Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

I live in a very quiet rural area well off the road. It seems to me the older I get the more annoyed I am with noise. Every once in a while some hillbilly will drive down the road in a loud pickup truck and I can hear it inside my house. These idiots either have "custom exhaust systems" (aka I want everyone to hear me pipes) or they have just lost their exhaust and not bothered to fix it.

It isn't so bad in the summer time because the trees have leaves on them and the air conditioner is running. It is really bad in the fall/winter/spring when there is no "background noise".

I would like to buy either a "white noise" machine or some sort of device that would produce background noise to mask the intrusions.

My desire is that it be loud enough to keep me from hearing the vehicles but not annoying. I would kind of like multiple sound options such as "thunderstorms", "ocean waves" ect.....

Can anyone make a solid suggestion? I have tried the "review" sites but suspect they are promoting a particular brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Do you have a smartphone? There's an app for that.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do you have a smartphone? There's an app for that.
Probably one for PCs too.

Earplugs are great for the original poster's problem. (We have a teenager near us with a new drum kit.)

Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
google white noise machine. you'll get articles, actual wnm you can buy, and reviews.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
LOL! I'm a lot more sensitive in sleep than that. We have a stand alone Hepa air filter that blocks a lot of the background noise, like birds. We built 300' from the road on purpose. Amazingly, the rare "boom boom" car can still be heard going by.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
We've had a couple of Homedics in the past and they worked well, but their longevity is iffy.

You can do what I do now; wear a CPAP.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:13 PM

296 posts, read 413,790 times
I bought a Sound Screen 980A a couple years ago. This is a little white cylinder I can leave on all the time. I sleep days. Neighbors have loud kids. Ridiculous train whistle in area. I put 3" thick foam insulation over my window also.

Do I want to leave my computer on all the time? No thank you. (phone app? forget it.)

Do I want to wear ear plugs? No thank you. Just see how long you can stand them in bed.

This machine has a constant "whish" that has an adjustable tone. I occasionally use a thunderstorm or nature sound track on the computer because I find it soothing, but the constant swish is better for sleep.

I won't tell you to go google sound machines ..... You asked for a solid suggestion. I recommend this for it's effective sound and it's durability.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 AM

939 posts, read 788,580 times
Just get an adjustable speed fan, window (box) or pedestal w/remote if possible, and place as close to your favorite resting place as you can is best. Just place the fan closer to your ears and direct the air flow away from you if too breezy in the winter.
Less reliable is tuning in a radio between stations, but that fluctuates between white noise, silence, and picking up a station in the backround. An old fashioned TV set that doesn't have a timer, or antenna, or one just tuned in to the no-station/station with the snow. Just set the brightness as low as you can.
Now is about the best time to buy the fan though, before the stores pull them for winter items and you'll have to buy online.

Last edited by noregon98; 09-07-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 AM

531 posts, read 758,727 times
Please consult this with your doctor first.

I do not believe it is wise to do this. Any device loud enough to block the noise might hurt your health.

Another option is to wear active noise canceling headphone which might or might not be comfotable.

I have one --> "Philips Noise-Canceling Earbuds" from amazon years ago for around $15.

I used it when I am in a airplane. It works pretty well cutting down the constant jet engine noise and still can hear stewardess's voice. Have to remove the earbuds in order to understand what she is speaking.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM

36 posts, read 72,356 times
I use an old boom box, I removed the FM antenna completely, and tune it off any FM stations. Depending on your area, say if you're in a major metropolitan area sometimes you have to pull the wire lead off connecting the circuit board and antenna, disassembling a boom box isn't as easy as it looks, so you definitely want to get one from a thrift store/garage sale, or one you never use and don't care if you break it in the process. Some rod antennas can be removed from their base, usually with a small phillips screwdriver.

I turn down the treble just a bit. Just think waterfall!

Oh I live by a major Interstate and a toll road, both can be seen from the back window so
constant traffic noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics