Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,832 times

Advertisements

If I owned a business i'd have fired him as well. Now that I don't live in loser small town america anymore and see what life is like when businesses stay open on the holidays i'm actually pretty impressed. It's actually very convenient, provides jobs and plenty of people take advantage of the open business and it makes money. My entire town was pretty well open and it was business as usual on Thanksgiving and I was pretty impressed. I enjoyed being able to go out to the thanksgiving buffet and out to other places after we ate, so nice not to see things closed down. I hope Christmas is the same way. Shoot if I was over thing every single business would operate 24/7 365 days a year, think of all the jobs it would create and how convenient it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,385,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My question was along the the lines of for those who do not think people should not work at specific jobs on holidays." I know many disagree with me as others disagree with you. It's called debate. Look it up.
I know what debate is, thank you very much, and nothing I've said implies that I don't.

I'm sorry, I really think you're making up opponents out of thin air. Without presenting examples, you've stated there's this hypocrisy I for one haven't even heard of. Chances are, the same folks who think employees should be able to opt out of working for Pizza Hut on Thanksgiving, think the same for other generally unnecessary obligations that have nothing to do with public health or safety. Though it is a fair argument that the game is every bit as unnecessary, having no record of a single person condoning that tradition but adamantly standing up against businesses that would make fast food workers have to work on Thanksgiving makes your "hypocrisy" accusation unfounded at this time.

But come to think of it, even if someone did take more action in standing against the latter, that may just be a matter of choosing your battles. They should be winnable, or they're a complete waste of time. It would seem the Pizza Hut manager in this story was presented with a very winnable battle. What more is there to be said? No hypocrisy, just rationality.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
If I owned a business i'd have fired him as well. Now that I don't live in loser small town america anymore and see what life is like when businesses stay open on the holidays i'm actually pretty impressed. It's actually very convenient, provides jobs and plenty of people take advantage of the open business and it makes money. My entire town was pretty well open and it was business as usual on Thanksgiving and I was pretty impressed. I enjoyed being able to go out to the thanksgiving buffet and out to other places after we ate, so nice not to see things closed down. I hope Christmas is the same way. Shoot if I was over thing every single business would operate 24/7 365 days a year, think of all the jobs it would create and how convenient it would be.
yep I can see you on turkey day,,, I know you couldn't have possibly called it THANKS giving

Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I know what debate is, thank you very much, and nothing I've said implies that I don't.

I'm sorry, I really think you're making up opponents out of thin air. Without presenting examples, you've stated there's this hypocrisy I for one haven't even heard of. Chances are, the same folks who think employees should be able to opt out of working for Pizza Hut on Thanksgiving, think the same for other generally unnecessary obligations that have nothing to do with public health or safety. Though it is a fair argument that the game is every bit as unnecessary, having no record of a single person condoning that tradition but adamantly standing up against businesses that would make fast food workers have to work on Thanksgiving makes your "hypocrisy" accusation unfounded at this time.

But come to think of it, even if someone did take more action in standing against the latter, that may just be a matter of choosing your battles. They should be winnable, or they're a complete waste of time. It would seem the Pizza Hut manager in this story was presented with a very winnable battle. What more is there to be said? No hypocrisy, just rationality.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Question?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
yep I can see you on turkey day,,, I know you couldn't have possibly called it THANKS giving
Hey I was thankful...thankful I live in a city that has options, and is full of business and jobs. I had a great dinner, and a great day with my husband. No since to shut every thing down, what does one gain from it? A lost paycheck, lost business? I know here where we live one lost paycheck is a big deal, and there is more out of work then in. I'm happy when people get to work, thankful for those that did get to work. Life isn't easy in a tourist town, esp when the tourists leave for the winter.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Question?
This is a a "simple" anonymous forum... with no real consequences to what we say, or not say, on here. In fact by the 3rd post, the subject has changed to something entirely different. It is almost comical - I find it all entertaining and with little substance, as it stays within these forum walls. But ENJOY!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Hey I was thankful...thankful I live in a city that has options, and is full of business and jobs. I had a great dinner, and a great day with my husband. No since to shut every thing down, what does one gain from it? A lost paycheck, lost business? I know here where we live one lost paycheck is a big deal, and there is more out of work then in. I'm happy when people get to work, thankful for those that did get to work. Life isn't easy in a tourist town, esp when the tourists leave for the winter.
I hope the people who worked there were just as thankful--I did NOT work and was with family and guess what? GOT paid for it too! ...My job thanks me for being a good employee and pay me to be with family once in a while.
Money is NOT everything! and sometimes family is way more important that that business we have to show up for daily for a sixpence. BUt you were off, why did you not work?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I hope the people who worked there were just as thankful--I did NOT work and was with family and guess what? GOT paid for it too! ...My job thanks me for being a good employee and pay me to be with family once in a while.
Money is NOT everything! and sometimes family is way more important that that business we have to show up for daily for a sixpence. BUt you were off, why did you not work?
I wasn't at work because I can't find a job. Apparently living in a tourist town isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I'd have traded places with them in a heartbeat. Money IS every thing, one needs it to live, esp here. Tell that to someone who has to meet three times the monthly rent to rent any thing and then has to pay 975-2,000 a month for a decent place to live and can't find jobs. Your job may pay for you to be off, but my husbands don't and apparently down here that isn't the norm. Most people here are living on two part time jobs struggling every day to make it. If you are lucky enough to get year around work here, people don't turn it loose. Given what I've seen i'd say they was very thankful to be at work. I'd say anyone that works a holiday should be thankful, it's money in the pockets here, or better yet it's rent money. Family aint important when you got bills and rent, it's funny what really matters in life and here thats a job and money. Without money you aint putting a dinner on any table for any family on any holiday, you wont even have a home to do it in. Here in SC, life IS all about money in one way or another.

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 12-08-2013 at 10:23 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
This is a a "simple" anonymous forum... with no real consequences to what we say, or not say, on here. In fact by the 3rd post, the subject has changed to something entirely different. It is almost comical - I find it all entertaining and with little substance, as it stays within these forum walls. But ENJOY!
.... Alrighty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events