Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:18 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
I'm sorry. I refuse to carry my phone around the house while I am at home. I walk around in comfortable clothes, no waist pack at home. Is your phone with you in the shower? Being glued to a phone is just not my bag, dudes.

Often, my phone is plugged in my bedroom to be charged. Yes, my refurbished Moto E4 Tello Android 7.1.1 phone has a microSD slot inside and to my liking, a battery that can actually be replaced by me at home. The back even snaps off. At Walmart my phone is in my waste pack. I still have my SanDisk clipped to my collar to listen to corded headset music in the store. No Bluetooth headset. Another piece of crap that has to be charged periodically. My phone might come out at Walmart once in a blue moon to use the calculator app to compare the unit prices on toilet paper.
You insist on carrying it around, who does that? You put it in your pocket or use a phone holder. That is if you must have it with you.

Otherwise, you set it down on the couch or on the table and it keeps playing to your stereo, boombox or even your earphones if you are within 30 feet of it. My wife walks around the house with her bluetooth headset on but her phone stays in one place, usually on the counter in the kitchen.

Isn't your SanDisk another piece of crap you have to recharge as well? Does it have a perpetual battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 11:15 PM

388 posts, read 327,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You insist on carrying it around, who does that? You put it in your pocket or use a phone holder. That is if you must have it with you.

Otherwise, you set it down on the couch or on the table and it keeps playing to your stereo, boombox or even your earphones if you are within 30 feet of it. My wife walks around the house with her bluetooth headset on but her phone stays in one place, usually on the counter in the kitchen.

Isn't your SanDisk another piece of crap you have to recharge as well? Does it have a perpetual battery?
no, I don't carry the phone around everywhere. I never said did. That's what I would hate to do. If I go out of the house, the phone is zipped up in my fanny pack.

I have a SanDisk hooked up to the boombox in the kitchen via a 3.5 mm audio cord. It's not a perfect solution but I get by with it. Yes, I might have to charge the SanDisk once a week.

If the "SanDisk" were integrated right into the boombox housing itself, there would be nothing to ever to unhook and recharge. The boombox runs off household current. It's plugged into the wall.

the trouble with most younger people these days is they are phone junkies
I'm not hip to the notion of a phone's being a do-it-all machine

I use my phone for voice calls, text and crunching numbers as a handheld calculator and that's it
I have an Uber app on it in case I ever need a ride which is extremely rare due to the reliability of my Toyota.
I haven't had an Uber ride in my life. I deplore public transportation especially transit buses and taxis.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 04-22-2020 at 11:25 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
the trouble with most younger people these days is they are phone junkies
I'm not hip to the notion of a phone's being a do-it-all machine
Hahaha..

I am not young, I'm approaching 60. I do happen to be in IT which gives me an sort of an advantage. I'm still old school in a lot of ways.

And whether you want to accept it or not, a SMARTphone is just that, emphasis on smart. It's actually a computer that you hold in your hand. So yeah, it can do a lot. It can't wash the dishes for you but as far as modern technology it can replace or work hand in hand with many other devices.

Keep using your Sandisk, whatever makes you happy but Sony or whatever company will not do what you ask because it doesn't make sense. They are not going to take a step back. The old technology will always be there. You can go back to it if you want.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:12 AM

388 posts, read 327,512 times
Quote:
Hahaha..

I am not young, I'm approaching 60. I do happen to be in IT which gives me an sort of an advantage. I'm still old school in a lot of ways.

And whether you want to accept it or not, a SMARTphone is just that, emphasis on smart. It's actually a computer that you hold in your hand. So yeah, it can do a lot. It can't wash the dishes for you but as far as modern technology it can replace or work hand in hand with many other devices.

Keep using your Sandisk, whatever makes you happy but Sony or whatever company will not do what you ask because it doesn't make sense. They are not going to take a step back. The old technology will always be there. You can go back to it if you want.
well, the way the electronics industry is doing things nowadays makes no sense to me either, I don't honestly
expect Sony or anybody else to give me the right time of day: I guess I will just have to try to find the consumer products that are the "least ridiculous" to me for now until something more to my liking comes along; no, I don't ever want to play a CD, 8-track, record or cassette for music again; I like the notion of audio files for music playback, I just dream of the most convenient and enjoyable way for me to exploit this technology

Sony already has taken a step back; they no longer even supply a remote control for one new boombox model they make even though one new model is a Bluetooth model. My 8-year-old Sony boombox does have a clicker. Other brands as Toshiba do offer clickers.

Why do I like remotes for boombox radios? It protects the radio from cosmetic damage. My 8-year-old Sony boombox has the WORD "POWER" painted right on the on/off button on top. I just noticed the other day that the print is starting to wear off this pushbutton so I decided to use my remote religiously to avoid touching the radio with my hands because the painted-on lettering is so fragile. Sony was too cheesy even back in 2012 to print the control function labels on its products more durably. At least they could have printed POWER off to the side of the push button instead of right on top of it. As a matter of fact, some of the pushbuttons DO have the labels off to the sides instead of right on the buttons. POWER is the most used button so go figure.

Not the same old solid SONY quality that used to be made in Japan. China crap like everything else.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
well, the way the electronics industry is doing things nowadays makes no sense to me either, I don't honestly
expect Sony or anybody else to give me the right time of day: I guess I will just have to try to find the consumer products that are the "least ridiculous" to me for now until something more to my liking comes along; no, I don't ever want to play a CD, 8-track, record or cassette for music again; I like the notion of audio files for music playback, I just dream of the most convenient and enjoyable way for me to exploit this technology

Sony already has taken a step back; they no longer even supply a remote control for one new boombox model they make even though one new model is a Bluetooth model. My 8-year-old Sony boombox does have a clicker. Other brands as Toshiba do offer clickers.

Why do I like remotes for boombox radios? It protects the radio from cosmetic damage. My 8-year-old Sony boombox has the WORD "POWER" painted right on the on/off button on top. I just noticed the other day that the print is starting to wear off this pushbutton so I decided to use my remote religiously to avoid touching the radio with my hands because the painted-on lettering is so fragile. Sony was too cheesy to print the control function labels on its products more durably. At least they could have printed POWER off to the side of the push button instead of right on top of it. As a matter of fact, some of the pushbuttons DO have the labels off to the sides instead of right on the buttons. POWER is the most used button so go figure.

Not the same old solid SONY quality that used to be made in Japan. China crap like everything else.
I understand you’re frustrated. Unfortunately unless tastes change there is little to no market for what you are looking for. Plus, you seem like the kind of person who buys once and wants it to last for decades, which isn’t representative of consumer electronics anymore.

Sony hasn’t been “Sony” for at least 20 years. They don’t innovate anymore except with smartphones and gaming consoles.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Disagree with that Sony still makes good stuff. Especially, kind of on topic here: audio devices.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/wal...yers/t/walkman

And yes, they sell cheaper ones:

Pretty innovative ones. Been eyeing that A40 for awhile just because I love music but hard to justify carrying 2 devices since my music is on my phone already.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree with that Sony still makes good stuff. Especially, kind of on topic here: audio devices.

Pretty innovative ones. Been eyeing that A40 for awhile just because I love music but hard to justify carrying 2 devices since my music is on my phone already.
I know you have money to burn but $3200 for a walkman? really? lol.

They are high resolution or whatever but they are still MP3s at 320k. Even with FLAC, that's a bit hard to justify.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
I know you have money to burn but $3200 for a walkman? really? lol.

They are high resolution or whatever but they are still MP3s at 320k. Even with FLAC, that's a bit hard to justify.
No, the second link has one for $219. Yea, $3,100. How many have they sold of that, I wonder?

Old 04-23-2020, 01:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Fair enough, I’ll amend my comment to include high end audio for innovation.

But they lost the consumer device war outside Japan a long time ago. I do own one Sony XBR LCD TV that I use for gaming, but that’s in big contrast to all the Trinitron monitors and tube TVs I owned over the years.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:

Why do I like remotes for boombox radios? It protects the radio from cosmetic damage. My 8-year-old Sony boombox has the WORD "POWER" painted right on the on/off button on top. I just noticed the other day that the print is starting to wear off this pushbutton so I decided to use my remote religiously to avoid touching the radio with my hands because the painted-on lettering is so fragile. Sony was too cheesy even back in 2012 to print the control function labels on its products more durably. At least they could have printed POWER off to the side of the push button instead of right on top of it. As a matter of fact, some of the pushbuttons DO have the labels off to the sides instead of right on the buttons. POWER is the most used button so go figure.

Problem with this (and I would know) is the letters and arrows start to wear off on the remote control so I started to use a popsicle stick to press the buttons and that seemed to solve that problem but now my wife is avoiding me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics