Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What the heck are you jabbering about? I am not a travel agent and I don't think I or anyone else has claimed using an agent is right for everyone. For you, maybe not, but you have come on here time and time again, knocking the industry. I am just giving the other side of the equation. Like every profession, there are good agents and bad ones, some are experienced travelers, even as experienced as you, even if you find that hard to believe. Others have never been out of their home town.
^this, doesn't cost a dime to check into one but there's plenty of info and resources available to check out the options for yourself...if you have the time. Last Princess cruise I booked I checked the on-line rate and got the same through the TA as I had found but they did include an on-board credit and some other welcome gifts waiting for us in the cabin. The main reason for using the TA was I wanted a specific cabin at the rear of the ship and wanted to make sure we got it. Even though this was a Princess "certified" TA (whatever that means), I knew more about the nuances of this cruise-line than she ever will I think.

One other thing, if you have a couple of grand available, you can buy carnival stock (100 shares/CCL) and get shipboard credit of between $100 to $250 depending on cruise length. Buy the stock right before you leave and you can sell it right after you get home. Or hang on to it and keep getting the credits with every cruise. Can be used with Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and a few others owned by Carnival (the parent co.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^this, doesn't cost a dime to check into one but there's plenty of info and resources available to check out the options for yourself...if you have the time. Last Princess cruise I booked I checked the on-line rate and got the same through the TA as I had found but they did include an on-board credit and some other welcome gifts waiting for us in the cabin. The main reason for using the TA was I wanted a specific cabin at the rear of the ship and wanted to make sure we got it. Even though this was a Princess "certified" TA (whatever that means), I knew more about the nuances of this cruise-line than she ever will I think.

One other thing, if you have a couple of grand available, you can buy carnival stock (100 shares/CCL) and get shipboard credit of between $100 to $250 depending on cruise length. Buy the stock right before you leave and you can sell it right after you get home. Or hang on to it and keep getting the credits with every cruise. Can be used with Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and a few others owned by Carnival (the parent co.).
a lot of people now buy Carnival stock for that reason, but I never thought about buying it before a cruise, then turning around and selling it afterwards. As for your experience with a Princess "certified" agent: all that means is: she has sold X number of Princess cruises (not many, I will add) and has completed a couple of on line classes, which, BTW, you can keep on taking the quiz over and over til you do get a passing grade. This isn't knocking the agents by any means, but you are right, it still doesn't make them pros when it comes to the line.

One more thing: I will have a ask you since when is Royal Caribbean owned by Carnival?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:

Carnival doesn't own Royal Caribbean. Never has, and highly doubtful they ever will.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
What the heck are you jabbering about? I am not a travel agent and I don't think I or anyone else has claimed using an agent is right for everyone. For you, maybe not, but you have come on here time and time again, knocking the industry. I am just giving the other side of the equation. Like every profession, there are good agents and bad ones, some are experienced travelers, even as experienced as you, even if you find that hard to believe. Others have never been out of their home town.
Retired travel agent then. Whatever, same difference.

Some TA's are experienced travelers, but very few. Those that are typically work for boutique agencies specializing in travel for the wealthy and put together trips that the average TA couldn't begin to dream of.

A travel agent who hasn't been out of their home town needs to find a different profession. They are in no position to offer help in travel plans.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
a lot of people now buy Carnival stock for that reason, but I never thought about buying it before a cruise, then turning around and selling it afterwards. As for your experience with a Princess "certified" agent: all that means is: she has sold X number of Princess cruises (not many, I will add) and has completed a couple of on line classes, which, BTW, you can keep on taking the quiz over and over til you do get a passing grade. This isn't knocking the agents by any means, but you are right, it still doesn't make them pros when it comes to the line.

One more thing: I will have a ask you since when is Royal Caribbean owned by Carnival?

right, my mistake...these (from Wiki) are the Carnival Lines, I think only the US Lines offer the shipboard credit...
CCL is currently at $35.39 compared to it's price of $34.28 on Jan 13, 2012 (Costa Concordia disaster)

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:CCL&sa=X&ei=Dmt5Uq-1AZTCyAGT-IGYCA&ved=0CCsQ2AEwAA

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
right, my mistake...these (from Wiki) are the Carnival Lines, I think only the US Lines offer the shipboard credit...
CCL is currently at $35.39 compared to it's price of $34.28 on Jan 13, 2012 (Costa Concordia disaster)

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:CCL&sa=X&ei=Dmt5Uq-1AZTCyAGT-IGYCA&ved=0CCsQ2AEwAA
Hey, so many lines fall under the Carnival umbrella, it is easy to think they all do. Hubby asked me the other day about Princess and I had to think twice.. When Carnival was trying to take them over, so was RCI. And there was a time (many years ago) Carnival tried to take over NCL. It is still hard to believe Carnival owns some of the luxury lines.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Does the Carnival stockholder credit apply to HAL cruises?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Does the Carnival stockholder credit apply to HAL cruises?
If it applies to all Carnival lines, it certainly should.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Count me in w the Royal Caribbean crowd. I wont cruise with any other line due to the recent Carnival snafus in the media and reviews from friends.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Count me in w the Royal Caribbean crowd. I wont cruise with any other line due to the recent Carnival snafus in the media and reviews from friends.
Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas fire

105 passengers fall ill on Royal Caribbean cruise ship

Fire Breaks Out Aboard Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises