Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Somebody started a thread like this on the San Antonio board. Now that Corpus has its own, maybe some of you would like to contribute to this thread. Does anybody remember the old Buccaneer Bowl that was where the HEB on Robert St & Alameda is now? How about the Taco Bell on Alameda with the bonfire in front of it? I remember that the bonfire was put out when the Energy Crisis hit about 1973 or 1974. The opening of Padre Staples Mall and all of the sounds of ka-nockers when you walked through the Mall? If anyone has any pictures of old landmarks or events, that would be great.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
The lanes from Buc Bowl are now the bar at Vernons near downtown. The bar and the floor are made out of the old bowling lanes. you can see the arrows. It's pretty cool.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
The lanes from Buc Bowl are now the bar at Vernons near downtown. The bar and the floor are made out of the old bowling lanes. you can see the arrows. It's pretty cool.

Thank you! I never would have known that if you hadn't mentioned it. Does anyone remember some tall fiberglass dinosaurs that they used to have at parkdale plaza? I'm not sure what they were, but they were awesome.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Somebody started a thread like this on the San Antonio board. Now that Corpus has its own, maybe some of you would like to contribute to this thread. Does anybody remember the old Buccaneer Bowl that was where the HEB on Robert St & Alameda is now? How about the Taco Bell on Alameda with the bonfire in front of it? I remember that the bonfire was put out when the Energy Crisis hit about 1973 or 1974. The opening of Padre Staples Mall and all of the sounds of ka-nockers when you walked through the Mall? If anyone has any pictures of old landmarks or events, that would be great.
I was a customer at that Taco Bell the weekend they opened. All items were 25 cents , this wasn't an "opening special", it was the standard price. The menu was pretty small.

Drink (only one size available)
Taco (hard shell beef)
Burrito (bean cheese)
Beans/cheese (cup)
Bell Burger (my favorite, I still miss it to this day)

You could fill up on a dollar.

I remember all of that. They used to close down Chapparel Street during Christmas and turn downtown into a walking mall that was all decorated up for the holidays. Fedways was at one end and the Ritz Theater was at the other end. Lichenstiens (best store in town) was in the middle.

There used to be an ice skating rink out on SPID and everyone bowled at the Buccaneer Bowl. Cruising was between the Picks Drive in on Staples and the Picks downtown.

I do have some old pictures - older than the times we are discussing here - they are on another computer. I'll try to remember to get them up.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I was a customer at that Taco Bell the weekend they opened. All items were 25 cents , this wasn't an "opening special", it was the standard price. The menu was pretty small.

Drink (only one size available)
Taco (hard shell beef)
Burrito (bean cheese)
Beans/cheese (cup)
Bell Burger (my favorite, I still miss it to this day)

You could fill up on a dollar.

I remember all of that. They used to close down Chapparel Street during Christmas and turn downtown into a walking mall that was all decorated up for the holidays. Fedways was at one end and the Ritz Theater was at the other end. Lichenstiens (best store in town) was in the middle.

There used to be an ice skating rink out on SPID and everyone bowled at the Buccaneer Bowl. Cruising was between the Picks Drive in on Staples and the Picks downtown.

I do have some old pictures - older than the times we are discussing here - they are on another computer. I'll try to remember to get them up.
Thanks for painting an excellent picture of those places. Even though I was just a little guy, I remember going downtown very well. It's a shame that Lichtenstein's is not around anymore. I remember the good scent of the mezzanine floor, where the restrooms were. It was unlike any other place. Woolworth's across the street had the best donuts. Where was the ice skating rink on SPID that you are talking about? I know that the Staples Picks was across from the Butter Krust bakery, but where was the DT Pick's? My guess is Water St.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Thanks for painting an excellent picture of those places. Even though I was just a little guy, I remember going downtown very well. It's a shame that Lichtenstein's is not around anymore. I remember the good scent of the mezzanine floor, where the restrooms were. It was unlike any other place. Woolworth's across the street had the best donuts. Where was the ice skating rink on SPID that you are talking about? I know that the Staples Picks was across from the Butter Krust bakery, but where was the DT Pick's? My guess is Water St.
The Staples Picks was at Staples & Everhart and was similar to a Sonic with pull in parking. The Downtown Pick's was totally different. Cars would line up and park in rows - when someone needed to leave, you would move your car and let them out. Imagine a large square with rows of cars - the Snapka's (other drive in on Weber) worked the same way. The downtown Picks was at the very end of downtown (near the church) probably at about Park - it later became an eat in place and then was probably torn down. It was back against the bluff. Downtown was solid traffic at night with kids cruising.

The first chain cheapie hamburger place in town was the Burger Chef on Staples across from Del Mar. Hamburgers were 18 cents.

Angelos Pizza on Staples has been there since the 1950's - I used to ride my bike up there to pick up a pizza when I was about 10. First Pizza in Corpus. Shakey's on Everhart and Panjo's on Airline opened in the 60's and were very popular. Whataburger was just really getting started in the 50's - all the locations had only walk in service. You gave your order when you entered (stood in line) and by the time you got to the register, it was ready. All burgers and buns were done on a grill. Great hamburgers - they ruined them with automation, grilled buns are the secret to a great hamburger. The Port Ave location and Staples (across from Del Mar) were the first places which actually became popular. I think that maybe Mr Dobson started the very first Whataburger (which failed) at the Angelos location but I'm not positive about that. I know he was killed while flying his plane right about the time his son Tommy (I went to school with him and knew him well) was graduating from High School at Ray. My Dad stopped every single Saturday (he worked Sat mornings) on his way home and picked up cheeseburgers, chips (no fries in that time period) and milkshakes for lunch. Saturday lunch was a special treat at our house and an absolute tradition to have Whataburgers.

