Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,045,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
On TV today they were saying it was post-partum depression.
Wow, I didn't even think about that! But I didn't know the child was only a year old. That would make sense, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:04 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,433,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
On TV today they were saying it was post-partum depression.
It was fatal gunshot wounds that did it.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM

43,799 posts, read 44,572,456 times
Police Activity Over At Stamford Condo Of Woman Killed In DC Capitol Shooting - Courant.com

Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,591,254 times
The conspiracies in why this happened begins.
Victims answer most of the unanswered questions when they are alive.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,284,053 times
I saw headlines as it happened saying "Officers have shooter in custody." Um, does that mean they arrested the police officer that shot the lady? Because the lady wasn't the shooter. Nor was she in custody since she died.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,391,973 times
This entire incident makes me very sad. I had a mild form of PPD after the birth of my twins last year in November. I started treatment with medication and a counselor. I felt myself spinning out of control, when I usually have a good handle on things. I am in a much, much, better place.

I cannot imagine what was going through this mothers mind when she had her sweet little baby with her as she was driving through the barricades.

It saddens me that the police thought it was necessary to use such extreme force against an unarmed women, who by all accounts I have read was of no imminent threat to police. And that poor sweet little baby. It sickens me to think of the trauma that she was put through.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
It saddens me that the police thought it was necessary to use such extreme force against an unarmed women, who by all accounts I have read was of no imminent threat to police. And that poor sweet little baby. It sickens me to think of the trauma that she was put through.
I don't think that the cops that fired the shots that killed the woman are particularly overjoyed with the outcome, but put yourself in their shoes for a moment. You are in charged with defend not only the citizens of the District of Columbia but the seat of power of the nation. You have been targeted by all sorts of nefarious individuals some mentally ill and some not (in the clinical sense). You have a driver on a rampage, is the care filled with explosives, is the driver on some sort of homicidal spree?? You don't freaking know. All you know is that this car and its driver are a threat. You've tried a number of non-lethal measures and nothing brought the car to a stop. What else other than lethal force are you left with?

For me, the woman's family and to the police involved, I doubt that there is much joy over what has taken place.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,628,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't think that the cops that fired the shots that killed the woman are particularly overjoyed with the outcome, but put yourself in their shoes for a moment. You are in charged with defend not only the citizens of the District of Columbia but the seat of power of the nation. You have been targeted by all sorts of nefarious individuals some mentally ill and some not (in the clinical sense). You have a driver on a rampage, is the care filled with explosives, is the driver on some sort of homicidal spree?? You don't freaking know. All you know is that this car and its driver are a threat. You've tried a number of non-lethal measures and nothing brought the car to a stop. What else other than lethal force are you left with?

For me, the woman's family and to the police involved, I doubt that there is much joy over what has taken place.
Definitely. Though cops can certainly be trigger-happy, what other options did they have here? Did they actually know she was unarmed? That doesn't mean she couldn't have done any damage.

If anything, this was more of a failure of the psychiatrists who put her on all those meds, IMO. Those did nothing to help her. From what I've read, she was already clearly a danger to herself and others. Why she even had custody of the kid, I don't understand.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,026,685 times
This was a truly unfortunate tragedy. But as far as the police overreacting, you will find that deadly force was justified because she ran over or hit an officer. In most states a car can be defined as a deadly weapon when the operator uses it recklessly or to harm. Very sad all around.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,870,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Just watched the video footage on CNN (Communist News Network) whilst eating my dinner. Had to wonder at the news commentator's remarks. The police shot at the vehicle as it fled and then shot at it again a second time as it was jockeying with police vehicles after going around that cement circle. The female driver was wounded, I don't know how bad, and there was a child in the car. The police did not know this, or so the commentator said. I just find it strange how the commentator(s) were saying how the police did a good job and the lady needed to be stopped, blah, blah, blah. And yet if this were on the streets of any small town USA or urban setting USA they would be saying EXCESSIVE FORCE and calling for an immediate internal investigation. No firearm was found in the driver's car, to my knowledge and the only thing that I know that she did was not to turn away at the barrier. I guess a higher value is assigned when police are operating on the streets of the nation's capital, as opposed to anywhere USA. Especially if they are federal police and are protecting federal bureaucrats. Not that I want to see police crucified anywhere, because I don't. Does anyone else notice this?

Yes, I noticed it. We support the police all day long, too, but there are questions about this incident that the MNM apparently doesn't care to ask.

Simply put, had this been the capitol police (wearing shorts and pointing guns) surrounding and peering into a car carrying a child in a car seat they claim not to have seen, then approaching the stopped vehicle to shoot a black woman Bonnie and Clyde-style in a hail of bullets during the Bush Administration, Al Sharpton would have been there already, and her relatives would have been clamoring for justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events