Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 12:44 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times

Advertisements

I have a house with built in speakers in several rooms. Pretty simple. I've been using old cell phones for audio, mostly just Pandora and NPR. My husband is addicted to Pandora. He won't let me get rid of it even though it's not the best music out there. I also use it in my Buick.

The problem with the phones is sometimes they get slow for no reason and have to be restarted. With the current phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) we have the strange problem of the volume going down and we have to turn it back up.

I'm considering something like a tablet or iPad to run this. I thought about Amazon Echo with display but there is no headphone jack to connect it to the home audio system. I'd rather pay for a good device, even a few hundred dollars, instead of a device I have to frequently restart.

(Also, I'm about to upgrade our home internet router & WIFI and I'm not sure the old cell phones I have will support newer WIFI encryption standards.) I'll know this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 05:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
So you have wired speakers going back to an amp, and audio plugs into the amp?

If you can afford it, look at the Sonos:Port. It’s what I use for my room speakers.

Actually, I use the Sonos:Connect, which is its precursor. You might be able to find this used/new old stock, but make sure if you go this route you get one newer than 2015.

You’d then use an app on your phone to play Pandora or any other service.

I’ve never had to restart/reboot it. Ever.

There are of course other options which might be cheaper. This is just what I use.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:01 AM

Yes that sounds correct. Pretty simple set up. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:07 AM

Also, if you have other sources to play (Amazon Prime Music, etc.) they would all be aggregated inside the Sonos app so you could search across them. I also have a SiriusXM Internet subscription (of which I only pay $30 for 6 months) that plays through Sonos as well, and via CarPlay in my car.

Where you might find a cheaper option is if you're only looking to duplicate exactly what you have.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:11 PM

112 posts, read 58,455 times
+1 for this suggestion, as this is what we do for our customers (I work for a large AV integrator) when newer streaming sources are desired over older items (iPods, FM radio, etc.).
Only thing I would suggest - if there is any chance that you would want to be able to listen to different things in different rooms at the same time, also consider looking at the Sonos Amp units. Individual pairs of speakers could be disconnected from your existing amplifier, and plugged into a Sonos Amp unit. This could allow for a Hers / His layout where you could listen to your own source. (The Amp unit can run more than one pair of speakers - from their website: "Amp can power two pairs of 8 Ohm nominal passive speakers when wired in parallel. All speakers must have the same impedance rating".).
The Sonos units get named for the rooms they feed, so you would select the room you're in and play your music without disturbing the other room/s.
Good luck.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
+1 for this suggestion, as this is what we do for our customers (I work for a large AV integrator) when newer streaming sources are desired over older items (iPods, FM radio, etc.).
Only thing I would suggest - if there is any chance that you would want to be able to listen to different things in different rooms at the same time, also consider looking at the Sonos Amp units. Individual pairs of speakers could be disconnected from your existing amplifier, and plugged into a Sonos Amp unit. This could allow for a Hers / His layout where you could listen to your own source. (The Amp unit can run more than one pair of speakers - from their website: "Amp can power two pairs of 8 Ohm nominal passive speakers when wired in parallel. All speakers must have the same impedance rating".).
The Sonos units get named for the rooms they feed, so you would select the room you're in and play your music without disturbing the other room/s.
Good luck.
What I have in my house are 8 or so pairs of speakers across the rooms on the main floor with impedance matching volume controls (house was like this when I bought it). I ended up using a Sonos:Connect that then outputs to a Crown amp sufficiently powerful to drive them all. No problems in 2 years so far.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:42 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Just to take the other side: an iPad is $329. Not a bad way to go here if your current system is good enough.

PS. Pandora's a very good app, don't 'apologize' for not using the BEST.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just to take the other side: an iPad is $329. Not a bad way to go here if your current system is good enough.

PS. Pandora's a very good app, don't 'apologize' for not using the BEST.
I like the price of an iPad or used iPhone. We just upgraded our wifi and some problems with our setup might be resolved.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I like the price of an iPad or used iPhone. We just upgraded our wifi and some problems with our setup might be resolved.
So you'd have an iPad or iPhone tethered to your amplifier? The newest iPhones don't have a headphone jack out, so you'd need to use some sort of dock or adapter. Make sure you use one that also has a power connection so you can charge the device.

Do you use that device for other things than playing Pandora or NPR?

Old 11-12-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Do you use that device for other things than playing Pandora or NPR?
No. I try to get my husband interested in Amazon music but he prefers Pandora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics