Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:28 AM

43,799 posts, read 44,572,456 times

Advertisements

Pizza Hut manager offered job back after Thanksgiving disagreement - CNN.com

Now they are offering him his job back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,203,888 times
10 years experience I hope he is offered a position by another franchise. The one he is working for sounds like an a__.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:31 PM

830 posts, read 1,669,090 times
I feel for this man and I am glad I read this story. I understand his ambivalence about keeping his job at Pizza Hut, but I hope he does decide to stay for the sake of his employees and people like them. As someone who has worked in retail and fast food I know what this is like. People like us need managers and other coworkers who don't cave in to ridiculous demands of their superiors.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,201,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
10 years experience I hope he is offered a position by another franchise. The one he is working for sounds like an a__.
I'm not surprised to find someone like him working for a company that "sounds like an a__.". Let's be realistic, this guy did refuse to fulfill his job duty.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not surprised to find someone like him working for a company that "sounds like an a__.". Let's be realistic, this guy did refuse to fulfill his job duty.
What if he was promised Thanksgiving and Christmas off when he was hired 10 years ago? Of course, Pizza Hut has the right to fire him if they want to, but the public also has the right to boycott Pizza Hut over that decision.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,391,973 times
Honestly, I really don't feel terribly sorry for the guy nor do I think he did such a great thing. Not sure how long he was a manager, or when exactly this all went down. But he has been working there fore 10 years so its not like it was a surprise that he was going to be working that day. There are so many better ways to handle this. Perhaps well in advance asking the owners about the closing days and asking for an adjustment.

It was not his decision to make whether or not to open the store that day. I am petty sure I would be fired if I decided that the office I work in was going to be closed because I felt I should not have to work on any specific day.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,203,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post

It was not his decision to make whether or not to open the store that day. I am petty sure I would be fired if I decided that the office I work in was going to be closed because I felt I should not have to work on any specific day.
I have to agree if the man was working for me and I wanted my store open he would be fired. I think it would be a good day for the franchise to close. From the article I gather Corporate does not require them to be open that day. Give your employees a break. It's turkey day. Not a real big pizza sales day.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 AM

35,778 posts, read 21,152,282 times

Old 11-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
What if he was promised Thanksgiving and Christmas off when he was hired 10 years ago? Of course, Pizza Hut has the right to fire him if they want to, but the public also has the right to boycott Pizza Hut over that decision.
That's a big and unrealistic if. No employer promises benefits in perpetuity. Benefits are in constant negotiation every year. Seems silly to boycott a business because an employee was fired for refusing to work.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I have to agree if the man was working for me and I wanted my store open he would be fired. I think it would be a good day for the franchise to close. From the article I gather Corporate does not require them to be open that day. Give your employees a break. It's turkey day. Not a real big pizza sales day.
Or perhaps open just for Dinner so that the workers could enjoy the traditional Thanksgiving meal at home with their family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events