Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:40 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times

Advertisements

I have nothing else to say on this thread. So I'll just "split hairs" over the accurate U.S. Census estimate that "comes out" every year stating the figures for the past July 1.

So, for July 1, 2007 Corpus 285,507 The complete full census of 2000 277,454 for a net gain of 8,053. Have fun. The census estimates are usually very close to the actual census. Oh, I like Corpus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Their latest estimate release for Corpus was in 2006.

And the city isn't losing population, its gaining.

the 2000 census had the population at 278,414

the 2006 has it at 285,000 people or so.
Who said it was losing population? Corpus is only gaining because of a small international migration and the high births over deaths.

Corpus Christi, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change

Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 PM

244 posts, read 804,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Comparing Corpus's Art Museum, Symhony and Ballet is like comparing the Hooks to the Astros. Does San Antonio have a beautiful downtown marina like Corpus? No. But I'm certain most people will take the River Walk over the marina any day. Does Austin have a beach like Corpus? Nope. But Austin has countless other things to offer that Corpus does not have. Does Houston have some of the best fishing in the country like Corpus? Actually, yes it does. You just have to go to Galveston. And I can find a lot of things in Corpus that you will find in a larger city. Problem is, it's in Corpus.
Enjoy your riverwalk full of garbage floating in it. I'll enjoy our awesome bayfront and the Wednesday evening sailboat regattas with an ice cold beer. Yes Corpus has all that stuff on a smaller scale just like you said. No one was comparing CC's Symphony to Houston's Symphony. Corpus is smaller. What do you expect? But the fact that Corpus has those things is great. And the fact that it's in Corpus and not Houston makes them even better. Not sure how you can even begin to put down Corpus??? That amazes me.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Enjoy your riverwalk full of garbage floating in it. I'll enjoy our awesome bayfront and the Wednesday evening sailboat regattas with an ice cold beer. Yes Corpus has all that stuff on a smaller scale just like you said. No one was comparing CC's Symphony to Houston's Symphony. Corpus is smaller. What do you expect? But the fact that Corpus has those things is great. And the fact that it's in Corpus and not Houston makes them even better. Not sure how you can even begin to put down Corpus??? That amazes me.
Corpus does not compare to San Antonio, let alone Houston. Stay on your level (with Beaumont, Tyler, McAllen, Lubbock, etc.).

Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Corpus does not compare to San Antonio, let alone Houston. Stay on your level (with Beaumont, Tyler, McAllen, Lubbock, etc.).
It's funny how people think that because they live in a larger city that they are somehow superior or on another "level" than the rest of us. As if living in one of these cities makes them cooler or more interesting. When really you're just the same person no matter where you live.

I'm not going to continue this argument because somehow you turned it into a Houston is better than Corpus discussion when that was never my intention. It's quite funny how you think Houston is so great yet you still feel a need to defend it against "little 'ole Corpus". Corpus is a great city. To bad you can't get off your high horse and see that.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
It's funny how people think that because they live in a larger city that they are somehow superior or on another "level" than the rest of us. As if living in one of these cities makes them cooler or more interesting. When really you're just the same person no matter where you live.
You live in a much smaller city (Corpus), yet act like Corpus is all high and mighty and above cities like San Antonio (trashing its nationwide-known Riverwalk and touting Corpus' regionally known marina). I have nothing against Corpus, but your attitude makes me not want to be there.

Quote:
I'm not going to continue this argument because somehow you turned it into a Houston is better than Corpus discussion when that was never my intention. It's quite funny how you think Houston is so great yet you still feel a need to defend it against "little 'ole Corpus". Corpus is a great city. To bad you can't get off your high horse and see that.
Somehow I turned it into that argument? My first response to you was defending SA, Houston, and Austin, when you had said Corpus has all these things that those cities don't have (when they did, or had something similar).

Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
It means what it means. It's hard to attract top notch talent to cities like Corpus and areas like the Valley. What is there in Corpus? Does it have world class museums like Houston? Does it have an incredible nightlife scene like Austin? Does it have the River Walk? Corpus has very little to offer. It has been stuck in neutral for a very long time. Let's be honest, Corpus has been talked up as the "next big city in Texas" for 25 years. In that regards, it reminds me of the Valley. The Valley and Corpus have this in common: non-forward thinking leadership that Austin politicians do not take seriously. Read a Texas Monthly when they rate the worst politicians. They are always from Corpus, the Valley and Laredo.
The only reason a wrote that stuff was because I was responding to this post. Did you read this one? I never said Corpus is better than any of those places. Besides, that's an argument that no one will ever win becuase it is strickly based on opinion. I don't think I'm high and mighty, I just don't like when people bash Corpus for no reason when it's actally a pretty great place to be.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
My question in the beginning was very simple. Is what Corpus has to offer good enough to attract top level executive talent and prevent companies like Whataburger from leaving? In my opinion, the answer is no.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
My question in the beginning was very simple. Is what Corpus has to offer good enough to attract top level executive talent and prevent companies like Whataburger from leaving? In my opinion, the answer is no.
I don't think the city's attitude is positive enough to promote that kind of growth. Its got the right kind of things in the city. A university with another nearby, a large port, plentiful industry, a good job market, and an airport (which needs expansion). It is also in a good location for regional HQ's. Example, an HQ which bases their business from SA or Houston to Corpus to Laredo and the RGV. So its got a lot of potential, but not the right attitude.

I think the city needs to be more towards growth, which it is starting to somewhat, expand its airport, promote more tourism and qualified professionals, and get its name out to the rest of the country.

Then I think the city would be in a much favorable condition for attracting HQ's and executives, and other large companies to the city.

I think its only a matter of time. Not if, but when it will happen.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:34 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
its birth rate being significantly higher than its death rate.
Except on weekends...but what's a little small arms fire on Saturday night? It lends some personality to the area, like the Banditos and bare foot bars in Port A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi