Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I don't think the city's attitude is positive enough to promote that kind of growth. Its got the right kind of things in the city. A university with another nearby, a large port, plentiful industry, a good job market, and an airport (which needs expansion). It is also in a good location for regional HQ's. Example, an HQ which bases their business from SA or Houston to Corpus to Laredo and the RGV. So its got a lot of potential, but not the right attitude.

I think the city needs to be more towards growth, which it is starting to somewhat, expand its airport, promote more tourism and qualified professionals, and get its name out to the rest of the country.

Then I think the city would be in a much favorable condition for attracting HQ's and executives, and other large companies to the city.

I think its only a matter of time. Not if, but when it will happen.
It'll be hard for Corpus to attract too many HQs though. Especially when you have a monster like Houston right up the coast, and then you also have San Antonio nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 02:31 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
It'll be hard for Corpus to attract too many HQs though. Especially when you have a monster like Houston right up the coast, and then you also have San Antonio nearby.
True, very true. But like I said, the city is in a nice location for a regional HQ for areas serving from SA or Houston, all the way down to Laredo and the RGV. Corpus is right in the middle of these areas. So it would already make a nice regional HQ for companies.

Texas has too many big cities lol. Too much competition.

Don't Frost Bank, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, (all 3 are hi-rise buildings downtown), and another bank that just built a new regional HQ on Staples near Saratoga. Don't they all have regional HQ's here?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 PM

244 posts, read 804,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
My question in the beginning was very simple. Is what Corpus has to offer good enough to attract top level executive talent and prevent companies like Whataburger from leaving? In my opinion, the answer is no.
And in my opinion, the answer is yes. Agree to disagree. I'm sure top executives would much rather live in a tropical, laid-back location. Heck, a lot of executives even have second homes in and around Corpus they come to on the weekends. That should say something. If the jobs were here, the executives would pounce on them.

Hmm, fresh seafood, great weather, a place to keep you boat or yacht, shopping (may not be much now, but the retail industry is about to explode here), great golf courses (newest one being an Arnold Palmer course). Man, Corpus sounds so horrible. What the heck and I doing here?

I think CC just needs to find it's niche and attract businesses that need a hub that's central to large Texas cities (Houston, SA), Mexico and Central America. If you look at a map, we're actually in a great location for some businesses and we have rail lines, a major port (5th, sometimes 6th largest in the nation), decent air service (needs improvement). It's just a matter of the right people coming together to make things happen and I see a lot of cooperation where before there was none. People are finally fed up with slow growth and are craving more.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM

^^They do? Where (talking about those executives)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
True, very true. But like I said, the city is in a nice location for a regional HQ for areas serving from SA or Houston, all the way down to Laredo and the RGV. Corpus is right in the middle of these areas. So it would already make a nice regional HQ for companies.

Texas has too many big cities lol. Too much competition.
I agree completely. Corpus is in a good central location to Houston, San Antonio, and the RGV. It's probably the reason why Whataburger was there for so long.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
^^They do? Where (talking about those executives)?

I agree completely. Corpus is in a good central location to Houston, San Antonio, and the RGV. It's probably the reason why Whataburger was there for so long.
Some on Ocean Drive, some on Mustang Island (in town). Others in Port Aransas and Rockport areas. Have you even been to the Corpus Christi area recently? There are several developments with huge homes that are not just locals and retirees. I know because they belong to many of the local clubs and frequent events throughout the year. Some of them have been interviewed in magazines and newspaper articles. Port A is becoming a hotspot for these executives. How else would they be able to support restaurants with $20-$40 entrees? And have a marina full of million dollar yachts. They're not all locals and retirees. Trust me.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Some on Ocean Drive, some on Mustang Island (in town). Others in Port Aransas and Rockport areas. Have you even been to the Corpus Christi area recently? There are several developments with huge homes that are not just locals and retirees. I know because they belong to many of the local clubs and frequent events throughout the year. Some of them have been interviewed in magazines and newspaper articles. Port A is becoming a hotspot for these executives. How else would they be able to support restaurants with $20-$40 entrees? And have a marina full of million dollar yachts. They're not all locals and retirees. Trust me.
Interesting. Sounds a lot like areas near Galveston. Doesn't sound like something unique to Corpus though and I'm not surprised some executives bought some homes down there. The climate is good.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Sounds a lot like areas near Galveston. Doesn't sound like something unique to Corpus though and I'm not surprised some executives bought some homes down there. The climate is good.
No, it's not unique to Corpus, but it does show that executives would be willing and maybe even want to live here. I know that's played a huge part in changing Galveston so much in recent years. It's a lot of Houstonians buying second or "weekend" homes there. If this city gets it's act together, like it seems to be doing lately, this area might look completely different in the next decade. One good thing about slow growth is that the city has had time to plan better (ie. roads, infrastructure, zoning, etc.) The university is growing by leaps and bounds and is curretnly expaning off of its island. We just need more reasons for the graduates to stay here. I know when I graduated, most of my classmates wanted to stick around. Some did and some had to eventually move to find a higher paying job. So there's no lack of qualified workers. We just need to work harder to attract companies and expand the ones we've got.

Yes, Whataburger leaving is of course a bad thing, but it does prove that this city is a great place to start and grow a business. And as technology and transportation improve in the future, there will be less reason for growing companies to relocate because business can be conducted from virtually anywhere. And what better place to do so than near the shore?

Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
No, it's not unique to Corpus, but it does show that executives would be willing and maybe even want to live here. I know that's played a huge part in changing Galveston so much in recent years. It's a lot of Houstonians buying second or "weekend" homes there. If this city gets it's act together, like it seems to be doing lately, this area might look completely different in the next decade. One good thing about slow growth is that the city has had time to plan better (ie. roads, infrastructure, zoning, etc.) The university is growing by leaps and bounds and is curretnly expaning off of its island. We just need more reasons for the graduates to stay here. I know when I graduated, most of my classmates wanted to stick around. Some did and some had to eventually move to find a higher paying job. So there's no lack of qualified workers. We just need to work harder to attract companies and expand the ones we've got.

Yes, Whataburger leaving is of course a bad thing, but it does prove that this city is a great place to start and grow a business. And as technology and transportation improve in the future, there will be less reason for growing companies to relocate because business can be conducted from virtually anywhere. And what better place to do so than near the shore?
I really hope the Island works on getting a football team. That would be awesome if they had an athletic program to qualify in the NCAA other than basketball.

That would make the university grow rapidly, I believe.

Also, I know Corpus has a nice skyline and a fair amount of hi-rises in the downtown area. But does anybody know how much of the office space is actually occupied? if it is 80% or more occupied, then I think a new skyscraper should be built. There hasn't been a hi-rise built in this city in 30 years or so. I think an act to start a downtown revitalization project would also spark major growth in and around the city.

Also, if the northside neighborhoods are turned into a light industrial area and the Crosstown Expressway is connected with the Harbor Bridge, I think the city should strive for hi-tech industrial instead of manufacturing companies or dirty industries. It would also make a much smoother commute from Portland to I-37 and S.P.I.D.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM

80% of higher and have a new hi-rise built? It should be 95% or higher because of the market Corpus is in. I'm not sure how much office space is in Downtown Corpus though, but depending on the amount, a new tower built at 80% would lead to high vacancy rates.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
80% of higher and have a new hi-rise built? It should be 95% or higher because of the market Corpus is in. I'm not sure how much office space is in Downtown Corpus though, but depending on the amount, a new tower built at 80% would lead to high vacancy rates.
Sorry, I meant to hit the nine, not the eight. I meant 90%. Lol. I have heard that office space is running low in Corpus though. I am not sure though if its true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi