Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 11:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
How about because it is the best available in the area??
That's very unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post

That's not quite accurate. Most of the stores didn't even open until the evening. Plenty of time to have the traditional Thanksgiving meal... and several hours after before heading out.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
If employment on certain days with working employees getting Holiday Pay and or overtime I believe there would be plenty of people willing to work. Paid Holiday plus time and a half for working. Where do I sign up?
This was actually brought up by NFL players this year. As you suggest, they wanted more pay to work on the holiday.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Interesting convo. Both sides have made some good points. Some people will always have to work on major holidays -- emergency services, first responders, air, bus, and subway workers, utilities, most supermarkets, many restaurants, medical facilities, entertainment media (TV, radio, cable, internet).

Automation will change this picture, of course. Eventually all Pizza Huts will be operated by robots. Whether this will improve or damage the quality of the product can not be predicted, but it will certainly make it easier to operate these franchises 24x7x365 and then everyone will be well fed. Unemployed, though. That's the catch.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Interesting convo. Both sides have made some good points. Some people will always have to work on major holidays -- emergency services, first responders, air, bus, and subway workers, utilities, most supermarkets, many restaurants, medical facilities, entertainment media (TV, radio, cable, internet).

Automation will change this picture, of course. Eventually all Pizza Huts will be operated by robots. Whether this will improve or damage the quality of the product can not be predicted, but it will certainly make it easier to operate these franchises 24x7x365 and then everyone will be well fed. Unemployed, though. That's the catch.
Well, the quality of the products (pizza) would have to be the same or better with the use of robots or it would not be economically sustainable.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:22 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Thanksgiving has always been and remains one of the most traveled days of the year because family members are joining together to celebrate the day and, above all, family. A day or two before Thanksgiving were always very popular days for employees to try to get off so they could either travel or prepare for a family Thanksgiving in their home. As a manager in my profession, I routinely worked the days leading up to Thanksgiving so I could release as many employees as possible for those days leading up to it. We all had Thanksgiving itself off.

I applaud the Pizza Hut manager. There's something to be said for tradition even if the younger generations don't have any in their families or think its old-fashioned and outmoded. I feel sorry for them and their valueless lives beyond the almighty dollar.
I'd rep you agin, but it's too soon.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You know why I DON'T feel too bad for this guy?

Many,many people like myself have to work on Holidays....including Thanksgiving.

I'm a nurse,so I can't just use"spending time with family" as an excuse to skip work.

I'm pretty sure he would want someone working at the hospital if he got sick on Thansgiving.
So because you can't spend Thanksgiving with your family, you don't want anyone else to be able to spend Thanksgiving with their families?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
How about because it is the best available in the area??
If Pizza Hut is the best pizza in your area, I feel sorry for you.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,964 times
He's better off not going back.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:30 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Or perhaps open just for Dinner so that the workers could enjoy the traditional Thanksgiving meal at home with their family.
Isn't Thanksgiving a DINNER meal?

(or maybe I'm just confused, since our family doesn't do the weird 2pm dinnertime like some)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events