Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,083 times

Advertisements

I need some information please. I have just listed my house here in Louisiana and hope to move soon to TN. I have visted the GSNP area for over twenty years and love the area. Would like a rural area near Maryville but was wondering about Cookeville too, just undecided. Would most likely rent for a few months to check areas out before buying. I am originally from Scotland and east TN reminds me a lot of there. Anyway any advice would be most welcome, if anyone knpws of a good realtor in Maryville that would be a big help too, many thanks.
Shirley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyelass View Post
I need some information please. I have just listed my house here in Louisiana and hope to move soon to TN. I have visted the GSNP area for over twenty years and love the area. Would like a rural area near Maryville but was wondering about Cookeville too, just undecided. Would most likely rent for a few months to check areas out before buying. I am originally from Scotland and east TN reminds me a lot of there. Anyway any advice would be most welcome, if anyone knpws of a good realtor in Maryville that would be a big help too, many thanks.
Shirley
I think both areas are very nice. Maryville is definitely closer to the Smoky Mountains. Both cities have outstanding schools. Cookeville also has a mid-major state university, but Maryville is closer to a big city (Knoxville). Cookeville is closer to a large airport with cheap air fares (Nashville). The two cities are actually about the same size and have almost the same amount of shopping opportunities. But since Maryville is right next to Knoxville, there are more shopping opportunities close by. But then again, Cookeville isn't too far from Nashville, which has even more heavy-duty shopping opportunities than Knoxville.

Both cities are near lakes with boating opportunities. If you want to live out in the country, the Cookeville area is probably a little cheaper than the countryside outside of Maryville. And while Maryville is certainly closer to the Smoky Mountains, Cookeville is closer to Fall Creek Falls (Tennessee's most popular state park), Big South Fork (another national park), and several other waterfalls and state natural areas.

It's a tough choice, for sure! I personally prefer Cookeville, but I'm sure there are a lot of people in this forum who prefer Maryville, and I can't say that I blame them.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,083 times
JMT

thanks very much for responding. I guess I will have to just spend sometime in both areas. I don't have to worry about schools and thats a good thing. I have two G shepherds who are getting old so I hope I don't have too much of a problem renting. I have camped in the past at Fall Creek Falls, a beautiful area, for some reason never visited Cookeville. I do like Townsend very much but prices have soared in houses and land over the years. I know I will find something, everything is just a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville