Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 PM

127 posts, read 142,970 times

Advertisements

We are perusing acreage in Sparta, Spencer, Monterey, Pikeville, Deer Lodge, Rock Island and several other adjacent areas on and around the Cumberland Plateau. Can anyone recommend reputable home builders that work in these areas that will build on our lot rather than in a planned community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 05:07 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
I've heard good things about Norrod Builders, HD Homes, Master Builders, and Advanced Building Contractors, all of Cookeville but they each build homes throughout the area.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-14-2020, 11:32 PM

137 posts, read 120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
We are perusing acreage in Sparta, Spencer, Monterey, Pikeville, Deer Lodge, Rock Island and several other adjacent areas on and around the Cumberland Plateau. Can anyone recommend reputable home builders that work in these areas that will build on our lot rather than in a planned community?
Did you ever find a place and/or a reputable builder? Curious as we are here now and found land in similar areas you mentioned. Thanks

Old 06-15-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanio View Post
Did you ever find a place and/or a reputable builder? Curious as we are here now and found land in similar areas you mentioned. Thanks
The short answer is no. I was asked to assist an acquaintance who was looking to move right away to the areas mentioned. Turned out she was all talk and no action. I myself am planning to make it up there but I have another 2 years 3 months and 15 days until I can retire without penalty. It would be premature for me to waste the time of the builders by contacting them. Also, who knows how the industry will change in these next two years with perhaps new builders coming on the scene.

Did you reach out to the builders JMT recommended?
Have you found any on your own?

I would appreciate if you reply back here with any results, good or bad, you have finding a home builder who builds outside of planned developments and who also puts up modest homes of <2,000 sq'.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:58 AM

137 posts, read 120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
The short answer is no. I was asked to assist an acquaintance who was looking to move right away to the areas mentioned. Turned out she was all talk and no action. I myself am planning to make it up there but I have another 2 years 3 months and 15 days until I can retire without penalty. It would be premature for me to waste the time of the builders by contacting them. Also, who knows how the industry will change in these next two years with perhaps new builders coming on the scene.

Did you reach out to the builders JMT recommended?
Have you found any on your own?

I would appreciate if you reply back here with any results, good or bad, you have finding a home builder who builds outside of planned developments and who also puts up modest homes of <2,000 sq'.
Thanks for the prompt reply. So sorry to hear things didn’t work out. But that 2 years will be here before you know it. It’s taken us almost 4 years to get to this point so I know the long way to get to that dream too. We are in the process of buying land now so the next few days we will spend checking out different components of costs to build from infrastructure of water, power, septic, etc to foundation, build etc...

I will be sure to let you know what we find out. I’ll shoot you a PM once I can evaluate and document our journey and process with what we find if you’d like. My husband wants a passive solar style plan to maximize energy costs so we are looking for that but definitely under 2000 ft.

Best to you... did you find land yet? While we are getting land now it may be a while before we get to the breaking ground stage as we are buying raw land to start from scratch and have to travel here to get things done.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanio View Post
Best to you... did you find land yet? While we are getting land now it may be a while before we get to the breaking ground stage as we are buying raw land to start from scratch and have to travel here to get things done.

I'm sure you are smart enough to look before you jump and you'll have all your ducks in a row with regard to any prospective homesite you may purchase. I've read that any deal on raw land should be contingent on a favorable perc test. Of course availability of utilities, particularly electricity, is a huge consideration. The availability of utilities such as electricity and high speed internet are things which may make currently nonviable land appealing in the future.

I'm of the mind that when I get ready to make the move I will contact a realtor asking for builder recommendations. After consultation with the builder, and hopefully the builder and real estate agent can consult regarding my needs, I will look for a homesite. I won't make an offer on the homesite until the builder I am comfortable with confirms that they will indeed put up the house I want on that site without any issues. I don't want to buy land that turns out to be unbuildable due to lack of perc. I also don't want surprises with regards to unexpected astronomical costs of site prep or bringing in utilities. How terrible, too, it would be to purchase land in an area that is not serviced by reputable contractors.

I wish you the best and I'm sure things will all come together for you. I'm envious that I am not in your shoes. I look forward to a private message in the future with any helpful information you can offer to assist in my endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville