Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Simply put, had this been the capitol police (wearing shorts and pointing guns) surrounding and peering into a car carrying a child in a car seat they claim not to have seen, then approaching the stopped vehicle to shoot a black woman Bonnie and Clyde-style in a hail of bullets during the Bush Administration, Al Sharpton would have been there already, and her relatives would have been clamoring for justice.
Is this the fall back position for some whenever such incidents occur? Must we always be accosted by the playing of the Sharpton card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM

47 posts, read 68,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I guess the initial "shots" reported were unleashed by the police instead of some lone gunman. Perhaps the Infiniti driver started it all.

Sad event in the nation's capital.
And timing is everything...

Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Is this the fall back position for some whenever such incidents occur? Must we always be accosted by the playing of the Sharpton card?
Sharpton played that card, and got exposed as the lying manipulator he is; same rules apply to Kucinich, Mikey Moore and all the other pseudo-Progressives, and those to whom they peddle their delusions. The agitators over there in Left field promise too much, their simplistic public expects too much, and when their ideas are proven unworkable, all they can do is try to shift the blame to the opposition, or the people who knew better in the first place.

And from what I've been able to learn so far, this unfortunate young woman seems to present a classic case of depending on, and expecting far too much from both the media and the "education industry" which cranks out credentials of only limited potential, and sells them to a gullible public which overestimates their value. When the realities hit home, the results are always painful, and in this case an unstable personality was pushed way too far. There is really not that much difference between this story and that of the Lanza family, save for the magnitude and the status of the victims.

There are far two many people and institutions out there with a vested interest in both economic and societal ignorance; it's likely always been that way, but the media are obsessed with making a buck from it, and any attempt to discern an "official" version of the facts smacks of the even-greater threat of Fascism. That painful possibility was demonstrated in frightening terms at the White House yesterday, albeit by an extremely distorted process.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-04-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 03:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Post-partum depression and post-partum psychosis can be really serious and debilitating conditions.

So sad. Although I don't really fault the police in this instance, it seems that this women really didn't have to die. I'm sure the police officer(s) who killed her are not feeling very good about this either.

I wonder how much support and treatment she was getting from medical providers, her family, etc?

Just a very sad incident all around.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,254 times
OCNJGIRL I understand what you are saying about the barricade and whatever BUT they shot at her the first time as she was driving away from them. I watched them and heard the gunshots on several channels. No, I do NOTwant to crucify the police BUT regarding the press the next time someone rams a security checkpoint ANYWHERE USA and drives away and the police shoot at them, I expect the reation of the press to be the same. And yes, there are other security checkpoints ie: at borders, airports, disaster scenes even police roadblocks/roadside checks. Hell, we have a security checkpoint at the entrance to our federal facility. Does that give our police carte' blanche to shoot anyone that runs it EVEN if they drive away from the police?No they are NOT all concerning the nation's capital but so what. Does that mean that federal police are above reproach in all that they do? Our nation's senators/congress staff are more valuable than the common peasant American? Yes, I know she had a weapon, her car, so does ANYONE that uses it against others. But if they, as press, are NOT going to be critical of the police in this situation (I am glad for the police) then let's, as the press, apply it uniformly across the country to ALL departments.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Sharpton played that card,
I didn't notice that Rev. Sharpton had joined our happy little on-line family.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:19 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I didn't notice that Rev. Sharpton had joined our happy little on-line family.
I wasn't the one who first brought up the name. But the name does invoke and embody all the distortions, half-truths and class-consciousness continually peddled by certain people at this site, and some of the groups they lionize. As they sow, so shall they reap.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:00 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
It saddens me that the police thought it was necessary to use such extreme force against an unarmed women, who by all accounts I have read was of no imminent threat to police. And that poor sweet little baby. It sickens me to think of the trauma that she was put through.
She injured two officers with her car. The car was a deadly weapon. She was absolutely a threat to police and who knows if she would have injured others driving the way she did.

It is sad that she died, but I do not understand how people can say she wasn't doing harm or wasn't a threat when she very clearly was.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
The police didn't start this situation, she did. For all they knew she could have been a terrorist with a car bomb on board, and she fled the scene. As for the child in the car, terror groups think nothing of strapping a bomb to a woman or child and teaching them to pull the pin.

Bottom line of the whole situation is that the police had to assume the worst and have a duty to protect citizens. Sometimes that makes them have to resort to deadly force, but that is just a sad fact of life in 2013.

Don

Old 10-05-2013, 04:37 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
OCNJGIRL I understand what you are saying about the barricade and whatever BUT they shot at her the first time as she was driving away from them. I watched them and heard the gunshots on several channels. No, I do NOTwant to crucify the police BUT regarding the press the next time someone rams a security checkpoint ANYWHERE USA and drives away and the police shoot at them, I expect the reation of the press to be the same. And yes, there are other security checkpoints ie: at borders, airports, disaster scenes even police roadblocks/roadside checks. Hell, we have a security checkpoint at the entrance to our federal facility. Does that give our police carte' blanche to shoot anyone that runs it EVEN if they drive away from the police?No they are NOT all concerning the nation's capital but so what. Does that mean that federal police are above reproach in all that they do? Our nation's senators/congress staff are more valuable than the common peasant American? Yes, I know she had a weapon, her car, so does ANYONE that uses it against others. But if they, as press, are NOT going to be critical of the police in this situation (I am glad for the police) then let's, as the press, apply it uniformly across the country to ALL departments.
Than the peasant American who tries to kill people driving at high rates of speed before ramming the car into a barricade outside the white house? Absolutely. It's amazing someone with a deadly weapon and complete disregard for human life doesn't end up killing innocent people in situations like this. The security check points add another twist in that you just never know people intend, especially ones that have just attempted to murder people and put the public in grave danger.

They aren't around putting around random American peasants. Just the ones who try to ram their way into the White House, assault people with deadly weapons, and pose a public safety risk.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-05-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events