Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I actually went through with a cancellation last summer only to have to call back later in the day and undo my cancellation. I basically went as far as I could in this conversation without actually saying to cancel it. I asked her how long after I cancel can I get new customer deals. I can try canceling and see what they say. I cant really cancel without another service, my wife would be pissed.
My worst case scenario was having to cancel and resign up a few weeks later on a promotional plan. We have an alternative service (don't like to have all our eggs in one basket).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:26 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Can you provide details on when CD modifies capitalization? I would like to replicate it as I've never seen that behavior.
When I've typed a few words in upper case and it dropped it to lower case when I hit Reply or created a new thread. It doesn't happen with single words.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My worst case scenario was having to cancel and resign up a few weeks later on a promotional plan. We have an alternative service (don't like to have all our eggs in one basket).

For Comcast, they won't let you sign up as a new customer if you were a customer less than 3 months ago (could be 6). I'll check with them today ... I want to get their free-ipad mini deal if I'm going to pay the same rate.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
For Comcast, they won't let you sign up as a new customer if you were a customer less than 3 months ago (could be 6). I'll check with them today ... I want to get their free-ipad mini deal if I'm going to pay the same rate.
You're not supposed to but you can do it. Wait a few weeks and resign up. It works... at least from their website.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM

lol, I called the Comcast "Retention Dept" -- the number you call to disconnect service-- and they dropped my rate $30/month. But no ipad mini. Rats.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
lol, I called the Comcast "Retention Dept" -- the number you call to disconnect service-- and they dropped my rate $30/month. But no ipad mini. Rats.
Expecting an iPad mini is just greedy.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
they dropped it to 30 or by 30? id imagine someone with a triple or double play type package would have more opportunity for discounts. do you have other internet options?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they dropped it to 30 or by 30? id imagine someone with a triple or double play type package would have more opportunity for discounts. do you have other internet options?

They dropped my Triple Play from 170 to 140 and boost speed from 25/5 to 50/10. Only other option is ATT DSL.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
They dropped my Triple Play from 170 to 140 and boost speed from 25/5 to 50/10. Only other option is ATT DSL.
gotcha. ive looked into switching to comcast double/triple play to save a few bucks but it never works out because directv is always willing to throw in enough discounts to keep me there.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Cables are being replaced all across the country. Most are replaced due to age, being pourus, data leakage, packet losses and db loss. If a cable has any of those issues and is replaced then info will be able to move more smoothly and faster through the new cable. Thus speed increases and DOCSIS 3.0 is needed to handle the increased data flow. If the server sees a DOCSIS 2.0, then the server will roll back the signal. Also I anyone has old cables in use in their homes (crawl spaces, attics, from outlet to modem, etc) they should be replaced about every decade since they are made to a much lower standard. Also advise router be upgraded to N type. A modem/router combo ban be rented from Comcast so when technology changes so does the modem with no additional charge than the normal monthly rental fee. If the OP has a problem with the cost of purchase, then rent it for about $8/mo.
I'll repeat again what I said before since you didn't seem to get it. This letter had nothing to do with recently upgraded cables. Comcast replaced their copper with fiber optics in NJ over a decade ago (2003, I believe). The only copper that exists these days is from the node outside the home(s) to the interior of the home. The new nodes can calibrate a DOCSIS 3.0 signal on even the oldest copper cables (in NJ, current cables date back to the 70s) since they are typically less than 100ft in distance. If there's something wrong with the cables (outside of the home) Comcast will replace them... but it's unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics