problem and died after being taken to the hospital.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Carriage crossing IMO is better than Trolley Crossing.
What's your criteria? I don't know if everyone would agree especially if you're in one of the Carriage Crossing units close to I-91.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Are you kidding me, tryingtomakeit??? Those houses you posted pics of aren't projects!!! They are privately owned homes. There is a homeowners association. I know all this because I owned one for 10 years, started my family there, and made a bundle of money on the sale of the place! Sheesh. The majority of people there are hardworking, usually first-time, homeowners.

It isn't pretty, but looks aren't everything-we never had any problems, outside of typical stuff like noise in the summer, and occasional garbage piles (city is funny about bulky waste pickup there). We never had any problems with our vehicles or property being bothered. We didn't get anything stolen until we moved to expensive Chestnut Hill, then I had my car broken into. And now that we live outside Westlake (still in the westfield area) my kid's bike was stolen. So there ya go!

Westlake is fine. It's a decent place to be. Good location, mostly good housing. You are living around other people so you do get other-people stuff, like noise and petty thefts. You get that anywhere.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:35 AM

112 posts, read 243,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Are you kidding me, tryingtomakeit??? Those houses you posted pics of aren't projects!!! They are privately owned homes. There is a homeowners association. I know all this because I owned one for 10 years, started my family there, and made a bundle of money on the sale of the place! Sheesh. The majority of people there are hardworking, usually first-time, homeowners.
I never said they were projects...I said they looked like the projects. Also, they are on the market for under $90k. I've also been up in that area when I was looking to buy in Westlake myself. So, not sure when you were last there. Things may have changed.

As for the safety of Westlake, well there are many conflicting opinions regarding that. Like I had said, it's always good to call the local PD and get their opinion and actual facts regarding safety.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post

It isn't pretty, but looks aren't everything-we never had any problems, outside of typical stuff like noise in the summer, and occasional garbage piles (city is funny about bulky waste pickup there). We never had any problems with our vehicles or property being bothered. We didn't get anything stolen until we moved to expensive Chestnut Hill, then I had my car broken into. And now that we live outside Westlake (still in the westfield area) my kid's bike was stolen. So there ya go!

Westlake is fine. It's a decent place to be. Good location, mostly good housing. You are living around other people so you do get other-people stuff, like noise and petty thefts. You get that anywhere.
I agree with you. Those homes may not be stylish by today's standards but they are still decent affordable homes owned by hardworking people. I know people that lived there too and there were no issues more than you would find in any other middleclass neighborhood. Jay

Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
I never said they were projects...I said they looked like the projects. Also, they are on the market for under $90k. I've also been up in that area when I was looking to buy in Westlake myself. So, not sure when you were last there. Things may have changed.

As for the safety of Westlake, well there are many conflicting opinions regarding that. Like I had said, it's always good to call the local PD and get their opinion and actual facts regarding safety.
I have been up in that area and things have not changed in the 20 plus years that I have been there. Yes, things have got older but they are still decently maintained. As for the homes you are showing, they are most likely foreclosures or shortsales at those prices. Homes in that neighborhood generally sell for $130k and up depending on condition and location.

As for safety, are there regular shootings there? Are there muggings? Are a lot of cars broken into or stolen? The answer to these are NO. Does some of this happen? On occasion but it is not part of what goes on everyday. As I said I would certainly let my family walk around there without concern. Jay

Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 22,453 times
Well I'm still looking. Does anyone have any feedabck on the Condo building at 1 Russell St in Middletown? Thanks for any help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut