Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

To seasick:

I do not live in Corpus, but visit there usually once or twice a year.

Crime: I have never felt threatened or in any danger when visiting. I certainly never felt I was at any risk just over looking at someone wrong.

Humidity: I doubt it is any worse than Florida's, especially when you are around the bay where there is usually a breeze.

People: People are generally friendly, its is a relaxed, easy going place.

FLour BLuff: It does look like there are some very economical neighborhoods there.

If you go to this City-Data data page for Corpus you can learn a lot about the area. //www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html Scroll down to the Second Map, it says "Median Household Income" near the top and displays color coded overlays on the map of the area. You can learn a lot there about the neighborhood you are interested in. You can change the map overlay to show you different aspects of the area such as Race, Cost of Living, Unemployment, Median House or Condo Value, etc. Those demographics can probably provide you with a clue regarding the house valuations in that area.

This web page can show you a map with color overlays showing the crime rates in the area. It is very helpful for understanding where crime is high or low. Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
There is a sign at the end of this thread that said "Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view."

I have been reading all the Corpus Christi threads, and getting good information.

I read the Thread! It is very long and very full of information, some that I deem reliable and some less so. But all good to read. I kind of skimmed some of it. The political part, the infighting parts.

I think maybe quite a bit has changed in Corpus Christi and surrounding area since the Thread began in 2008 I think it was.

I'm hoping that Others might have More to Add. About these subjects pertaining to the area:

Crime. Is it true that if you look at someone wrong, you get beat up? That was in the thread. Very frightening.

Humidity. I have lived in Florida. Could it be Worse than Florida's?

People. I understand there are a lot of poor. Are people "in general" friendly? I have visited, but that doesn't give me a true idea, since a lot of tourists get treated nicely bc they are spending Money left and right.

FLour BLuff: I saw a house there, you can see the bay. It is an area of "summer homes." I thought it was really Cute and it says the area is quiet. I could buy it cash. It is quite cheap. WHY? What do you guys think?

Anything Else someone would like to Add to the Thread.

THANK YOU very much!
I lived in Florida for 15 years before moving to Texas (Ft Lauderdale/Boca Raton area).
I go down to Rockport/Corpus twice a year ...fall and summer.
Florida humidity is worse IMHO. Yeah..it's humid but you can at least make it to your car without breaking a sweat There's always a breeze.

If you are looking to retire then take a look at Rockport. It's not too far from Corpus, quiet with an older population. Rockport has an HEB (Texas equivalent to Publix) and a big, new Walmart. And you can go to Corpus to do major shopping at the big box.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Depressing. Strictly for locals born and raised within 70 miles of the place. Not from there? You'll soon leave. It is not a place for outsiders.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:21 AM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
Thank you all for updating the information on this Thread.

The little house in Flour Bluff was Not on Stilts, but some houses behind it were. Uh oh.

I would Love to move to Rockport, but I have to work, even though spouse is retired. Rockport doesn't seem to have many well-paying jobs. I am used to working in large firms/government/corporations, and spouse must be pretty near medical care, as in minutes away. But I Loved Rockport.

I take care of a disabled young relative, who might Look at someone "wrong" bc he just looks. I don't want him in a place, and I have lived in bad places like this, where if you Look, someone takes offense. I want him to be able to go out and about and not get hurt by a casual Look. Like he might look at what someone has on their Plate, or Stare at a shirt with an interesting pattern, or look at someone's Glasses. He's gentle and defenseless and I rarely let him on his own, but sometimes he wants to just go out and about.

I try to click on everyone who answers Reputation, but sometimes it isn't taking. Sorry about that.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:10 AM

286 posts, read 569,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Depressing. Strictly for locals born and raised within 70 miles of the place. Not from there? You'll soon leave. It is not a place for outsiders.
I'm an outsider. I moved here 4 years ago from the east coast. My wife and I have made many friends, and our children have as well. We aren't leaving anytime soon. I'm sorry you didn't like it here, but that doesn't mean everyone else won't either.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,623 times
i live in Jamaica and i have issues with the heat.My head hurts if i stay in for atleast 15 mins long and i gets skin discolored.
I am coming to live permanently in the US but still haven't decided where exactly i should live since i have two daughters and i want to send them to good christian private schools,i want to live somewhere that has a cool climate,A decent safe and friendly neighborhood with nice houses to raise my kids,has nearby christian churches,where i can enroll in a university that will accept my Penn foster online high sch diploma.Please for your advice as to where to live in the US.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenwils View Post
i live in Jamaica and i have issues with the heat.My head hurts if i stay in for atleast 15 mins long and i gets skin discolored.
I am coming to live permanently in the US but still haven't decided where exactly i should live since i have two daughters and i want to send them to good christian private schools,i want to live somewhere that has a cool climate,A decent safe and friendly neighborhood with nice houses to raise my kids,has nearby christian churches,where i can enroll in a university that will accept my Penn foster online high sch diploma.Please for your advice as to where to live in the US.
If you have issues with the heat, you probably won't be happy in Corpus Christi. Summers are long and very hot and humid. As far as where else you could live in the United States, try posting your question in the General Moving forum. You'll have better luck there.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:43 AM

19 posts, read 50,114 times
Hello,

I'm a Yoga Therapist and my husband is a software developer who works contracts with a company, so his work is mobile. We have a one year old daughter, two dogs and a cat. My husbands grandparents used to live in Corpus Christi and San Antonio, so he has been there many times over the course of his life, and I have been there many times over the last 12 years.

We've always planned to move to Corpus when we retired for the beach, the sun and the wind. (not sooner because of somewhat stagnant economy.) We like the laid back vibe, low cost of living and the food.

We have the opportunity sooner than expected to move, but our life is pretty much perfect right now.

I would like someone who is happy with Corpus Christi to give me a run down of some cultural things...

I am interesting in any green initiatives corpus may have ....like what is the recycling program like?
I want to grow much of my own food, will I be able to have a backyard garden? What about farmer's market?
What is the yoga community like?
What is the entrepreneurial community like?
What are the schools like? Where can we find a good school?

We would probably live in a house for a bit, then build something.

Any chatter would be helpful Thanks!!

Old 04-06-2016, 11:46 AM

19 posts, read 50,114 times
And I should also add, we are both Marine Corps veterans. I would be using the VA hospital, if anyone has any information on activity in the veteran community (for example here I offer therapeutic yoga for veterans) and any info on their experiences at the VA hospital receiving care that'd be great.

The VA here is amazing.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheiladekam View Post
Hello,

I'm a Yoga Therapist and my husband is a software developer who works contracts with a company, so his work is mobile. We have a one year old daughter, two dogs and a cat. My husbands grandparents used to live in Corpus Christi and San Antonio, so he has been there many times over the course of his life, and I have been there many times over the last 12 years.

We've always planned to move to Corpus when we retired for the beach, the sun and the wind. (not sooner because of somewhat stagnant economy.) We like the laid back vibe, low cost of living and the food.

We have the opportunity sooner than expected to move, but our life is pretty much perfect right now.

I would like someone who is happy with Corpus Christi to give me a run down of some cultural things...

I am interesting in any green initiatives corpus may have ....like what is the recycling program like?
I want to grow much of my own food, will I be able to have a backyard garden? What about farmer's market?
What is the yoga community like?
What is the entrepreneurial community like?
What are the schools like? Where can we find a good school?

We would probably live in a house for a bit, then build something.

Any chatter would be helpful Thanks!!
There is curbside recycling of everything but glass. At one time there was quarterly recycling of glass organized by volunteers, but I'm not sure if that still goes on.

You can grow food year round. We have sticky clay in town and sand on the island, but both can work well when they're amended. There are two small Farmer's Markets, one on Saturday and one on Wednesday evening.

Corpus Christi Southside Farmers' Market

https://www.facebook.com/CorpusChris...nFarmersMarket

I'm not familiar with the yoga community, although there is a small one. There are at least a couple of yoga studios.

I'm sorry, but I can't tell you about the entrepreneurial community. There is a small business incubator attached to the community college.

Small Business - Del Mar College

The Corpus Christi Independent School District as a whole is not great, although there are some good individual schools. There is an International Baccalaureate program from elementary to high school that children test into at the elementary level. Schools in some of the surrounding communities such as Flour Bluff, Tuloso-Midway, Portland or Calallen may have higher ratings overall.

You need to be clear that Corpus Christi is not Austin, but there are small groups of people interested in the things you're interested in.

I hope some other posters can offer additional insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi