Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 12,882 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks! My husband & i are looking to relocate to Portland TX or the Ingleside area.
We're hoping to get some feedback on these areas regarding jobs / apartments/ safety/ traffic

As far as employment goes, my husband works from home.
Im looking for work in the customer service field or any kind of trucking / transportation jobs in office. ( non-driving)

Thanks for any additional tips/advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Both areas have good schools, relatively nice apartments (especially Northshore Landing and Northshore Pavilions in Portland), are very safe, and tend to have very little traffic.

In Ingleside, you may have to deal with traffic if you are traveling to/from Corpus when the plants between Gregory and Ingleside have shift changes.

I'm thinking that the Gregory-Portland school district may be slightly better than the Ingleside school district.

Also, the transportation/trucking offices & customer service jobs tend to be in Corpus Christi, though this may begin to change with the new La Quinta Trade Gateway project and the impending redevelopment of Naval Station Ingleside. Still, I would think that Portland would be a more convenient location than Ingleside, because it allows you to have easier access to Corpus Christi.

What is your housing allowance? Any kids?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,882 times
Thanks for the quick reply!

I also wanted to ask about the weather. Twisters? Heat? We've heard horror stories about the heat..

We are looking for a small but nice/cozy apartment. We pay 1200/mnth in the burbs of VA for a 1 bedroom 800 sq ft.
We'd like to find a place in the 7 - 8 hundred dollar range if possible and don't mind giving up a little space.
No kids...yet

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM

You'll easily find a nice apartment for your range. I'd recommend, as I previously said, Northshore Landing and The Pavilions at Northshore.

Not too many twisters in the Corpus Christi area. It is very hot and very humid during the summer. The tradeoff is that you don't have terrible ice storms in the winter. Some of the summer heat is negated by the wind, which, while not actually making the temperature cooler, will make your skin a bit cooler.

Hurricanes can be a problem, but you'll get ample warning, and the news stations are very good at distributing information on hurricane preparedness.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I lived in Portland for 18 years, so I know the area very well.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Portland is a place to live, but not much as far as work goes unless you want to work in retail or in a restaurant or maybe an office job. Like the other poster said, it's good that Corpus is just across the bridge for this reason (and others).

Yes, it's hot but as the previous poster said, you get a decent coastal breeze.

I grew up in Portland; my mom still owns a house there (rents it out). I realize it's been a while since I lived there (long while actually)... I moved away 20-something years ago... but I'd sum it up as:

Small
Quiet
Safe
Boring

I hope you get more "recent" info.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I moved away 20-something years ago... but I'd sum it up as:

Small
Quiet
Safe
Boring

I hope you get more "recent" info.
Unless a Wal-Mart Supercenter qualfies a town as exciting, I'm pretty sure your info still rings true

Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 AM

10 posts, read 35,282 times
Hi-

It is great that both are near Corpus Christi. If you guys have kids, check out the school district links below to help make your decision.

Gregory-Portland Independent School District

Ingleside Independent School District

Also, home prices/ rent prices may be a deciding factor as well. And those vary depending on what you are looking for.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM

19 posts, read 52,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDC View Post
Hi Folks! My husband & i are looking to relocate to Portland TX or the Ingleside area.
We're hoping to get some feedback on these areas regarding jobs / apartments/ safety/ traffic

As far as employment goes, my husband works from home.
Im looking for work in the customer service field or any kind of trucking / transportation jobs in office. ( non-driving)

Thanks for any additional tips/advice

I moved to Ingleside from NJ, 7 years ago. The Navy leaves next year, lots of families have started leaving. I have 2 kids, one who started kindergarten here. I will answer any questions I can honestly from what I have experienced as a person from the East Coast moving down here; it is a BIG change.
Due to the economy jobs are hard to come by, but it also depends on certain factors also.
I have grown to love the atmosphere in Ingleside/Portland.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,786 times
Smile Relocating from DC

I recommend Portland as I have lived here for a long time. There are nice apts. here, crime rates are low, traffic is light and it is in general a very nice place to live. More than likely, work would be more available in Corpus Christi. Ingleside is nice but very small and not the best place for job placements. Hoping this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi