Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I happen to think that Thanksgiving IS special. There will always be essential services that require 24/7 operations. Pizza Hut and Retail are not among them (especially when consumers degenerater into tussling over TV's at Wal-Mart, yeah happy holidays ).
So,its great that he took a stand?

Well,let's see. Next year I will be sure to protest and walk out of the hospital on Thanksgiving.

If all the employees in your local hospital decided they won't work on a holiday,what would you think then?
After all,we have families too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
During my working career, I was obligated to work many hours of overtime and some of it was on holidays. I worked in an office. I did not go crying to the public about it. The point I am attempting to make is that it appears to me that people who are complaining about others who have to work on holidays are very selective. While they cry crocodile tears about those who make it to the media about their problems, they seem to care nothing about and even support the businesses of others who also have to work long hours of overtime to serve and entertain them on holidays and non holidays. I just see a lot of hypocrisy here.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Isn't Thanksgiving a DINNER meal?

(or maybe I'm just confused, since our family doesn't do the weird 2pm dinnertime like some)
Traditional Thanksgiving meal starts around 1PM (as early as noon, as late as 2PM). The time in which it starts is not clear. However, it is clear that it ends before the sun starts going down. Which in most parts of the nation is around 4PM. Currently, most retail employees can enjoy the traditional Thanksgiving meal and still be at work for the 6pm open (or whatever it is).

Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So,its great that he took a stand?

Well,let's see. Next year I will be sure to protest and walk out of the hospital on Thanksgiving.

If all the employees in your local hospital decided they won't work on a holiday,what would you think then?
After all,we have families too.
Hospital workers ≠ retail employees. No one died as a result of not being able to buy a pizza on a Thursday.

On the other hand, most doctor's offices do close on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Hospital workers ≠ retail employees. No one died as a result of not being able to buy a pizza on a Thursday.

On the other hand, most doctor's offices do close on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Since no one died as a result of his actions, he should not be tried for murder. However, for refusing to do his job, it's reasonable for him to get fired.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 AM

4 posts, read 5,313 times
Why even have holidays, then? Let's all work every day of our lives. The almighty dollar is all that matters today, clearly. Hell, why even have weekends? Let's all work seven days a week (and yeah, I know that many people work on weekends, including me--I'm just illustrating a point) every week of the year. Perhaps a return to the feudal system would even be in order. Yeah, employees are scum! Fire 'em whenever they speak up! Serfdom all the way, baby! We should be grateful when the manor lord condescends to crack his whip at us!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If Pizza Hut is the best pizza in your area, I feel sorry for you.
Trust me on this. I have not found better within a reasonable drive from my home.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
During my working career, I was obligated to work many hours of overtime and some of it was on holidays. I worked in an office. I did not go crying to the public about it. The point I am attempting to make is that it appears to me that people who are complaining about others who have to work on holidays are very selective. While they cry crocodile tears about those who make it to the media about their problems, they seem to care nothing about and even support the businesses of others who also have to work long hours of overtime to serve and entertain them on holidays and non holidays. I just see a lot of hypocrisy here.
I don't support anyone having to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day unless it is crucial to health or safety. If the business is using employees (temporary or otherwise) who do not mind or indeed want to work on the holidays, I see no problem with that. If by some miracle, no restaurant or store was open on Thanksgiving, or if the entire internet shut down over it, I would get by just fine. I'd have to remember to be prepared for this in the future, buy everything I needed and make all the plans with friends/family I needed to beforehand, but I wouldn't complain. Phones, no. I consider that an issue of health and safety, not being able to call 911. And I think most of the people on my side of the argument would be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Since no one died as a result of his actions, he should not be tried for murder. However, for refusing to do his job, it's reasonable for him to get fired.
That was up to the powers that were to decide. They decided. He was offered his job back. If we're going to appeal to authority on this, we should be consistent.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernearth View Post
Why even have holidays, then? Let's all work every day of our lives. The almighty dollar is all that matters today, clearly. Hell, why even have weekends? Let's all work seven days a week (and yeah, I know that many people work on weekends, including me--I'm just illustrating a point) every week of the year. Perhaps a return to the feudal system would even be in order. Yeah, employees are scum! Fire 'em whenever they speak up! Serfdom all the way, baby! We should be grateful when the manor lord condescends to crack his whip at us!

^^^^This.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am not you, and I may have a different VALUE system than one you have, I may not need to work that day to make my ends meet and my family time might just mean A LOT more to me than $64 for one day. Some careers warrant this round the clock and you go into it "as is"- Some jobs have NO timing- like an actor... and some are shift work like the medical field or Leos. It is all relevant.
When we can compare salary & benefits to the sacrificing of our nights, holidays, weekends etc. to any given job, then we can talk!
and nobody who doesn't want to work Holidays said anything, about not caring about those that do???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events