Another one of those "hidden gem" places to eat in Corpus is the Hamlin Drug Store Grill - the Belaire Drug grill used to be a great place to eat also with a real soda fountain. I ate lunch there a lot when I was going to Del Mar.

Is the Put-Put golf still behine the old Parkdale Plaza? Parkdale was the beginning of the end for downtown - then the malls out on SPID did the same thing to PD. It's wierd that urbans areas continue to sprawl outward and leave empty buildings behind.

First "discount" stores in Corpus were the Gibson store at Weber and Staples (I worked there during college) and the Woolco store (really large) next to Parkdale Plaza. Hurricane Celia did in the Woolco - the roof fell in and they never rebuilt it. It also washed away a couple of places on North Beach (LaHallah, never rebuilt) and the Beach Club on Ocean which was never rebuilt. The Torch still uses the "LaHallah" dressing.

K

Last edited by Kibby; 03-14-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 05:28 PM

56 posts, read 227,595 times
Does anyone remember the name of the water park in CC? If I remember correctly it was right next door to a Maverick Market.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Staples Picks was at Staples & Everhart and was similar to a Sonic with pull in parking. The Downtown Pick's was totally different. Cars would line up and park in rows - when someone needed to leave, you would move your car and let them out. Imagine a large square with rows of cars - the Snapka's (other drive in on Weber) worked the same way. The downtown Picks was at the very end of downtown (near the church) probably at about Park - it later became an eat in place and then was probably torn down. It was back against the bluff. Downtown was solid traffic at night with kids cruising.

The first chain cheapie hamburger place in town was the Burger Chef on Staples across from Del Mar. Hamburgers were 18 cents.

Angelos Pizza on Staples has been there since the 1950's - I used to ride my bike up there to pick up a pizza when I was about 10. First Pizza in Corpus. Shakey's on Everhart and Panjo's on Airline opened in the 60's and were very popular. Whataburger was just really getting started in the 50's - all the locations had only walk in service. You gave your order when you entered (stood in line) and by the time you got to the register, it was ready. All burgers and buns were done on a grill. Great hamburgers - they ruined them with automation, grilled buns are the secret to a great hamburger. The Port Ave location and Staples (across from Del Mar) were the first places which actually became popular. I think that maybe Mr Dobson started the very first Whataburger (which failed) at the Angelos location but I'm not positive about that. I know he was killed while flying his plane right about the time his son Tommy (I went to school with him and knew him well) was graduating from High School at Ray. My Dad stopped every single Saturday (he worked Sat mornings) on his way home and picked up cheeseburgers, chips (no fries in that time period) and milkshakes for lunch. Saturday lunch was a special treat at our house and an absolute tradition to have Whataburgers.

Another one of those "hidden gem" places to eat in Corpus is the Hamlin Drug Store Grill - the Belaire Drug grill used to be a great place to eat also with a real soda fountain. I ate lunch there a lot when I was going to Del Mar.

Is the Put-Put golf still behine the old Parkdale Plaza? Parkdale was the beginning of the end for downtown - then the malls out on SPID did the same thing to PD. It's wierd that urbans areas continue to sprawl outward and leave empty buildings behind.

First "discount" stores in Corpus were the Gibson store at Weber and Staples (I worked there during college) and the Woolco store (really large) next to Parkdale Plaza. Hurricane Celia did in the Woolco - the roof fell in and they never rebuilt it. It also washed away a couple of places on North Beach (LaHallah, never rebuilt) and the Beach Club on Ocean which was never rebuilt. The Torch still uses the "LaHallah" dressing.

K

I used to love burger chefs and their "fun meals" . i think that the one on alameda disappeared sometime in the early 80s. I really don't remember a putt-putt behind parkdale plaza at all. The only putt-putt that I remember was on SPID. Of course, it's gone now. maybe the parkdale put-putt was before the 70s? I remember the Woolco damage just after the hurricane. all of the bricks came off of the building. i don't think that it closed though. I remember buying some 45 records (what are those?) in 1981 from that store. I'm not sure if it was still Woolco? Not sure.
Your memories are fascinating. I'm trying to picture the pick's at staples and everhart. which corner was it? I only remember Parkdale Bank, Sheps Chicken shack. what was the drive-in that was across from the butter krust bakery on ayers st? i think that it also disappeared in the 80s. I remember my mother told me that it was very popular at one time.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the water park in CC? If I remember correctly it was right next door to a Maverick Market.
Do you mean the old water slide off of SPID?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM

According the Murphy Giverns (Dad calls him Doc Givens), there was a Pick's on Ayers street. I never spent much time in that part of town. Always hung around the south side.

The original Put Put in Corpus was right behind Parkdale Plaza - I guess it's gone now. I spent many hours playing there with both family and dates. My husband and I actually played there as late as 1970, the summer we married.

It's hard to give reference points where things used to be ... even the reference points are long gone. Corpus is still an interesting mix of what has been there for years and things that are brand new. I find similar situtations in many Texas towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi