Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 09:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
We got rid of our landline years ago and bundled phone/voip with our cable & internet, but want to cut the cable cord.

So, I've been waffling between some sort of voip or just get a cell phone and port our current phone number to it.

The issues I have with the cell phone is I can't have multiple handsets in different rooms, and I have yet to find a cell phone (I have an Android and the rest of the family have current gen of iphones) that doesn't sound like the caller is talking from the bottom of a metal storage drum.

And if I go with another voip approach like Ooma, I'm tying my phone reliability to my internet provider which isn't the most reliable.
There are phone systems that have "Link2Cell", where you place your cell phone near the base station and it connects via Bluetooth, then you use your cell connection while using the wireless handsets all around the house.

Here is one:
https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Exp.../dp/B071X94JQ4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,228,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
There are phone systems that have "Link2Cell", where you place your cell phone near the base station and it connects via Bluetooth, then you use your cell connection while using the wireless handsets all around the house.

Here is one:
Sweet! And thanks!

Old 03-06-2020, 09:57 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:

Here is one:
Sadly, it only works, WHEN you place your cell phone next to it.
Or does it work on its own also, when you connect it to a hard-line outside phone line (landline)

To me, when used as an "extension" of your cell phone, it is not as good as having the cell phone physically with you (anywhere you are!). You 'only' have access to your cell phone when you are near an extension of that regular phone.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:26 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
My calls are crsytal clear from my Android to my wife's iPhone. No 'bottom of a barrel' reverb.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:27 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,228,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Or does it work on its own also, when you connect it to a hard-line outside phone line (landline)

To me, when used as an "extension" of your cell phone, it is not as good as having the cell phone physically with you (anywhere you are!). You 'only' have access to your cell phone when you are near an extension of that regular phone.
That's exactly how I would use it: cell phone would ALWAYS be next to the base handset, then others would be dispersed around the house - like I have now with my voip set up.

The cell phone would be purposely bought to port my existing phone number over. So, if I have the handsets around the house, there's no need to ever move the cell phone.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
There are several advantages to this feature:
(1) You can recharge your cell phone when you get home in the evening and avoid the problem of recharging your phone in one portion of the house and having to answer your calls in another portion of the home.
(2) You may have poor reception to cell signals in the basement
(3) You can also add a free Google Voice number to the system in case you forget/break/lose your cell phone. You can still make phone calls. Google Voice numbers are convenient when you don't want to give away your cell phone number to people who will misuse your phone number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yes you can usually connect one or two cell phones and a landline (which could be Google Voice). You need the $50 Obihai adapter to use free Google Voice service.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

I have a landline and have no intention of getting rid of it.

Landlines tend to have better connections than cells. Landlines are physically easier to use than cells. Landlines don't get lost. Landlines don't need to be replaced as cells often do. Landlines are perfect for serious (or leisurely) calls at home when you want to give someone your full attention.

And, by the way, cell phones didn't work in NY on 9/11.

Let your mother have her landline.
I agree, let your mother have her landline phone.

Landlines have much better reception and call quality. And it's much easier to hear and speak on landlines because there is NO fading in and out which so many cellphones have which is very annoying and ruins calls.

The very annoying fading in and out of so many cellphones is reason enough to keep one's landline.

(I know some people will claim their cellphone (or iPhone for those who have an iPhone) never fades in and out)

When one speaks of connections, one is not speaking of 'being dropped' while speaking.
One is referring to the great reception and call quality - which is clear and easy to hear.

I agree landlines are physically easier to use than cellphones.

And agree landlines are perfect for serious or leisurely calls at home when you want to give someone your full attention.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Landlines have much better reception and call quality. And it's much easier to hear and speak on landlines because there is NO fading in and out which so many cellphones have which is very annoying and ruins calls.
I have been using Google Voice wifi on cell phones (I don't use the cell towers, just wifi) for 5 years. I thought that it would be better to have the flexibility to use it in public where there is free wifi, plus I could receive texts and Google Voice does an automated translation of voice mail to text (doesn't work well with accents).

But just last month I purchased an Obihai (Polycom) adapter so that I could talk on a 30 year old analog phone. The sound quality is so much better.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Why do you even need a landline phone? I haven't have a landline phone in over 8 years. Yes, a POTS line can be more reliable than a mobile phone but having a stable internet connection is more important than a POTS line. You can easily install phone apps on the PC to communicate with people. All of my relatives use Whatsapp or Line to communicate instead of phone number.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:26 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
I ditched the land line 11 years ago. I have been exclusively on cell phone since. If someone needs me, they have my cell number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics