Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:27 PM

11 posts, read 61,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiem
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm living in Minnesota now and have about 5 years untill I retire. I don't want to stay in this cold after I retire.I also need to move somewhere the cost of living is cheaper. I can't belive how much cheaper the houses cost in TN and some of the other states.

Look at Fairfield Glade, that is where the diversity is and where people retire. It is close (too close if you ask me) to Crossville. Something you need to research is healthcare, it seems to be a big issue up there. I am in the medical field and a lot of people from the area come here or go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2006, 12:23 AM

421 posts, read 1,690,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian
Look at Fairfield Glade, that is where the diversity is and where people retire. It is close (too close if you ask me) to Crossville. Something you need to research is healthcare, it seems to be a big issue up there. I am in the medical field and a lot of people from the area come here or go elsewhere.
Bessiem,
Healthcare is not a BIG issue in the Crossville area.They have a good hospital there.Yes,if you have a serious issue or surgery they will send you to Cookeville or Nashville/Knoxville but that's normal from anywhere in the upper cumberland area.
Fairfield Glade is nice,yes.The whole area is nice as a whole.

Last edited by firepower; 03-25-2006 at 12:26 AM..

Old 03-25-2006, 02:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Hi Bess, you happen to live in my neighboring state and we're also checking out different areas of the country to live in, hopefully within about two years. It just gets too cold and snowy up here and we're ready for some warmth. I'll have to check out Crossville, too. We got some very good info from a gent from Tn. this week and it looks absolutely beautiful there. We have family in Fla, but it just sounds too expensive for us. The Carolinas are also very nice, but Tenn. has one big positive~no state tax. I will still have to work for several years and hubby will also have to work part time even after he goes on Social Security. Keep in touch and let us know what you are finding in Tn. Stay warm.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,275 times
I have a family of 5 (3 kids) I am a Teacher in NY State and my husband is a construction mechanic- we need small town, good schools, land, no or very little tornados and low crime (no angs/drug/theft). Any ideas are welcome-have visited Wodbury, McMinnville, Murfreesboro-wondered about Red Boiling Springs, Cumberland Gap, and Lebanon...Thanks!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:25 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times
Default Tn bound

After 20 years in Florida,I'm heading to Crossville.Can't wait to close on the new house.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,569 times
I'm from NY state also. Orange Co. bought property in Rogersville and will be moving down in fall of 2007. people are friendly, weather in Rogersville is mostly 10 t0 15 degrees warmer in winter, and 5 degrees warmer in summer.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 PM

20 posts, read 75,044 times
Default Crossville Area

Do any of you have any infomration on the Crossville area? We have visited Paris, Lexington and the Johnson City areas. We are looking at a nice retirement area. Where people still say hi and wave when they see you. Where what is in your hart is more important than the color of your skin. Are my wife and I looking in the right area or should we look in another location?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:34 PM

63 posts, read 302,602 times
Hi Gene,
I am an old Tennessee boy. I will be retiring early (53) and likely moving to the Crossville area. I bought a nice lot in Fairfiled Glade and was up there to examine the lot and for the closing last July. I dealt with Crossville Realty. If you are referring to Tansi or Fairfield they are great communities. I also have several co-workers whose families are from there and many friends currently living there.

While VIDEOTAPING the neighbors homes and my street people came out to say hello, NONE of the tension such a thing would produce here, they actually wanted to know ehen we were building and the FIRST thing to happen to us in Fairfield was being invited to the Methodist Church Dinner by a total stranger at the entrance where you register and get your card, that was when i rolled the window down for directions.

I will likely not retire in Fairfield but plan on building on my lot in Lake Tansi. In my visits i have found Crossville to be one of the nicest most pleasant places I have ever been. I live in South Florida now. The drivers for one thing are courteous beyond measure and typical Tennesseans they will nearly cross into the ditch on the other side of the road if you are walking on the highway (like old 70, the Knoxville highway I remember as a young kid, it still exists). The point being they don't want you to THINK they are rude.

I have trusted the good folks at Crossville Realty to make several purchases sight unseen after dealing with them on my first. No, I don't work for them, I work for Miami Dade County Metrorail, so i have no interest in pushing them. I just find the folks there very decent and honest. Fairfield has next to no crime. All through this section of Tennessee I was again amazed to notice that kids played like we did back in the 60's in Tennessee, like they weren't tense like they are down here. There is a carefree friendly attitude every time i visit the place.

I got a ticket, 70 ina 30. Be careful, City looks Country and speeds aren't posted everywhere in town. I was told that i could take a class and get the ticket off my record, but the class was after i was leaving that time. The Officer felt bad and told me that i should have told him before he wrote the ticket. Well, next morn i told my wife (who is colombian) "I'm from Tennessee dear, I'll go and ask if there is another date for me to take the class later but don't be surprised if they give it to me today, people up here work things out". Sure enough the Captain heard me explaining the situation and laughed and sent my wife shopping downtown and gave me the class that morning and I paid the 35.00 fine and the ticket was removed. When she returned an hour later with shopping bags he came up and said, "you have been pinished". It was a great experience and showed friendly intelligence that is rare today. I was punished for the offense, the lesson learned and the local law was merciful. That has been very typical of the way i have been treated in Crossville. It is full of really good, decent people and the atmosphere has non e of the tension i live with here.

As a family we love Crossville and yes I will God-willing be retiring there. The whole area is lovely and the ambiance is very friendly. EXCELLENT CHOICE. You will enjoy this town and the surrounding area. I see my grandkids coming to stay the summers there. Highway 127 from Dunlap to Forbus city rates to me one of the most awesome drives in America.

I'll answer any questions I can but others may know more on some issues. We bought a serious lot as opposed to a "membership" lot. Ours has Water/sewer and is buildable near the entry to "Hunters Cove". If you buy a lot in Fairfield by it through a reputable person or Realty Agency. Rememebr most lots there are septic and MUST pass a perkcolation test first. Be very careful about buying a lot in Fairfield/Tansi, diligence pays. many lots won't perk.

Last edited by robivi3; 06-12-2006 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 AM

20 posts, read 75,044 times
Thank you for the information. At this point we are not sure if we will buy or build a home. We have family in Lexington, but our son is a Army lifer in NC. and our daughter is moving to Georgia with her family. We do not want to live in the same town or areas as them but we would like to live within a days drive. It just seems as TN and the Crossville area is the right choice for us.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 PM

63 posts, read 302,602 times
Gene,

I cannot stress nough the need for diligence in the buying of land in FFG or Tansi. The percolation test for non water/sewer lots is essential. Most lots sold on ebay are "membership lots", never buildable. I deal only with Crossville Realty, you can choose another if you like. Do not overpay for nice FFG land either, my lot has all utilities and is in a well developed neighborhood. An elderly lady in nashville sold it to me for $8500.00, her husband paid 15,000.00 for it in 1988.

Diligence pays when buying Tennessee land, fail the perc test and your lot is just plain grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville