Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,974,435 times

Advertisements

First off.. LOL at the HUHNAY!

Well I want to be near the coast. Thats why I was looking at Galveston. I like the feel of the city. Corpus had a more run down feel to it than Galveston did. But I have spent lots of time on the island there in Corpus.. camping on the beach. Have a friend who lives there.. he likes it. Works on the Navy base there. One thing I can not understand is why the one mall looks run down and empty and the other looks ok.. they are right next to each other.

I really like the look and feel of Galveston, but I worry about the crime stats, and the schools there. I have 3 kids. One about to go to High School one in Middle school and one in elementary school.

Also want a place that pays above minimum wage, but is not a high cost to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 PM

79 posts, read 395,142 times
Muhnay

Well that's just it, you shouldn't scratch a place off your list just because some guy starts going off about how bad it is. And before you chastise me of being too harsh on him remember who came in here unsolicited and started the bashing, from accusing the teachers of doing cocaine to the general ignorance of the populace (hey at least he said they were nice enough, I'll give him that). It's accusations you could make about nearly every other town in the country.

But do yourself a favor and go decide for yourself, I've always liked Rockport. You wouldn't know it from this post but the area does have a charm to it. Granted, I'll agree with the OP that the Hill Country is nice, and yes the water is usually murky on the bay (like most bays), but I wouldn't scatch Rockport off the list of places to go simply based on one disgruntled attack post on city-data. If that were the case nobody would ever go anywhere

Old 01-11-2008, 05:05 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,524,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrueneRiver View Post
He's not whining. He's telling it like it is. I've lived there...I know.
Yeah whatever, I went to Texas A&M for college and had at least 4 friends from that town (Rockport) and they said it was a pretty cool town to live in. I visited it with them and agreed.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,974,435 times
Your right, and thats true. I have been to Rockport a couple times, I enjoyed the pebble beach they have there and the fair grounds ( I guess they are fair grounds ) there near by. The city had much more charm to it than Corpus did for me anyways. I met a few people there at the chamber and they were very upbeat about the town, even the teenager that was working there. Everyone seemed polite enough. Like I said I liked the area when I was there.. but can there be any truth to his claims?

As an example I asked about Galveston, and people have posted crime stats and they did not look good. People have also beaten the place up pretty hard.. but it was some place I liked a lot. But when you have 3 kids you want the best for them, and for them to be safe.. so I get a tad concerned about crime and gang, and drug claims.

Thanks for coming at me with a positive attitude and not with a club in your hand.. glad we had a chance to talk more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrstx View Post
Muhnay

Well that's just it, you shouldn't scratch a place off your list just because some guy starts going off about how bad it is. And before you chastise me of being too harsh on him remember who came in here unsolicited and started the bashing, from accusing the teachers of doing cocaine to the general ignorance of the populace (hey at least he said they were nice enough, I'll give him that). It's accusations you could make about nearly every other town in the country.

But do yourself a favor and go decide for yourself, I've always liked Rockport. You wouldn't know it from this post but the area does have a charm to it. Granted, I'll agree with the OP that the Hill Country is nice, and yes the water is usually murky on the bay (like most bays), but I wouldn't scatch Rockport off the list of places to go simply based on one disgruntled attack post on city-data. If that were the case nobody would ever go anywhere

Old 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM

219 posts, read 811,835 times
My post has nothing to do with invalid accusations. They are total facts. I can't tell you how but I and others have had direct dealings and have seen this first hand. I have known and do know certain law enforcement and teachers and what I said happens actually happens. Not rumors...total facts that I have witnessed with my own eyes or the people actually involved in the corruption talking to me about it. Of course when I heard what they were doing I no longer associated with them. The sad thing is that these things are not even done in private and if people truly don't know what is going on here they are in denial or are involved themselves. Example. When my son entered 6th grade he come home and told us that he had been offered drugs and vodka during his first week. Then certain parents that we knew had problems with their daughters coming home crying because groups of boys had held them down on the floor in the hallway and "felt them up". My wife and I and the other parents had a meeting with the school and they told us that nothing like that ever happens and asked us all to leave. Interesting uh? You have a choice believe me or not believe me. The fact still is that I have lived here for 20 years and have witnessed first hand the corruption. The things I could tell you would shock you.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:14 AM

Here is some information for you Muhnay. Sorry for the spelling your name wrong last time. I have spent some time in Fredericksburg and it is on my list of places to move to. They have very good schools and very low crime rate. The pay is pretty decent and the housing is nicely priced. New Braunfels is also on my list of places to move to. They also have low crime, nice schools and nicely priced housing. Both places have plenty of water. Rivers, creeks, etc...and very pretty scenery. If you would like to talk sometime on the phone just send me your phone number and I will be happy to call you on my dime. I will be leaving today at 2pm and won't be back till Sunday so If I don't hear from you today before I leave I will call you on Sunday.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,722,425 times
Since my last reply was deleted, I'll just be very sweet and say I like Corpus Christi and Rockport and have spent a ton of time in my nearly 40 years on this earth there and never encountered any of these problems. Shocking things happen in Hill Country Schools as well. No place is immune.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,481,388 times
John, thank you for posting your opinion of the areas. We've always liked to vacation in coastal areas and had been thinking about the Galveston or Corpus Christi areas. The more I read, the more discouraged I become. I had been hoping for nice clear beaches and things like that. You're not the first one to post negatives about the areas and IMHO it's always good to get a few views. It'd be pretty disappointing to either vacationers or relocators to get some place and see that it is nothing like people said it was.

On the flip side, I don't believe I've read anything negative about New Braunfels. Is it really nice there?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 AM

There are negative things about any town. The areas I was talking about though abound with mass corruption. I find it interesting when a person can't see the corruption of an area after living there so long. It's obviously denial or the fact that they love the place so much they can't admit what happens.

Vacationing here would be fine but there are many other places much better. I take about 4 road trips a year and find many beautiful places.

As to New Braunsfels. I have researched it but have not checked it out yet. There is a lady on this forum that I talked to last night on instant messenger that told me about it. I am sure she will respond back on this thread. Any of you that need help relocating just pm me with your phone number and I will be happy to call you. I have travelled throughout the United States and have lived in many states and many locations. I would be happy to give you my input.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM

18 posts, read 68,660 times
Jammie, as John said, there are negatives about any town. I'll have to really think hard to come up with them about New Braunfels though. You can go to newbraunfels.com to read about the positives.

Okay, I thought of a negative. The traffic can be bad, especially during the tourist season. TSU is only 12 miles down the interstate in San Marcos, so we get a lot of college kids during spring break and all through the summer. They usually head straight for the beautiful rivers though.

The neighborhoods are very diverse. We have some rather rundown ones in the older parts of town, but then again, there are many new additions being built all the time. Some are moderate and some are extravagant.

My favorite part of New Braunfels is Gruene (pronounced "Green"). Go to Touring Texas - Texas Tourist Guide and it will tell you all about it.

We've left twice before, due to job advancement, but always manage to come back and this time, we're staying for good. The people, for the most part, are very outgoing and friendly. You can strike up a conversation anywhere you go.

If I can help you with anything else, just let me know.

"Jammie"......that's what one of my dear friends calls me!

Hmmm.....I can't seem to make the link work correctly.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-11-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi