Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:35 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times

Advertisements

I can remember watching DVDs on my 22" CRT monitor. Setting the resolution to 720 x 540, and the refresh rate to 59.94 Hz. My first TV was a 32" 720p flat screen that I got from my sister. When I upgraded to a 50" 4k screen, I found that I was actually able to read the feeds scrolling at the bottom of the screen. I upgraded my DVD player to a 4k unit at the same time. Now I have a 65" 4k flat screen.

Seeing video in the proper aspect ratio is a combination of your settings, and the settings of the video. Here's a Slade video that has been properly "superscaled" to 4k:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0KroaJDfak
The Wizard of Oz has a nice 4k video, but that required a frame-by-frame restoration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 07:39 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yu nutz?

If people are distorted, you are doing it WRONG.

You can always change the aspect ration to 4:3 for old TV shows. Yes, it means having to adjust something and back again, but it is there if it bothers you that much.

Meanwhile, a lot of older shows are simply showing black bars on either side while keeping the original 4:3 format.

Everything is HD these days, unless you are only watching really old TV shows in their original broadcast formats and not upscaled or remastered.

I LOVE HD widescreen TV. It has to be a top 5 favorite aspect of life today. It is absolutley fantastic. NFL games have never been the same. I never used to be able to read the names or numbers on jerseys on old 4:3 analog TVs. Games looked terrible. I just didn't know different as far as how good they could look until HD flat screen came along.

Don't even start me on MOVIES.

As a die-hard movie buff with a nice small collection of 500 or so movies, there is NOTHING like a big HD flat screen. Life has never been the same. Movies are so bright and vivid and big and clear.

Yep, HD flat screen is easily a top 3-5 improvement of my life in the past 20 years or more. I LOVE big widescreen TV.
OP posted in 2008.
16 years ago, it didn't really take a Luddite to point out the shortcomings and weak value propositions vs our current day tech offerings.

OP has adapted and embraced today's tech:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Can’t believe this ancient thread has been resurrected. Clearly the technology has been perfected and we all figured out how to use it. No one would want to go back to tube tvs. lol

Old 03-01-2024, 08:49 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,093,349 times
I will join the minority. I definitely wish I still had my old style TV. Set it on any flat surface along the side of any room in the house. Let it be a condensed visual that is only a small part of your actual life. Know that the presentation of news is highly regulated for accuracy. TV announcers are not presented as physically larger and more important or valuable than what they introduce.

At first the idea of flat screens was great. They were moving versions of framed artwork on the walls. But eventually the programming wasn’t about visual short stories and instructional material. The ability to see lifesized announcers and show hosts meant that most of the show time was about the opinionated “talking heads” who were life sized in our main living space instead of being voices that earlier were more important than the depicted.

Of course sporting events show really best on big flat screens. But there the event is what is emphasized not the dramatic announcer person.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:41 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Weird take to me. "I don't like big TVC's because..the people are life sized?!? Really?

Old 03-01-2024, 01:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I will join the minority. I definitely wish I still had my old style TV. Set it on any flat surface along the side of any room in the house. Let it be a condensed visual that is only a small part of your actual life. Know that the presentation of news is highly regulated for accuracy. TV announcers are not presented as physically larger and more important or valuable than what they introduce.

At first the idea of flat screens was great. They were moving versions of framed artwork on the walls. But eventually the programming wasn’t about visual short stories and instructional material. The ability to see lifesized announcers and show hosts meant that most of the show time was about the opinionated “talking heads” who were life sized in our main living space instead of being voices that earlier were more important than the depicted.

Of course sporting events show really best on big flat screens. But there the event is what is emphasized not the dramatic announcer person.
Well, you're going to catch the usual ration of you know what from those who just can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't want to fully commit to the constant intake of whatever dreck the powers that be decide we should choke down. I like your viewpoint of keeping the nastiness of TeeVee limited to a small scale, both in size and in time. Yes, if there's a nuclear war I want to be able to know what's going on; but I just can't get on board with becoming Mrs. Montag, not just yet.

Coconut cream pie is a good thing, taken one slice at a time, maybe a slice once a month or so. But the pop-culture-obsessed basically want to hoover down a couple a day, and anyone who counsels moderation in intake gets derided as "a Luddite" (these people have no idea what the term actually means) or accused of having personality disorders, just because they don't want to GET WITH THE PROGRAM and CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME!!!!

Old 03-01-2024, 02:28 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
And, there's something for everyone!

24" flat screen @ $74.99 for folks who need to minimize the fact they own a television!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6491295

Jeeze...
Around 1965, my Dad paid $400 + tax for a BIG 23" TV. Bragworthy stuff.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:22 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, there's something for everyone!

24" flat screen @ $74.99 for folks who need to minimize the fact they own a television!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6491295

Jeeze...
Around 1965, my Dad paid $400 + tax for a BIG 23" TV. Bragworthy stuff.
Back when you had to help the TV repairman load the TV into his van, especially if you had a console.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
How do people get angry about flat screens?

Old 03-02-2024, 07:41 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

What kind of programming are you referring to?

Old 03-02-2024, 08:26 AM

666 posts, read 422,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
How do people get angry about flat screens?
The original post was dated 07-16-2008. OP probably spent the first portion of their life on 4:3 aspect ratio and the change to 16:9 was just too great to bear. You know, having all that extra screen real estate can be really taxing on simple minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics