Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
This child needs more supervision and more involvement in extra curricular activities maybe many hours a week volunteering.

I think she needs her ass kicked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 12:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think she needs her ass kicked.
That solves everything. <----note my sarcasm.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This is horrific and tragic. I think there are too many factors to place 100% of the blame on the bullies. These are kids, 2 of the 3, not even teens. Whatever happens, I think the punishment should fit the crime. The bullies need therapy, or to work on an anti-bullying campaign or something. Locking them up won't really get to the root of the problem.
I disagree. Even after the girl committed suicide, her tormentor was posting on Facebook that she didn't give a f***. And that girl's father thinks his daughter is a little angel and was hacked. When someone is that out of touch and in complete denial, the only other option to get through to the kid is to punish them. Maybe both parent and child will finally get it through their thick skulls that what happened was wrong. And it sends a message to other kids that actions have consequences, not just to the bullied, but to the bullier as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
As a parent, of five grown children, I am appalled at the actions of these cyberbullies and the apparent lack of parental guidance and awareness. It is tragic and heartbreaking and I for one am glad that this sheriff is standing up to these cruel children and their ignorant parents. I hope they are sent to a program which will teach them empathy, manners and courtesy because they certainly are not getting it from their parents.

Yesterday I was in the grocery store. A father and mother were ahead of me. Their son, approximately 6 years old, was wandering all over, in and out the checkout lines, crying and carrying on. The parents finished checking out and the son had picked up an item he wanted. The mother said, "oh, honey, we already checked out." That little "s*it" starting screaming and crying at the top of his lungs. The father stood there, mute. The mother went and got back in a line to pay for the item this kid wanted. I thought to myself, "good move, lady...wait until he is 16." Too many parents want to be friends with their kids instead of parents and discipline them.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
As a parent, of five grown children, I am appalled at the actions of these cyberbullies and the apparent lack of parental guidance and awareness. It is tragic and heartbreaking and I for one am glad that this sheriff is standing up to these cruel children and their ignorant parents. I hope they are sent to a program which will teach them empathy, manners and courtesy because they certainly are not getting it from their parents.

Yesterday I was in the grocery store. A father and mother were ahead of me. Their son, approximately 6 years old, was wandering all over, in and out the checkout lines, crying and carrying on. The parents finished checking out and the son had picked up an item he wanted. The mother said, "oh, honey, we already checked out." That little "s*it" starting screaming and crying at the top of his lungs. The father stood there, mute. The mother went and got back in a line to pay for the item this kid wanted. I thought to myself, "good move, lady...wait until he is 16." Too many parents want to be friends with their kids instead of parents and discipline them.
That's exactly what that sheriff said "Don't worry about being their best friend, be their best PARENT"

Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I have to say though I actually prefer cyber bullying than to the old fashioned bullying which often turned into he said/she said or they started it first crap.

At least with cyber, you have an evidence trail to follow and can see exactly what was done/said etc. Now in a perfect world, I would ideally like bullying wiped out. But I much prefer the online version NOW than what happened in the past.
I disagree. Yes, you have a digital trail, but so what? That just means it's out there for all to see, and it doesn't easily go away. At least in the old days someone could move away and the bullying would stop. I was bullied, I moved and it stopped. I would have been absolutely mortified had my new school mates found out about the bullying, which can so easily happen these days.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Get back to us when your kids are actually in school, like middle school and they are in tears over math you have absolutely no idea how to help them with. They do not bring home books so you can at least see what they were taught. I have MBA and kept the books and records for my own business for years yet some middle school homework leaves me with glassy eyes. DH has 2 degrees in physics and calculus and sometimes he spends an inordinate amount of time trying to understand homework assignment before he can help out straight A daughter with her homework.

I too do not believe in doing homework assignments and our kids don't even want us to contribute too much. But when they approach with a quizzical look on their face with a sheet of paper with little explanation of what is expected you too will see how much parents have to be involved in homework.
Our first set of kids (we have 2 sets 19 years apart) we had to help very little if at all. It's very different now.
I agree with John Rosemond about this. His advice is that it is absolutely NOT a parent's responsibility to be sitting down for hours with their kids helping them with THEIR homework. That's the key point, it is THEIR homework, not YOUR homework. Period. It matters not how hard or easy the homework is or that it's now the year 2013, the principle is the same.

It is not my job to do my child's homework for them, it is THEIR job. My part is in providing them the environment & making sure they aren't falling behind in getting it done. "Help" never ends with just getting them out of a small jam to where they now have got it & can carry on from there, it always ends up being to where you the parent end up sitting down for hours with them while your own other adult-based roles go to pot, and it teaches them that mommy & daddy will bail them out of their troubles.

As for how that pertains to this--well I'm simply addressing the tendency people have to always blame the parents when things like this go wrong. If the parents were totally 100% uninvolved to the point we could label them "absentee," then it might be a valid point. But when the parent has been teaching their children what right & wrong look like & intervening when their hear of their child's misdeeds, & it's simply a case that the parents couldn't have possibly been aware of every single thing that their child is doing, I think it's wrong to blame them. At some point the KIDS have to be held responsible insomuch that when they're told what to do by their parents/teachers etc, they are to DO it. Period.

LRH

Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Many of the families of bullied kids can't afford an attorney. I know I couldn't afford one if I had this happen to my child. I would approach the school administration and demand changes and more protection for my child in writing and have all personnel sign in in meetings. Just as I have to sign all docs when I myself am in meetings for IEP etc.

If nothing is done or is to my satisfaction, I take up it chain and have the district office move my child to another school. If not, then said child will be homeschooled. And even this isn't an option for many families. And let's say a lawsuit does happen, guess what kid still goes to school and the bullying can be more intense and done in a more secret way. Kids are wily and inventive.

I still think the most effective abd drastic solution is to remove the cause. Remove the bullies themselves and let their parents deal with their own kids.
I don't know that your solution would help. It may actually be worse because all the friends of the bully would continue the bullying, with even more cause in their mind. What needs to happen is for the victims to learn how to deal with bullying, maybe through counseling. If they can fight back effectively, then there would not be a need to change schools. I also think kids are far more aware of the bad effects of bullying these days, and not as willing to participate. This is a good thing.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,585 times
After the parents statements today, looks like the Sheriff is going after them too. Good.

Sheriff weighs charges for parents in bullying death

Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I'll throw something else out there.

Here is a video one of the bullies made, her channel is still up, there's other videos where she takes dares.

What do we think of this?

my secrets - YouTube

Is this the 12 year old Katelyn Roman that was arrested? Going to You Tube this video was published in April 2012.

Parents really need to be aware of what their kids are doing on the internet and cell phones. I can't understand how young girls can be so mean to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events